Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Cost is the only issue. If cost weren't an issue everyone would already be covered.
    The issue is direct costs related to those purchasing from the individual exchange markets. Those plans are separate from the employer group plans, and they're being priced separately from employer sponsored plans. Group plans have the healthy and the infirmed aggregated already, whereas the infirmed are the majority of people signing up for the exchanges. So the price changes for those specific products reflect that.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The issue is direct costs related to those purchasing from the individual exchange markets. Those plans are separate from the employer group plans, and they're being priced separately from employer sponsored plans. Group plans have the healthy and the infirmed aggregated already, whereas the infirmed are the majority of people signing up for the exchanges. So the price changes for those specific products reflect that.
      I think the way pools are designed is wrong. Pools are designed right now to benefit the insurance industry instead of the consumer and taxpayer. Case in point. My company is a separate pool. Why? When I buy car insurance the pool is all of the cars insured by my insurance company. What the Feds need to do is put all pre-existing conditions in a Federal Pool to distribute out the costs. I believe that's what Maine did Statewide successfully. It would be even better with a bigger bucket.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think the way pools are designed is wrong. Pools are designed right now to benefit the insurance industry instead of the consumer and taxpayer. Case in point. My company is a separate pool. Why? When I buy car insurance the pool is all of the cars insured by my insurance company. What the Feds need to do is put all pre-existing conditions in a Federal Pool to distribute out the costs. I believe that's what Maine did Statewide successfully. It would be even better with a bigger bucket.
        Care insurance doesn't work that way.

Are you <25 years old, male, single and have no children, and have prior tickets/accidents? That's a high-risk pool, and priced accordingly.
        Are you >35, married, with children, and a clean record? That's a low-risk pool, and priced accordingly.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Care insurance doesn't work that way.

Are you <25 years old, male, single and have no children, and have prior tickets/accidents? That's a high-risk pool, and priced accordingly.
          Are you >35, married, with children, and a clean record? That's a low-risk pool, and priced accordingly.
          Yes, but those pools extend across the entire insurance company. That's not how they do Medical insurance. Medical insurance pools are smaller (your company size). Or you as an individual. Insurance is supposed to spread out the costs to everyone so it's affordable for the individual. That's not how medical insurance is being done.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Cost is the only issue. If cost weren't an issue everyone would already be covered.
            Sorry I'm not strictly talking about costs of coverage- more like costs of services too. I've spent time in network and contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Sorry I'm not strictly talking about costs of coverage- more like costs of services too. I've spent time in network and contracting.
              No, exactly correct. Cost of services is an issue as well. We need to find cheaper, better, faster ways to diagnose things and we can start by finding a cheaper way to do MRI's. MRI's are avoided like the plague because they cost so much and yet they are the doctor's best tool for many diagnosis. We need a better tool that's cheaper or we need to find a way to make MRI's cheap.

Comment

No, exactly correct. Cost of services is an issue as well. We need to find cheaper, better, faster ways to diagnose things and we can start by finding a cheaper way to do MRI's. MRI's are avoided like the plague because they cost so much and yet they are the doctor's best tool for many diagnosis. We need a better tool that's cheaper or we need to find a way to make MRI's cheap.
                There are imaging companies that have started popping up, offering cheap MRIs. Cheap for an MRI is a relative term, because the cost of the machine is so expensive, but the market has already started moving the price down. There's a company in MN that's been advertising that exact thing for the past year or so. My most recent MRI was only about $300. Three years ago it was closer to $1,500 billed to my insurance.

Comment

There are imaging companies that have started popping up, offering cheap MRIs. Cheap for an MRI is a relative term, because the cost of the machine is so expensive, but the market has already started moving the price down. There's a company in MN that's been advertising that exact thing for the past year or so. My most recent MRI was only about $300. Three years ago it was closer to $1,500 billed to my insurance.
                  Good to know. The last one that I paid for was just last year and it was $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    You know why he wrote this right? he is friggin afraid. That is why he had to have a security detail at the airport when he came home the other day. he knows he is in a lot of trouble over this and he is praying that the people in his district buy his BS. Spoiler alert: they dont. People on both sides are ticked off because unlike him they actually read the bill.
                    He should be afraid. Don'tcha know all DemoRAT voters are violent Marxists?

Comment

Yes, but those pools extend across the entire insurance company. That's not how they do Medical insurance. Medical insurance pools are smaller (your company size). Or you as an individual. Insurance is supposed to spread out the costs to everyone so it's affordable for the individual. That's not how medical insurance is being done.
                      oh right.... cigna doesn't extend their risk across anything. tiny company size pools....
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        The MRI costs $300. Interpreting the results (billed separately) will cost you $1,200.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The MRI costs $300. Interpreting the results (billed separately) will cost you $1,200.
                          No, I paid $60. The whole thing came out to be just north of $300.

Comment

Much of the MRI cost is in the interpretation. I would also add that many MRIs from the outside "low cost" centers can often be near worthless. They are cheaper for one because they are often done on less powerful machines. Another aspect is the protocol. An MRI at an academic center usually has a well experienced radiologist look over the order (who has access to the complete medical record), deem which sequences are best and make sure they are performed correctly. I am able to consult with the radiologist and get the most bang for our buck on a single MRI.

I think it is important to provide choice but a patient needs to know the downsides. I end up repeating most "MRI in a box" MRIs because they are done so **** poorly that one cannot tell much from them. Sure, some cases you can get by with that (I think ortho questions are generally better answered as they have a much simpler set of sequences) but for the most part in my field, it is a waste of time and money.

And do not get me started on open MRIs
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

What's wrong with open MRIs? :-D ; )
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                What's wrong with open MRIs?
                                It is like watching TV on an 8 in black and white screen when you are used to a 4K HD TV

Physics does not play well with open MRI imaging
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X