Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patty Kazmaeir 2017

Originally posted by NMH View Post
    For me, Pannek wasn't really in the discussion once her numbers dropped in the second half. It's difficult to argue about someone being dynamic when it was clear so much of their statistical success hinged on playing with another player. That line had special chemistry, but without Cameranesi, they definitely struggled more. I think it's difficult to argue in Pannek's favor there, especially in the face of what Stalder was doing.
    Today's game was a microcosm of why you shouldn't read too much into the drop in Pannek's numbers. She continues to make fantastic passes, it's just that her linemates have started spurning all of the opportunities. Until Marshall sneaked into the slot, Pannek would make great feeds that no one bothered to get their stick on. A couple of times they weren't looking. On others, they just sort of flailed their sticks at the puck as it went by. Pannek was the best non-goalie on the ice today by a significant margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I'm not sure, but I felt really stupid screwing that up.
      Indeed. Just remember the rule, i before e except after c (or when in doubt look it up before you screw it up).

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        Today's game was a microcosm of why you shouldn't read too much into the drop in Pannek's numbers. She continues to make fantastic passes, it's just that her linemates have started spurning all of the opportunities.
        I don't know if "spurning" is the right word, but you would think by now everyone who is on the ice with her would have learned to be ready for the pass at all times. As is so often the case with players on the other team, the Gophers out there with her come to think that she'll put the puck somewhere else, to where logic says it should go, instead of positioning and readying themselves to receive and doing something with it (i.e. "expect the unexpected"). Of course Kelly doesn't always make the right play at the right time, (who does?) - but how many times in the season's second half have we seen such missed passing connections, with nothing to show for it on the scoreboard?

Hopefully, with Dani now having some extremely competitive games under her belt, our No. 1 line will really start to crank it up again and find ways to put the puck in the net like they did in the first half. If they can do that, while getting the kind of goaltending and team defense we saw earlier today, I do think this team is capable of winning it all...again.
        Last edited by D2D; 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Indeed. Just remember the rule, i before e except after c (or when in doubt look it up before you screw it up).
          The sad part is I did look it up, but apparently my had eye coordination isn't what it used to be.

I find the discussion of "if only the players playing with Pannek would score more she'd be more deserving"...LAUGHABLE. Really? This coming from the same people who said playing heroically with the flu was no excuse to allow 4 goals?
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I don't know if "spurning" is the right word, but you would think by now everyone who is on the ice with her would have learned to be ready for the pass at all times.
            Not converting on or not cashing in on all the opportunities would have been a better choice of words. I'm sure there is no disdain or contempt by her teammates for the opportunities given by Pannek's passes, just not always the best responses to them.
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM. Reason: wrong thread
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              The sad part is I did look it up, but apparently my had eye coordination isn't what it used to be.

I find the discussion of "if only the players playing with Pannek would score more she'd be more deserving"...LAUGHABLE. Really? This coming from the same people who said playing heroically with the flu was no excuse to allow 4 goals?
              Dranksin the thinner again and paying the price after, eh?

Playing heroically with the flu...Do you get a participation ribbon for that? Oh and for the sake of Pete, you shlubs, as the prohibitive favorite, better not lose to BC.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                you shlubs, as the prohibitive favorite, better not lose to BC.
                As good a team as they are I don't buy into the "prohibitive favourite" notion.

If UMD with a seriously depleted bench could take UW into OT and then to the shoot out that followed, not that long ago, then that tells me that UW is very beatable.

While I wouldn't say that the King has no clothes, I would say that his tailor is only human. His raiment/wares have been put on display for all who care to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

If UMD with a seriously depleted bench could take UW into OT and then to the shoot out that followed, not that long ago, then that tells me that UW is very beatable.

While I wouldn't say that the King has no clothes, I would say that his tailor is only human. His raiment/wares have been put on display for all who care to see.
                  and let's not forget the regular season final series at Ridder that ended in ties

I'm not so sure about the very part, but they are beatable
                  the problem is, to beat WI, your goalie is going to have to play a great game, your defense near flawless, and somebody has to get the puck past Desbiens
                  it can be done, but there is little room for error

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    and let's not forget the regular season final series at Ridder that ended in ties

I'm not so sure about the very part, but they are beatable
                    the problem is, to beat WI, your goalie is going to have to play a great game, your defense near flawless, and somebody has to get the puck past Desbiens
                    it can be done, but there is little room for error
                    I agree almost completely. After posting that I thought I should go back and delete the word "very" because it might be too strong a word but decided I'm still on the fence about it.

I was going to go back and add more detail to my comment about what I thought was required for a victory but got sidetracked...and in the meantime you have done an admirable job for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Maybe I'm wrong, but I understood the "prohibitive" part of the comment to apply to the BC game.

Comment

I think the only thing that is a "prohibitive favorite" refers back to the title of the this thread. Probably a dumb question, but do they re-vote after the final 3 are announced or has the final voting been done for some time?

Comment

Wisconsin is the prohibitive favorite in the matchup with bc. The poll thread for "Who Wins The NCAA Championship" tells the story. It shows only 4 of the 34 voters see bc getting past Wisconsin to the championship game. 30 see Wisconsin getting there. And of those 4 voters for bc? 1 would vote for bc no matter what the circumstances and the other is most likely EF1 with the all eastern final.

It is also true that ARD is the prohibitive favorite to win the Patty Kazmaeir award.
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-14-2017, 06:13 PM. Reason: Poll update
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            And of those 2 voters for bc? 1 would vote for bc no matter what the circumstances.
                            And I have it on high authority that the other vote for BC was only because he doesn't want the Gophers to have to face Wisconsin for a 5th time. Not that the Gopher's couldn't win. 1-1-2 so far indicates a 50-50 scenario. Be careful of what you wish for? Maybe, but BC on paper looks like a better opponent for a win for the Gophs.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-14-2017, 12:22 PM. Reason: On paper
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Ard

Comment

Absolutely freaking fantastic. It still doesn't make me feel any less p/o'ed she didn't win it last year, but hey at least she didn't get screwed by being on a great team. She worked hard, she played awesome, well deserved. Maybe since she's going for her Masters in accounting @ UW next year we can squeeze some more eligibility out of her.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X