Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
    Announced today, this will be the last North Star Cup.
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ege_cup_to.php

The 1st Place teams from the Big10, NCHC and WCHA and a young/talented SCSU team faceoff for Minnesota bragging rights! Should be some really good games.
    That bit of information has been around for a while now, so it's really just a subsequent notification that the tournament is on its last year. It always relied heavily upon Gopher fans to fill the arena, but when they're playing poorly the fans stay home just like most other teams. There aren't enough fans of the other schools in the area to really fill that the X, and they would never relocate it anywhere else because the money just wouldn't be there.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      That bit of information has been around for a while now, so it's really just a subsequent notification that the tournament is on its last year. It always relied heavily upon Gopher fans to fill the arena, but when they're playing poorly the fans stay home just like most other teams. There aren't enough fans of the other schools in the area to really fill that the X, and they would never relocate it anywhere else because the money just wouldn't be there.
      As if Notre Dame will outdraw it. I'm fine with the B1G...but they really are trying to make the conference as bad as possible.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Subscribed because I'll see you all in hell
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Subscribed because I'll see you all in hell
          "You know you got to go through hell before you get to heaven"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEp_IAfyldo
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Did I say hell? I meant St. Paul during winter carnival.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Did I say hell? I meant St. Paul during winter carnival.
              oh ****. Hopefully parking near Tom Reid's will help.

Sad this event didn't catch on...perhaps in a different era it would have. Although I'm selfishly sad it's over because it's nice to have my team much closer than usual.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

What's funny is attendance isn't that far off the bean pot last I checked.
                Code:

Comment

Interesting theory on the low fan turnout:

Prices matter, but really for a fan of St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth or Bemidji, St. Paul is far enough that they almost have to make a weekend out of it. That's a much bigger deal than the bean pot faithful who have an easy metro drive and pays only the price of a ticket.
                  I don't think ticket prices helped either.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    As if Notre Dame will outdraw it. I'm fine with the B1G...but they really are trying to make the conference as bad as possible.
                    What does Notre Dame have to do with anything? Isn't the B1G going to home rink playoffs after this year?
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      What does Notre Dame have to do with anything?
                      Except for taking up over 10% of our schedule, absolutely nothing. That's the problem.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Huh? What argument are you trying to make here?
                        Code:

Comment

Huh? What argument are you trying to make here?
                          OK...so imagine you have a finite set of games per year. Now you commit a not insignificant number of them to one opponent with no history, no affiliation, etc. What happens to the rest of your schedule? Its smaller...fewer games to play other teams. If you want to add North Dakota...you need to drop some games against SCSU. If you want games against BSU every once in a while...you can't play UMD. What about Denver? Forget it. You may be adding Notre Dame or Western MI or Bowling Green...there's really not much difference...for 10% of our schedule. I'm losing games with our ex WCHA rivals. Goodbye NSCC.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Yeah, but you made a claim that somehow adding another Dame was making the Big Ten worse? Does not jive with reality.

I want to play these teams as well. I'd rather dump the big ten and start over with the wcha. But if we're stuck with this abomination of a conference, might as well make it better.

I'd also prefer to play more series with Minnesota teams as well. But none of this home-and-home crap.
                            Code:

Comment

Yeah, but you made a claim that somehow adding another Dame was making the Big Ten worse? Does not jive with reality.

I want to play these teams as well. I'd rather dump the big ten and start over with the wcha. But if we're stuck with this abomination of a conference, might as well make it better.

I'd also prefer to play more series with Minnesota teams as well. But none of this home-and-home crap.
                              Adding Notre Dame to the schedule means less Minnesota school games...which further downgrades the benefits of being in the B1G vs. the past WCHA. Sounds like we're of similar mindset.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Adding Notre Dame to the schedule means less Minnesota school games...which further downgrades the benefits of being in the B1G vs. the past WCHA. Sounds like we're of similar mindset.
                                But adding Notre Dame has nothing to do with the fact that this tournament is poorly attended.....
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X