Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Oh yes, of course it will be done overnight
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Mookie can't wait to visit chiner and partake

Comment

Too perfect. Just needs a "MAI WAIFU" caption:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          How does it change the employee expenditures for the companies? Instead of Widget Co paying (just tossing out a number here, $15,000) to Big Bill Insurance for its employer-sponsored plan, that payment is now made to the government through employee Bob's tax collections. If Bob isn't receiving the money that had previously gone to Big Bill Insurance Co., then Bob is now getting a raw deal as his taxes are going up without an offset to cover that additional cost. So he's essentially getting a reduced compensation package from Widget Co. Bob and his coworkers won't stand for that, so Widget Co will now pay Bob that erstwhile $15K Big Bill Ins Co premium as taxable income.
          My guess is Bob and his co workers will stand for that or they'll be out of a job. Never heard of companies willingly giving back the money to employees when the govt lowers their expenses. 99.999 times it goes to the shareholders or exec management.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            My guess is Bob and his co workers will stand for that or they'll be out of a job. Never heard of companies willingly giving back the money to employees when the govt lowers their expenses. 99.999 times it goes to the shareholders or exec management.
            Thousands of dollars lost per employee will not stand. You'll have a mass exodus from any company that refused the employees a raise in their taxable pay as the premiums paid are already compensation to employees in lieu of cash. If people here have surmised correctly, and a single-payer system is cheaper, then the company could drop their next expenses by, say, 10% of the premiums, keep their employees' standards of living the same, and still save cash.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm sort of in the middle with this. It's a competitive market out there. Places like 3M are giving paternal leave and extended maternal leave without being required to. Top employers have to offer this kind of benefit to stay competitive. I would assume these kinds of companies would do something similar if health insurance were removed from employment.

On the other hand, if all of industry decided to not do it, or even a plurality of companies, most would drop it. Most companies drive towards the mean for a lot of benefits.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Sorry, but its fantasyland thinking that the savings corporations get from not providing health insurance is going to back to the employees. Unless you mandate that as part of the law, you've been living in a different country than I have over the last 40 years. Bob and crew will be worse off and they'll get nothing and like it as judge Smails would say.

Agreed on either everybody does it, or nobody does it. My guess is nobody does it. There may be an occasional outlier. For example my employer gives 16 weeks off with full pay for maternity and paternity leave. That's far outside the norm, but its not costing them anything. This would be a huge boost to corporate profits. Boosts in corporate profits go to shareholders and executive management first and foremost, and to Bob last.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

agree. people will only see (depending on funding of course) their premiums that come out of their paycheck no longer doing so.

Comment

Sorry, but its fantasyland thinking that the savings corporations get from not providing health insurance is going to back to the employees. Unless you mandate that as part of the law, you've been living in a different country than I have over the last 40 years. Bob and crew will be worse off and they'll get nothing and like it as judge Smails would say.

Agreed on either everybody does it, or nobody does it. My guess is nobody does it. There may be an occasional outlier. For example my employer gives 16 weeks off with full pay for maternity and paternity leave. That's far outside the norm, but its not costing them anything. This would be a huge boost to corporate profits. Boosts in corporate profits go to shareholders and executive management first and foremost, and to Bob last.
                    True dat, and I don't know whether anybody will seriously argue with you. When corporations act "nobly" by extending benefits they're not forced to, it's because at some level they are forced to -- competition for scarce, high-skilled employees in the upper echelon of fields like medicine, tech, and science generally. That kind of carrot is still going to be extended no matter what the general health care climate is, and anyway those people aren't the ones hurting since ironically they actually can pay out of pocket for their own care.

I see the logic in letting people who are covered by their employers have the option to keep their plans. As a rule, people hate change, and with something like health insurance and heath care they fear it for rational reasons. If you're doing OK in your row boat in shark-infested waters, you are afraid to let a hundred people swimming in the water into your boat (Obamacare) but you're equally afraid to leave your rowboat for a fancy new raft that can take everyone (Single Payer). Leave the rowboats alone while we launch the raft to pick up the vulnerable people.

It's true some of the sharks are the insurance industry and the various other parasitic industries that have been built to exploit people's dread of the cost of illness. The health care insurance industry is basically a protection racket. As a practical first step, let people who are happy paying protection money keep doing it while we take care of those who can't make the payments.

We are in the 1860s and watching the development of fire departments. First they are private and obey profit motive considerations, only putting out fires at premium-payers' houses. The first thing to do is create a network of public, non-profit fire departments. Don't bother trying to pry people away from private sector firehouses -- eventually, that will either take care of itself or they will somehow actually manage to stay competitive in which case they aren't hurting anybody.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      True dat, and I don't know whether anybody will seriously argue with you. When corporations act "nobly" by extending benefits they're not forced to, it's because at some level they are forced to -- competition for scarce, high-skilled employees in the upper echelon of fields like medicine, tech, and science generally. That kind of carrot is still going to be extended no matter what the general health care climate is, and anyway those people aren't the ones hurting since ironically they actually can pay out of pocket for their own care.

I see the logic in letting people who are covered by their employers have the option to keep their plans. As a rule, people hate change, and with something like health insurance and heath care they fear it for rational reasons. If you're doing OK in your row boat in shark-infested waters, you are afraid to let a hundred people swimming in the water into your boat (Obamacare) but you're equally afraid to leave your rowboat for a fancy new raft that can take everyone (Single Payer). Leave the rowboats alone while we launch the raft to pick up the vulnerable people.

It's true some of the sharks are the insurance industry and the various other parasitic industries that have been built to exploit people's dread of the cost of illness. The health care insurance industry is basically a protection racket. As a practical first step, let people who are happy paying protection money keep doing it while we take care of those who can't make the payments.

We are in the 1860s and watching the development of fire departments. First they are private and obey profit motive considerations, only putting out fires at premium-payers' houses. The first thing to do is create a network of public, non-profit fire departments. Don't bother trying to pry people away from private sector firehouses -- eventually, that will either take care of itself or they will somehow actually manage to stay competitive in which case they aren't hurting anybody.
                      Excellent summary and exactly what I'm trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        except then there was the ability to pay for the newfound public firehouses.

now, not so much.

Comment

Oops: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ba3b3ec75a26

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            except then there was the ability to pay for the newfound public firehouses.

now, not so much.
                            Cut the military budget by 2/3rds. Use half of the savings to pay down the principal on the debt and the other third for health insurance. And... done.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Cut the military budget by 2/3rds. Use half of the savings to pay down the principal on the debt and the other third for health insurance. And... done.
                              Right after Halle Berry comes over and makes mookie lunch

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Right after Halle Berry comes over and makes mookie lunch
                                Aim higher, man.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X