Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    While it's funny to hear Ryan and don being so butthurt blaming the Democrats- don's 37% is all in on that.

Even though they were in the very solid minority, and the house should have been the easy side to force this through.

And they will also get more blame for not doing what don says.
    Paul Ryan's globalism was exposed. And those exposing it, such as Rand Paul, are now being accused of working with the Russians.

Comment

Taking a look at the activity of the Dow 30, it looks like they tried to do a sell-off once they called off the vote, but then investors said "Oh no you don't, this is a good buying opportunity". Indexes ended up close to even.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        So Typical. That will work with 37% as well.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Paul working for Putin/Russia is one of the most comical bits of all the recent e-tabloid bait. Sometimes I think McCain really is losing it.

Comment

What do you call a man who has no Plan B and has to pull out?

Paul Ryan.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Even Peggy Noonan is sounding sensible today.

https://patriotpost.us/opinion/48182
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And why Republicans were in such a hurry to pass this craptastic plan. It wasn't about providing health care for people. It was all about tax cuts for the wealthy. This aspect of it was what I was trying to get at earlier.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-health-care/

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  And why Republicans were in such a hurry to pass this craptastic plan. It wasn't about providing health care for people. It was all about tax cuts for the wealthy.
                  'Twas always thus. Sic semper tyrannis.

Comment

And why Republicans were in such a hurry to pass this craptastic plan. It wasn't about providing health care for people. It was all about tax cuts for the wealthy. This aspect of it was what I was trying to get at earlier.

And remembering history- a lot of the R complaints about the ACA was that it was "forced" through with none of their input or votes.

Yes, it's overly complicated, yes, it costs money, but in the end, there was a goal of helping people, and as time has gone one, we are finding that out.

For this- it was NEVER about helping people, unless you made clear of $200k.

Comment

That's why I can't figure out why it didn't pass.

1. Tax Cuts.
                      2. Defund Planned Parenthood.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

1. Tax Cuts.

Because for the Freedumb Caucus, it wasn't enough tax cuts.

Comment

1. Tax Cuts.

Because the Republicans are no longer only the party of low taxes for the rich. There is a small zealot group that is the party of ending government.

The "moderate" GOP wants to continue to use government as a coercive force to protect the rich while they exploit everyone else. That's Reaganism. But that's not enough for the radical GOP, who wants to end government so that there is no countervailing mechanism for the people to use to limit the predations of the rich. Conservatives call the latter group "idealists."

Fish and Flag are exemplars of each respective group. Fish is the Old Useful Idiot. He has been trained to run interference for the rich using sophistry and casuistry and keeping attention focused on DC, while the .01% raids the treasury and stashes the loot in the Caymans. Their masterpiece was the Bankster Heist.

Flag, OTOH, is the New Useful Idiot. He has been trained to deride not just government but the Enlightenment and western liberal values. His assumption is there is a deliberate world historical struggle that over-determines all other issues: race, gender, class etc are all just expressions of the fight between The Good trying to escape the clutches of The Bad.

The great irony is that while Fish is 100 times smarter than Flag, Flag is right. Flag's craziness is not his Manicheanism. It's that he's got the two sides exactly reversed.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2017, 09:02 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My take is the Freedumb Caucus and FalseFlagDude get something that most people, from lefties to the media to corp righties to Trump loons don't. What they understand is having a majority does no good if you're never putting in place permanent change that conforms to your agenda. Otherwise, what's the point? 8 years of GWB with approx. 4 1/2 of total govt control gave us one lasting legislative impact - the Iraq War. His tax cuts and defense buildup got reversed and NCLB is either gutted or on its way out.

So, if knucks' aren't going to get rid of the very liberal Obamacare legislation (more on that in a bit) when they have total control of the govt, score one for the Obama admin leaving a permanent legacy where the Bush II admin did not. To that end, I can see Trump's lasting legacy being kicking all illegal immigrants out and building a stupid wall, and not much else.

Regarding the ACA, I would hope my lefty friends now appreciate the legislation much more than they have in their previous commentary out here instead of calling it conservative lite or other such nonsense. A set of requirements that all insurance has to cover. Insurers can't discriminate against people with pre existing conditions. Medicaid expansion. Insurance co's have to spend 80% of revenue on care. Can't charge older people more than 3 times the rate of young people. All these are highly progressive concepts that the true conservatives were hell bent on getting rid of. Anyone who still thinks the ACA is actually a right leaning bill needs to be beaten senseless.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              My take is the Freedumb Caucus and FalseFlagDude get something that most people, from lefties to the media to corp righties to Trump loons don't. What they understand is having a majority does no good if you're never putting in place permanent change that conforms to your agenda. Otherwise, what's the point? 8 years of GWB with approx. 4 1/2 of total govt control gave us one lasting legislative impact - the Iraq War. His tax cuts and defense buildup got reversed and NCLB is either gutted or on its way out.

So, if knucks' aren't going to get rid of the very liberal Obamacare legislation (more on that in a bit) when they have total control of the govt, score one for the Obama admin leaving a permanent legacy where the Bush II admin did not. To that end, I can see Trump's lasting legacy being kicking all illegal immigrants out and building a stupid wall, and not much else.

Regarding the ACA, I would hope my lefty friends now appreciate the legislation much more than they have in their previous commentary out here instead of calling it conservative lite or other such nonsense. A set of requirements that all insurance has to cover. Insurers can't discriminate against people with pre existing conditions. Medicaid expansion. Insurance co's have to spend 80% of revenue on care. Can't charge older people more than 3 times the rate of young people. All these are highly progressive concepts that the true conservatives were hell bent on getting rid of. Anyone who still thinks the ACA is actually a right leaning bill needs to be beaten senseless.
                              So?

It was a rightie bill. Period. We can't help it that the right is no longer in the center sphere. The bill was a massive compromise all over the place. Giving up the public option, for example, made the bill massively small "c" conservative.

Comment

So?

It was a rightie bill. Period. We can't help it that the right is no longer in the center sphere. The bill was a massive compromise all over the place. Giving up the public option, for example, made the bill massively small "c" conservative.
                                Scoobs, you need to be beaten senseless.

Seriously though, I think you're missing an important point. Single payer was never going to happen 7 years ago when bill was passed. As in, it had zero chance. So, do you keep the system as it was? Do you propose a bill with no chance of being enacted (see Ryan, Paul and AHCA)? Or do you do what was done, which is pass into law a bill with core liberal concepts that the American people are now apparently all in on, especially given their reaction when these things were about to be taken away?

I've said this before about Dodd-Frank and the ACA. Conservatives hate both because its a victory for liberalism. If the liberals themselves are also trashing the legislation, are they not playing right into the hands of the conservatives? No wonder lefties don't vote.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X