Future of the NEHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future of the NEHC

man all these new divisions are giving me a headache,with all these new teams,how many teams will make it to the NCAA's,looks like those in the smokie room will have their hands full

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
      man all these new divisions are giving me a headache,with all these new teams,how many teams will make it to the NCAA's,looks like those in the smokie room will have their hands full
      Pool A (the auto bids) - 8 teams
      NESCAC
      MASCAC
      SUNYAC ac ac ac ac. you oughta know by now
      UCHC
      CCC
      NEHC
      NCHA
      MIAC

Pool B
      0 - UCHC getting Pool A kills Pool B

Pool C
      4 teams
      Last edited by joecct; 01-25-2017, 09:16 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Pool A (the auto bids) - 7 teams
        NESCAC
        MASCAC
        SUNYAC ac ac ac ac. you oughta know by now
        UCHC
        CCC
        NCHA
        MIAC

Pool B
        0 - UCHC getting Pool A kills Pool B

Pool C
        5 teams
        And NEHC stops receiving an auto bid because?
        The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
          Also, questions answered. It's Suffolk and Johnson & Wales for 2018-19 with Salem State joining on the Women's side only:
          Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Are we raiding the CCC's affiliate membership pool?

Looks like they have 3 affiliate members and only need 1 to keep the AQ
          Called it.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
            Yeah ... what is with that?

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
              knew i forgot one!!
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Let's leave academics out of it. I don't think the NEHC really cares one way or the other. NEC, USM and Norwich aren't exactly in the Ivy League either (in fact, Forbes ranks Castleton ahead of all three of them).
                Actually, for a lot of conferences, academics is a big deal.

Schools like to form conferences with like schools, and that isn't just geography and sports. It's also academics and common ideals. That's why Hamilton is part of NESCAC. That's why NESCAC kicked out Union way back when.

That's even why the SUNYAC voted against Canton joining. Seriously.

ECAC Hockey rejected Niagara many years ago, because Niagara did not meet the academic standards of the member institutions. In fact, ECAC asked RIT to join, but RIT wasn't D1 at the time and they weren't interested in going D1 at the time. That's why Quinnipiac is part of the ECAC when they were looking for a new member. They fit the academic standards ECAC Hockey was looking for.

Even big time D1 conferences consider academics important. Go read the history of why the PAC-12 wanted Texas and Texas considered the PAC-12. It wasn't just the size of the school, athletic tradition, and the TV market it opened up. It was also because Texas was aligned with a lot of the PAC-12 institutions when it came to research grant money for graduate studies.

Don't kid yourself thinking academics do not play a role in conference alignment. In many cases, they play a very important role.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Also, questions answered. It's Suffolk and Johnson & Wales for 2018-19 with Salem State joining on the Women's side only
                  How many times is Salem State going to change conferences?
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Are JWU and Suffolk poised to compete in the NEHC? I don't know much about them, but my initial impression is that they have ground to gain.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      Are JWU and Suffolk poised to compete in the NEHC? I don't know much about them, but my initial impression is that they have ground to gain.
                      They won't be much worse than (and probably better) than DWC's role as a scheduling partner and St. Mike's. Hobart will be an upgrade over St. As, so overall the conference is improved.

What will be an interesting question is the playoff structure. It could go back to the old ECAC East structure (when the NESCACs were members) of 10 teams (a play in round with 10 at 7, and 9 at 8, with the lowest surviving seed playing at 1 in the quarters, and the other survivor playing at 2), or it could follow the NESCAC's plan of dropping the bottom 2 from the playoffs.

Comment

They won't be much worse than (and probably better) than DWC's role as a scheduling partner and St. Mike's. Hobart will be an upgrade over St. As, so overall the conference is improved.

What will be an interesting question is the playoff structure. It could go back to the old ECAC East structure (when the NESCACs were members) of 10 teams (a play in round with 10 at 7, and 9 at 8, with the lowest surviving seed playing at 1 in the quarters, and the other survivor playing at 2), or it could follow the NESCAC's plan of dropping the bottom 2 from the playoffs.
                        I'd vote for all 10 with the playin on Wednesday (giving 2 days to prepare) and the QF on Saturday.

Currently, do teams in the NEHC travel for the playoffs on Friday or Saturday AM?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          Ya Suffolk and JWU are an upgrade over DWC and probably St. Mike's as well. UNE hasn't run away with the CCC as many people assumed they would, so maybe JWU and Suffolk will surprise some people too.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Don't kid yourself thinking academics do not play a role in conference alignment. In many cases, they play a very important role.
                          I'm not saying that athletic conferences in general don't care about academics. Many do. I'm just saying the NEHC, with schools ranging from Babson and St. A's to USM and Castleton, isn't one of them. I don't think they're suddenly going to get all high and mighty about their academics. If the SUNYAC won't take Canton (for whatever reason), I don't see why the NEHC wouldn't. They have better on-campus facilities for hockey the Hobart, Suffolk and JWU.
                          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            I'd vote for all 10 with the playin on Wednesday (giving 2 days to prepare) and the QF on Saturday.

Currently, do teams in the NEHC travel for the playoffs on Friday or Saturday AM?
                            Can't say with certainty, since Norwich was the #1 Seed for all those years, but my recollection is that the visiting teams would roll in on Friday and get a skate at Krietzberg the day before they lost.

Comment

Can't say with certainty, since Norwich was the #1 Seed for all those years, but my recollection is that the visiting teams would roll in on Friday and get a skate at Krietzberg the day before they lost.
                              I recall that overtime game against Mass-Boston.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This made me smile.
                                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X