Patty Kazmaeir 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patty Kazmaeir 2017

MICZamboni posted last month, so I'd scratch Mercyhurst from the list, not matter how you spell it. OnMAA posted in January as well, so Brown has been represented in 2017. Mattj711 still posts from Cornell.
    Last edited by ARM; 02-18-2017, 09:04 AM.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      OnMAA posted in January as well, so Brown has been represented in 2017.
      We could count me, too, I always root for Sam Donovan

Donovan for Patty Kaz '18

Comment

this past weekend not only left me hopeful of a three-peat, but has convinced me who two of the three finalists should be:

#1 Anne-Renee Desbiens: To beat the Badgers, you have to beat Desbiens. As has been demonstrated four times this year, even if your goalie stands on her head and denies the Badger offense, you still need to get at least one by Desbiens to win. She played well as a freshman, proved to be one of the best her sophomore year, and has followed it up with two amazing years. A no-brainer really.

#2 Lee Stecklein: There are three attributes that a blueliner should have, the first is obvious: skill. The other two attributes are the choices they make and execution. There are many skilled players, but there is no player who consistently makes good choices and then executes upon that choice as well as Stecklein. A bad choice or failure to execute is at least as rare, and probably rarer than a puck getting past Desbiens.
        Scoring? The only player to score on both SO attempts this weekend. No small feat against Desbiens.
        If she was paired with a stay at home defender she'd have more points than she does (as it is she's #5 nationally) because her partner is even more of an offensive threat.
        ^ it was in fact her blueline partner who scored the SO in game #1, not Stecklein
        Last edited by pokechecker; 02-21-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          this past weekend not only left me hopeful of a three-peat, but has convinced me who two of the three finalists should be:

#1 Anne-Renee Desbiens:

#2 Lee Stecklein:
          As in 2013 there should also be a forward in the trio and that should be the current points leader Kelly Pannek. Her pass to Schammel on Saturday was a classic example of what she has done all year. But unlike 2013 the winner I think this year should be the goalie Desbiens. As a very astute coach said back then in comparing the three different positions, it's like comparing apples to oranges to bananas.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-21-2017, 05:17 PM.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I will show my Green and Gold Eastern Bias and say the 3 finalists will be:

1) ARD
            2) Pannek
            3) Cayley Mercer - She is as deserving as anyone to be a final 3. Leading goal scorer in Div I with 25, second to Pannek with 53 points and she had a goal and assist against ARD in the first Clarkson - Wisconsin game , one goal more than Pannek could score in 4 games against ARD.

I still think ARD deserves the award but I think Mercer belongs as a Patty Kaz final 3.
            Last edited by vicb; 02-21-2017, 06:45 PM.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Mercer, Stecklein, Pannek, whomever ….
              It’s a great honor to be one of the three finalists, but this year it is more of a burden. The other seven who get nominated for the PK can show up and eat, enjoy the goings-on, throw down a couple martini’s, flirt with the waiters …
              But two of the three finalists are gonna have to prepare a speech they’re not gonna deliver. Then they have to get dressed up and stand around looking gracious while everyone waits for the award to be presented to Desbiens. They should probably just ask Desbiens for a copy of hers and substitute names. Even if by some slim chance they have to give it, everyone will be too shocked to hear what they are saying, so it won’t matter anyway.

Comment

It’s a great honor to be one of the three finalists, but this year it is more of a burden. The other seven who get nominated for the PK can show up and eat, enjoy the goings-on, throw down a couple martini’s, flirt with the waiters …
                But two of the three finalists are gonna have to prepare a speech they’re not gonna deliver. Then they have to get dressed up and stand around looking gracious while everyone waits for the award to be presented to Desbiens. They should probably just ask Desbiens for a copy of hers and substitute names. Even if by some slim chance they have to give it, everyone will be too shocked to hear what they are saying, so it won’t matter anyway.
                I am down to 2 candidates, both lead the country in multiple areas.

ARD: 5 Categories she leads the country: wins (23), winning percentage (.893, 23-1-4), goals-against average (0.74), save percentage (.961) and shutouts (13).

Pannek: 57 NCAA-leading points total, on 17 goals and 40 assists. The junior also leads the country in points-per-game (1.73), assists, assists-per-game (1.21), power-play points (18) and face-offs won (478). She has tallied a point in 28 of the Gophers' 33 contests thus far

I am leaning towards Pannek, but my gut tells me its ARD's to win do to being a senior.

Comment

I would suspect that just being nominated is an honor and that the 7 or maybe even the 9 attending will be more than happy to be there as they will know full well where this is going.

Comment

The top 10 Patty Kaz finalists have been announced: http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...rrer_id=752796

Get your tickets to the Frozen Four and the Patty Kaz banquet being held on Saturday, March 18th. now! Follow our website for tickets to both events: https://stlsports.org/special-event/...s-frozen-four/
                    Last edited by tmitchell; 02-23-2017, 04:50 PM.
                    Get your March 17th and 19th Women's Frozen Four tickets here: https://stlsports.org/special-event/...s-frozen-four/

Comment

Originally posted by tmitchell View Post
                      If any of you are interested in attending the Patty Kaz banquet this year, please let me know and I can get you some more information.
                      The Top 10 have been announced. Go to pattykaz.com to see who.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I find it interesting that there has only been one defenseman to win the award, Harvard's Ruggiero in 2004. It really is mostly an offensive production award. I imagine a defenseman could play absolutely perfect defense for an entire season thus preventing a huge number of goals scored against her team and if she did not put up big enough offensive numbers she would not make the 10 finalists. But then, and I know the Patty Kazmaier is not an MVP award, but Ozzie Smith despite 13 gold gloves only made the top 10 in voting for the NL MVP once, in 1987 when he led the league in batting. He finished 2nd, not enough RBI's I guess.

It's nice that at least a goalie will win it for the 3rd time this year, anyway.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

For all that people say that defense wins championships, their behavior indicates that they don't really believe that.* Professional teams pay more for offense, and the general belief is that players that can score are harder to find than ones who can play good defense, thus making the top offensive players more valuable and more important to have. The jury's still out on whether or not this is really true.

That's compounded by the fact that it's easier to measure an individual's contributions on offense than it is those on defense. We have a pretty good idea who the best offensive players in women's college hockey are; the same cannot be said for defensive players. We don't really have any stat that measures an individual's defense. People like to cite plus/minus, but it's only half a defensive stat, and it's also terrible for measuring value anyway. People are making progress towards finding useful stats to measure defense and total contribution at the NHL level, but no one's even collecting the data at the college level (men's or women's) to produce those stats, and no one's done the work to find out if they would be valid at this level even if we could.

The eye test is really all we have to go on, and none of the voters have a chance to see a representative sample of more than a fraction of the relevant players. So, they vote based upon what they can be confident in.

*In this case, their behavior is probably more accurate; the actual evidence that it's defense that wins championships is incredibly scarce. All of the data we have shows that, across just about all sports, you win championships by outscoring your opponent, and it doesn't really matter what path you choose to that end.

Comment

If the final 3 isn't ARD, Pannek, Keller then I'll be pretty surprised. Keller's going to get every eastern vote.

You westerners love to rip on Keller but she's a boss and y'all know it.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              You westerners love to rip on Keller but she's a boss and y'all know it.
                              13 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                13 seconds.
                                Did last year's game results somehow get added to this season's Kaz criteria? If so I think Coyne might have a good chance to go back to back...
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X