Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    You're one twisted ******.
    hey, I'm not the one that wants to ****** over tens of millions of people just to undo something Obama did.

Comment

Bass is correct, also from CNBC...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/14/cbo-r...ommentary.html
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        hey, I'm not the one that wants to ****** over tens of millions of people just to undo something Obama did.
        The people I know who want the ACA repealed are the ones who got f--ked over by it in the first place. My neighbor owns his own small business, provided insurance for his family before the ACA, and then his premiums tripled. Yeah, his motivation is that he wants people to die in the streets.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The people I know who want the ACA repealed are the ones who got f--ked over by it in the first place. My neighbor owns his own small business, provided insurance for his family before the ACA, and then his premiums tripled. Yeah, his motivation is that he wants people to die in the streets.
          Two things:
          1. Those premiums would have likely gone up with or without the ACA. I don't know about how fast they tripled, but my healthcare costs have gone up too, significantly, on an employer self insured plan.
          2. The Republicans have done everything they could to strip important parts of the ACA out of the ACA. They wanted it to fail. They needed it to fail. Instead of trying to fix it, they threw it an anchor and told it to swim. They also fired a couple of shots at it too, you know, just in case.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Their voters don't like it cause it retains too much of Obamacare. It's not "conservative" enough for them.
            The only relevant point.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Two things:
              1. Those premiums would have likely gone up with or without the ACA. I don't know about how fast they tripled, but my healthcare costs have gone up too, significantly, on an employer self insured plan.
              2. The Republicans have done everything they could to strip important parts of the ACA out of the ACA. They wanted it to fail. They needed it to fail. Instead of trying to fix it, they threw it an anchor and told it to swim. They also fired a couple of shots at it too, you know, just in case.
              Premiums had been going up 8-10% per year for the country on average prior to the ACA. It would've taken a long, long time for them to triple.

When you're arguing about the details behind the law that formed the ACA, the Average Joe was looking at his pocketbook and focusing on how he was going to afford his insurance. The details of the bill mattered little to him at that point. And the Average Joe saw who was in power when it passed, and thus the blame was set and the 2016 vote was cast.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Two things:
                I always preferred the analogy that they had a poker game, stacked the deck, dealt themselves a full house each game and then wondered why the other people couldnt win.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Premiums had been going up 8-10% per year for the country on average prior to the ACA. It would've taken a long, long time for them to triple.

When you're arguing about the details behind the law that formed the ACA, the Average Joe was looking at his pocketbook and focusing on how he was going to afford his insurance. The details of the bill mattered little to him at that point. And the Average Joe saw who was in power when it passed, and thus the blame was set and the 2016 vote was cast.
                  The power of compound interest. 9% annual increases takes 9 years to double and 14 years to triple. Not as long as you'd think.

Comment

The tea party started protesting the ACA before the ink was dry and anyone's premiums changed.

How does your neighbor's plan compare? Did it have a cap? Are we making an apples to apples comparison?

The truth is Americans are getting fatter and more unhealthy. The only way to bring costs down would be for everyone to suddenly loose 50 pounds, force all young healthy people to enroll in insurance, and maybe even ban for-profit healthcare and insurance providers.

Doesn't research suggest premiums increased less with ACA than they would have without it?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      The only relevant point.
                      But you strip the Obamacare lite parts of it out, and their voters will like it. An even more horrible bill which would get passed.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        The power of compound interest. 9% annual increases takes 9 years to double and 14 years to triple. Not as long as you'd think.
                        Still not the, what, 7 years since the law was passed (very end of 2009) and 3 years since its required insurance policies took effect.

Comment

The tea party started protesting the ACA before the ink was dry and anyone's premiums changed.

How does your neighbor's plan compare? Did it have a cap? Are we making an apples to apples comparison?

The truth is Americans are getting fatter and more unhealthy. The only way to bring costs down would be for everyone to suddenly loose 50 pounds, force all young healthy people to enroll in insurance, and maybe even ban for-profit healthcare and insurance providers.

Doesn't research suggest premiums increased less with ACA than they would have without it?
                          For similar coverage, perhaps. The problem for most people is that the ACA forced a lot more coverage for each person, regardless of whether or not they wanted it.

Also, a big part of my point is the political optics. The Democrats put themselves in place to be blamed, and the Republicans facilitated that as much as they could, and this is what you get. The "game" was played better by the Right side than the Left side.

Comment

I imagine the righties on here, like Joe, are just giddy that tens of millions are going to lose insurance, some of whom will die.
                            No one gets out alive. I'm sure Joe wants folks to die
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Still not the, what, 7 years since the law was passed (very end of 2009) and 3 years since its required insurance policies took effect.
                              So the solution is to repeal it and give the top 1% a $600 billion tax cut?

No, the solution is to stop the bleeding the GOP induced when it gutted the bill, repeatedly. Or single payer. I'm ready to give it a shot.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The national growth rate for health insurance premiums slowed with the ACA. So while anecdotally someone's tripled, that was no where close to the norm. Maybe his costs would have quadrupled if not for the ACA? And it is not attributed to higher deductibles either, growth in deductibles was higher before the ACA than it was after as well. Facts and data simply don't back up the ACA driving up costs.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publ...ce-cost-growth

Comment

Working...
                                X