Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC-West playoff format change

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Waah, waah, waah! Poor Platty and Elmira. Do you hear yourself, seriously?! They've owned that conference for eternity. I still think they'll have no problem getting to the final again this year no matter the format. This is exciting for the rest of the teams and not just the two spoiled brats at the top, for a change. It's probably way overdue. I'm willing to bet the top two schools probably put the nix on this format for several years before now. Good luck to "the rest."
    If you'll reread my comment, my concern was adding another low SOS game to the top two teams' resume. I'm not really concerned that William Smith, Neumann, or Chatham are ready to beat Plattsburgh, Elmira, or probably even Oswego yet. It was more about two of those three teams are going to need an at-large bid to make the NCAA tournament and they now get an extra drag on their SOS.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
      If you'll reread my comment, my concern was adding another low SOS game to the top two teams' resume. I'm not really concerned that William Smith, Neumann, or Chatham are ready to beat Plattsburgh, Elmira, or probably even Oswego yet. It was more about two of those three teams are going to need an at-large bid to make the NCAA tournament and they now get an extra drag on their SOS.
      I wouldn't lump Oswego in with Platty and Elmira in any way, not even close to having the same level and history of successful hockey, but that's irrelevant at the moment. Don't most other conferences already have at least the top 8 teams making the playoffs? I'm not saying having 8 or more teams is a good idea, but those conferences that already have that number of playoff teams have the same SOS problem. Playing a Plymouth State or a Southen Maine type of team doesn't do a Norwich, Manhattanville or UMass-Boston type of team any good either. So welcome to what other teams have been dealing with for years.
      Last edited by shelfit; 01-20-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't lump Oswego in with Platty and Elmira in any way, not even close to having the same level and history of successful hockey, but that's irrelevant at the moment. Don't most other conferences already have at least the top 8 teams making the playoffs? I'm not saying having 8 or more teams is a good idea, but those conferences that already have that number of playoff teams have the same SOS problem. Playing a Plymouth State or a Southen Maine type of team doesn't do a Norwich, Manhattanville or UMass-Boston type of team any good either. So welcome to what other teams have been dealing with for years.
        No. Only the NESCAC and NEHC take the Top 8.....the average is 5 for the rest of the world....
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

You're also getting another game to add to your winning percentage....
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            You're also getting another game to add to your winning percentage....
            Which we know is weighted more by the Selection Committee than SOS is... You're getting a bump up in a criteria that historically hasn't been looked on as favorably as SOS has, which is taking a hit...
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Brought to you by the "Everyone deserves a participation trophy Committee"....
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                Brought to you by the "Everyone deserves a participation trophy Committee"....
                Ooh look, a shiny blue Participant ribbon! Now I have all the self-confidence I need for the rest of my life.

Comment

And Cortland jumps into the playoff race with a 2-1 win over Buffalo to bypass Chatham in the standings! William Smith plays Elmira this weekend so a sweep tomorrow for Cortland would put them ahead of WS into 8th place.
                  Last edited by shelfit; 01-20-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

And Cortland jumps into the playoff race with a 2-1 win over Buffalo to bypass Chatham in the standings! William Smith plays Elmira this weekend so a sweep tomorrow for Cortland would put them ahead of WS into 8th place.
                    Now I understand.... we haven't been paying enough attention to the race for 8th place in prior years!
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95

Comment

After looking at the results for Neumann, William Smith, and Chatham, something astounding jumped out at me: William Smith hasn't given up more than 5 goals in a game all year. They have already played Plattsburgh, Elmira, and Utica. Pretty good defense. In a one game playoff.... good defense, hot goalie...
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95

Comment

After looking at the results for Neumann, William Smith, and Chatham, something astounding jumped out at me: William Smith hasn't given up more than 5 goals in a game all year. They have already played Plattsburgh, Elmira, and Utica. Pretty good defense. In a one game playoff.... good defense, hot goalie...
                        They are probably the best of those teams and Cortland too at this point in time although I'm sure Neumann doesn't see it that way since they're one spot ahead in 7th place. If Neumann doesn't falter, it will be interesting to see how the battle for 8th place works out. WS is the favorite right now.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 01-23-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

So apparently now the ECAC is saying there will only be 6 teams in the tournament again. A reversal of an earlier tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by dhammond View Post
                            So apparently now the ECAC is saying there will only be 6 teams in the tournament again. A reversal of an earlier tweet.
                            ...and further-removing even more question as to why this is a now-defunct conference.
                            Dave
                            RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by dhammond View Post
                              I bet Yale and RPI are pretty upset about that news.

Comment

Which we know is weighted more by the Selection Committee than SOS is... You're getting a bump up in a criteria that historically hasn't been looked on as favorably as SOS has, which is taking a hit...
                                Are you really that worried about Plattsburgh SOS and that keeping them out of the tournament if they lose 1 game? Otherwise it seems like pointless whining.
                                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X