Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

2016:
    Beanpot - 61,068
    NSCC - 47,168

2015:
    Beanpot - 57,546
    NSCC - 57,430

2014:
    Beanpot - 64,682
    NSCC - 57,812
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      But adding Notre Dame has nothing to do with the fact that this tournament is poorly attended.....
      Nope...that likely has more to do with the fact they were counting on more gopher fans attending but since MN has struggled with the in-state teams, most don't want to go if it looks like the gophers are going to lose.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

But adding Notre Dame has nothing to do with the fact that this tournament is poorly attended.....
        The NCSS was cancelled due to money - not fan enthusiasm as claimed. You want to know what's bad for fan enthusiasm (both at MN and around the state)...replacing heated rivalries with UMD, MN State, SCSU, BSU, UND, Denver, etc. with milk toast Notre Dame. Now I sense that you're going to say that one has nothing to do with the other...and when you do, I won't reply.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          The NCSS was cancelled due to money - not fan enthusiasm as claimed. You want to know what's bad for fan enthusiasm (both at MN and around the state)...replacing heated rivalries with UMD, MN State, SCSU, BSU, UND, Denver, etc. with milk toast Notre Dame. Now I sense that you're going to say that one has nothing to do with the other...and when you do, I won't reply.
          I guess I just don't see your point in blaming Notre Dame/B1G. Yes, I understand that with the addition of ND there will be less non-conference games to go around. But this tournament isn't working and the other MN schools have stated that they'd rather just have home games against the Gophers.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

...replacing heated rivalries with UMD, MN State, SCSU, BSU, UND, Denver, etc. with milk toast Notre Dame.
            Not exactly milk toast considering their #19 Pairwise ranking is ahead of Bemidji's #24 and Mankato's #31. Plus they've split with #1 Duluth and have wins over #14 BC and #10 Lowell. So not exactly milk toast.

Going forward I would much prefer to have Notre Dame on the schedule and in the conference than past "heated rivalry" schools like Anchorage, Colorado College and Michigan Tech.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I guess I just don't see your point in blaming Notre Dame/B1G. Yes, I understand that with the addition of ND there will be less non-conference games to go around. But this tournament isn't working and the other MN schools have stated that they'd rather just have home games against the Gophers.
              Serratore and Motzko are on record as stating they wanted to give the NSCC more time to develop.

http://www.startribune.com/empty-sea...cup/411787876/
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Also, the B1G truly can't win. They get ripped for only having six teams, lower competition than the old WCHA/CCHA, etc etc.

So they bring in an affiliate member school, a big name school with a decent hockey tradition, and they still get ripped. I'm not a B1G apologist, it is what it is at this point it's time to accept it and move on, but I feel like anything they do will be wrong in some people's eyes.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Nope...that likely has more to do with the fact they were counting on more gopher fans attending but since MN has struggled with the in-state teams, most don't want to go if it looks like the gophers are going to lose.
                  Can't really disagree.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I'm not a B1G apologist, it is what it is at this point it's time to accept it and move on.
                    That's the problem. Most people have moved on...to some other source of entertainment.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Guys. It's milquetoast.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The NCHC was a panic move by some schools because of a feared recruiting advantage of the B1G. The CCHA(+UAH) and the WCHA would have been fine and the buildings (and coffers) would be fuller.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Guys. It's milquetoast.
                          Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that.

The problem with Notre Dame, like most of the B1G is geography. People grew accustomed to having most games against teams that were within an easy driving distance; many of these same teams had a large number of fans living in the area. It made for a fun atmosphere. After Wisconsin, the next closest team is in Michigan. It's just not the same, no matter how big of a name the school may have.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The problem with Notre Dame, like most of the B1G is geography. People grew accustomed to having most games against teams that were within an easy driving distance; many of these same teams had a large number of fans living in the area. It made for a fun atmosphere. After Wisconsin, the next closest team is in Michigan. It's just not the same, no matter how big of a name the school may have.
                            Agreed, and this is what's hurt the other conferences as well. Since the formation of the "new" WCHA, the only Kato road games I've been to were in Duluth, Omaha, and Mariucci, all nonconference games but all of which were conference games in the "old" WCHA. And I really don't plan on driving to Fairbanks or Big Rapids anytime soon. The current alignments just seem disappointing at best and unsustainable at worst.

All of which is, I guess, a long way from the thread topic of the NSCC, which I thought was kinda cool, and produced one the weirdest/wildest hockey moments of the last few years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Q5p1XDAxs.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              Agreed, and this is what's hurt the other conferences as well. Since the formation of the "new" WCHA, the only Kato road games I've been to were in Duluth, Omaha, and Mariucci, all nonconference games but all of which were conference games in the "old" WCHA. And I really don't plan on driving to Fairbanks or Big Rapids anytime soon. The current alignments just seem disappointing at best and unsustainable at worst.

All of which is, I guess, a long way from the thread topic of the NSCC, which I thought was kinda cool, and produced one the weirdest/wildest hockey moments of the last few years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Q5p1XDAxs.
                              Yes and no, regarding going off topic. The whole idea behind the NSCC was to recapture, or maintain, such rivalries as they were. Clearly it failed, though.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Is there something unique about hockey that makes geography the problem? Seems like Big Ten basketball and football do fine.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X