Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    12K / 12,167 announced? Nope
    The bowl was full. The upper deck was full. The club was full and the suites were mostly full.

Yep.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      The bowl was full. The upper deck was full. The club was full and the suites were mostly full.

Yep.
      The bowl wasn't full. During the first game on Saturday I was in the corner, row 13, and there was only one other person aside from me and my brother in that row. Most of the rows were like that in the corners and at the ends. The sides of the rink were mostly full, but we still were able to move there without incident for the SCSU/UMD game. And we ended up there because my college roommate happened to run into us during the time between games, and there was room in the row where he and his family were sitting - who were squatting there already.

12,000 seems about right, though. Looking around the arena, I commented to my brother that the crowd would more than fill up Mariucci, and he agreed.

This year was perhaps the best for attendance aside from the first year. Again, the entire tournament hinged on the Gophers putting a good team on the ice to get some wins. This is the first year where their fans could reasonably expect to have a shot at winning the whole thing.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        The bowl wasn't full. During the first game on Saturday I was in the corner, row 13, and there was only one other person aside from me and my brother in that row. Most of the rows were like that in the corners and at the ends. The sides of the rink were mostly full, but we still were able to move there without incident for the SCSU/UMD game. And we ended up there because my college roommate happened to run into us during the time between games, and there was room in the row where he and his family were sitting - who were squatting there already.

12,000 seems about right, though. Looking around the arena, I commented to my brother that the crowd would more than fill up Mariucci, and he agreed.
        I would agree on your observations on the attendance. Three other points:
        1) Why didn't they fill up the lower bowl first before seating people way up high? Would have made for a much better atmosphere.
        2) They should have also seated the bands in the lower bowl. They just didn't have the same impact on the atmosphere playing way up there in the heavens.
        3) The Gophers have the best cheerleaders. Not even close!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

This year was perhaps the best for attendance aside from the first year. Again, the entire tournament hinged on the Gophers putting a good team on the ice to get some wins. This is the first year where their fans could reasonably expect to have a shot at winning the whole thing.
          I was talking about Friday night.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Saturday's attendance was listed at 11,098 for both games. I went down from Duluth when I heard the championship game was not being televised by FSNorth. Really odd they would not televise it as FSNorth shows non-Gopher games during the regular season. Several UMD games vs. non Gopher opponents have been shown this season on FSNorth. For them not to show two state of Minnesota teams in markets they broadcast in is really odd. Sure they got lots of calls from Duluth and St. Cloud fans.
            tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
              For them not to show two state of Minnesota teams in markets they broadcast in is really odd. Sure they got lots of calls from Duluth and St. Cloud fans.
              Especially since the Wild were off all weekend. You would think they would have shown at least the championship game, on FSN+ if need be. But no doubt NOT televising the game helped attendance, at least a little...must have been at least a few others like yourself (and fans from St. Cloud) who decided to drive down.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Especially since the Wild were off all weekend. You would think they would have shown at least the championship game, on FSN+ if need be. But no doubt NOT televising the game helped attendance, at least a little...must have been at least a few others like yourself (and fans from St. Cloud) who decided to drive down.
                I didn't go to Friday's game because it started at 4PM, and I wouldn't have been able to get to the arena until the 3rd period was underway. When I heard the Huskies won - figured they would - I started asking friends who I knew would be interested if they wanted to go see the game. Just after I started asking, my brother contacted me for the same purpose because his wife backed out after the Gophers lost Friday night. Win-win for me!
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Kudos to the many Duluth fans who showed up and gave their team so much support. When they scored their first goal I was surprising how many there were.
                  Now that you mention it there was a lot of us. Only chance for many UMD fans living in the Cities to see them so close. Much better showing than they had in the Frozen Faceoff last year
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It was great to see UMD win that trophy in the last year of the tournament. Makes up for having the old Taconite Cup that went missing long ago

I'm also really happy to see UMD win a game against SCSU that would have no business winning if it were not for some great goaltending by Miska. Gonna be a fun rest of the season
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      It was great to see UMD win that trophy in the last year of the tournament. Makes up for having the old Taconite Cup that went missing long ago

I'm also really happy to see UMD win a game against SCSU that would have no business winning if it were not for some great goaltending by Miska. Gonna be a fun rest of the season
                      Good luck the rest of the season, you guys have a helluva team, and congrats on your win over the Gophers...even though we outshot ya 22-2 in the 3rd period.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Good luck the rest of the season, you guys have a helluva team, and congrats on your win over the Gophers...even though we outshot ya 22-2 in the 3rd period.
                        thank you. I'll just focus on the clinic that UMD put on the Gophers in the 2nd
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                        X