Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I have an idea:

Cancel the D-III tournament. Start a D-II tournament. D-III teams are allowed to play *UP*, right?
    Back to the Future. LOL

This is the way it used to be. A lot of the top D3 hockey conferences (like the ECAC East and ECAC West, which was where all the top eastern schools played in) played up for the D2 championship, even though there was a D3. Then, the NCAA made everyone play in the division your school is classified.

That is why RIT won a D2 national championship in 1983 and then two years later won the D3 national championship, even though nothing changed with the conferences and scheduling.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: D1/D2 scheduling alliance for 2017-18

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      In order to be considered for the National Collegiate Championship, you need to play 20 games against eligible teams.
      I understand to be eligible you need to play 20 games, but shouldn't the Pairwise take into consideration the fact they only played 20 games vs teams under consideration?
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If Holy Cross goes 0-8 vs. the WHEA teams (which they will) they won't be in the discussion anyway.
        You are saying is it's 100% guarantee? I think Vegas has it WHEA 60% of winning all 9 games. HC will compete with the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I understand to be eligible you need to play 20 games, but shouldn't the Pairwise take into consideration the fact they only played 20 games vs teams under consideration?
          What it "should" do is up for debate lol... but there's no TUC criteria anymore. Even if there was, and even if they lost the TUC point to everyone else, there would be no Head To Head or Common Opponents between the alliance teams and everyone else, which means the comparison would once again revert to whoever is higher in RPI, which is the tiebreaker.

Originally posted by Call It View Post
          You are saying is it's 100% guarantee? I think Vegas has it WHEA 60% of winning all 9 games. HC will compete with the bottom
          I mean, I won't be putting money on anything, but I would think Maine and Merrimack would be decently favored over Holy Cross. Maine and Mack are both solidly better than Brown, and look at these box scores:

http://www.uscho.com/box/womens-hock...eart-vs-brown/
          http://www.uscho.com/box/womens-hock...eart-vs-brown/

Sacred Heart isn't Holy Cross but looking at the shot totals in their two games against each other, they're in the same stratosphere.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

It doesn't introduce common opponents for the scheduling alliance teams -- if Holy Cross plays Merrimack, St. A's won't have Merrimack as a common opponent with Holy Cross.
            Yes, it does introduce common opponents, though the effect will depend upon which teams Holy Cross plays. The question isn't whether it introduces common opponents between St. Anselm and Holy Cross; it's whether Holy Cross becomes a common opponent between St. Anselm and other teams that are trying to get into the tournament. Now, if none of the WHEA teams that Holy Cross plays are themselves teams under consideration, it won't matter, because St. Anselm won't get graded on comparisons with them. Any team that is under consideration, though, will win a common opponents criterion against St. Anselm if they are perfect against Holy Cross and St. Anselm isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              RPI and PWR wouldn't take this into consideration at all. The only element in the calculation that uses the aggregate number of games is head-to-head record. The others are just per game rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                Now, if none of the WHEA teams that Holy Cross plays are themselves teams under consideration, it won't matter, because St. Anselm won't get graded on comparisons with them. Any team that is under consideration, though, will win a common opponents criterion against St. Anselm if they are perfect against Holy Cross and St. Anselm isn't.
                TUC is no longer in the criteria (UPDATE: but looking back at this I think you just mean "eligible for selection" so nevermind ignore that lol)

But, also, the entire argument doesn't matter because even if St. A's loses the common opponent criteria to every other team in the country, they can't lose any of those comparisons unless they have a lower RPI. CoOpp will only flip a comparison if the two teams being compared have a Head To Head matchup.

I.e. Assume:
                (a) St. A's has a higher RPI than BC
                (b) Holy Cross loses to BC, but beats St. A's.
                (c) BC does not play St. A's

The St. A's vs. BC comparison would go:

RPI: St. A's
                H2H: Nobody
                CoOpp: BC

St. A's wins the comparison as RPI is the tiebreaker.
                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Taking a deep dive here... boy, St. A's is really good compared to the rest of these teams. They are 13-2-2 including their D-III games and have outshot their opponent in every game this season. They're 5-0-0 against the alliance teams. Their only two losses were to Amherst, who they outshot 16-1 in the first period before losing a close game, and to #3 Norwich (!!), who, incredibly, they also outshot.

I'm telling y'all, this is absolutely going to happen.* I can't wait hahaha

EDIT: They outshot their opponents 35-16 and 61-21 (!!!!!!!!) in their two ties as well.

**EDIT 2: "This" being "one of these teams will have a high enough RPI to make things interesting." Breathe.
                  Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

RPI and PWR wouldn't take this into consideration at all. The only element in the calculation that uses the aggregate number of games is head-to-head record. The others are just per game rates.
                    To me that makes little sense. Playing 30 games vs D1 teams vs 20 somehow would have to be taken into account.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I can't believe this nonsensical thread is now at four pages because Grant won't let it go. I guarantee you that if this was the situation this year, as posted on TTT's article, and Sacred Heart and HC were 2 and 4, and would bump out Clarkson and Cornell, the committee would take Clarkson and Cornell. Why would they spend the money to have visiting teams come in and beat SC and HC 10-0? How does that grow the game?
                      "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                        I can't believe this nonsensical thread is now at four pages because Grant won't let it go.
                        <3<3<3

I guarantee you that if this was the situation this year, as posted on TTT's article, and Sacred Heart and HC were 2 and 4, and would bump out Clarkson and Cornell, the committee would take Clarkson and Cornell. Why would they spend the money to have visiting teams come in and beat SC and HC 10-0? How does that grow the game?
                        Am I wrong that under the current setup, the criteria says they would be in the tournament? Yes or no?

I'm not saying they won't change the criteria to prevent this from happening (because I absolutely agree, anyone else would throttle them), or that they wouldn't ignore these teams (I said as such in the article), but I find it interesting, as I imagine the rest of everyone here does, because there's clear contradiction between the letter and the spirit of the rule given this scheduling alliance news that came out.

Now, you can for some reason make it personal and act like it's a "nonsensical topic that Grant won't let go," but this wouldn't be the first time that I would be on top of something before the website you write for was.

Comment

Joe is laughing along with Grant.

The women's meetings at Naples are going to be VERY interesting.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

TUC is no longer in the criteria (UPDATE: but looking back at this I think you just mean "eligible for selection" so nevermind ignore that lol)

But, also, the entire argument doesn't matter because even if St. A's loses the common opponent criteria to every other team in the country, they can't lose any of those comparisons unless they have a lower RPI. CoOpp will only flip a comparison if the two teams being compared have a Head To Head matchup.
                            You're leaving out a piece that the NCAA has said over and over again: they reserve the right to weight any one criterion more heavily than any other if they think that the margin in that criterion is substantially greater than the margin in the other(s). The record against common opponents most definitely can count for more than RPI. The NCAA has even refused to clarify just what it considers to be a significant difference between the criteria. They already have an out if they don't want to let these teams into the tournament with an at large bid if Holy Cross is a common opponent with other teams in the mix.

Arafel is right. You're fanatically holding on to position by ignoring the NCAA's past history and every caveat to the situation. You keep insisting that things have only one possible interpretation when they manifestly don't. You've gone off the deep end on this one.

Comment

I'm not saying they won't change the criteria to prevent this from happening . . .
                              Actually, you have. You keep arguing with people who have said that it isn't clear that the NCAA would let these teams into the tournament as an at large team, no matter what their PWR ranking is. If your position had been what you are now claiming it is, the argument would never have happened.

Comment

You keep insisting that things have only one possible interpretation when they manifestly don't.
                                I've said this entire time that they would either change the criteria, ignore the teams entirely, or let them into the tournament. That's three (3) interpretations.

You're right about the NCAA weighting different criteria however they want, of course, but if St. A's doesn't lose to HC, then we're right back to where we started with RPI being the only comparison criteria.

The NCAA has made a habit of doing whatever they want in the past. I know this. You know this. You know that I know this. But I find it interesting. Other people find the topic interesting. You're free to not find it interesting, I don't care, but since when are we calling out people for what they're interested in?

Actually, you have. You keep arguing with people who have said that it isn't clear that the NCAA would let these teams into the tournament as an at large team, no matter what their PWR ranking is. If your position had been what you are now claiming it is, the argument would never have happened.
                                I literally asked the chair of the selection committee if they were considering changing the criteria!

Where is this all coming from? Seriously.
                                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-27-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X