Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge #189: The Winter of our Discontent.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #189: The Winter of our Discontent.

Vera and I were supposed to go up to Houghton this weekend. Then her uncle went to the hospital for the fourth time in two months with an infection in one of his valves. All of this has stemmed from them putting in a new pacemaker due to a recall of his previous one. She's very close to him and he often calls her his favorite person, after his wife of course.

The surgery was today, his fourth open heart surgery. After the third, which was in 2015, the surgeon stated that cracking him open again wasn't an option. When it became clear last week that there actually was no other option than that, the same surgeon raised his hand.

11 hour procedure. He got it fixed, but the bleeding wouldn't stop. Blood just wouldn't clot. The hospital's ER had patients involved in a nasty accident and used most of the platelets they had. Other hospitals in the area jumped in and sent what he needed. Ambulances running back and forth with sirens blaring with no patients in them, the works.

The bleeding stopped. His chest is still open, but only as a precautionary measure. If something they're not expecting happens they don't want to waste the time cracking him open again. If things continue to go well they'll close him up in the next couple days.

He isn't out of the clear and has some hurdles ahead, but this was the biggest one. They've assigned nurses to just him. They have no other patients than him for the near future. I'm just blown away by the awesomeness of the nursing staff, the other hospitals jumping at the opportunity to assist, and this friggin boss of a surgeon. Chatted with him a bit. I don't use the word often. Hero.

Long day.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good morning Ralph!

Good morning to the rest of tLodge!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Today is 21 January 2017. There are 1,460 days until our next President.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-21-2017, 04:49 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Vera and I were supposed to go up to Houghton this weekend. Then her uncle went to the hospital for the fourth time in two months with an infection in one of his valves. All of this has stemmed from them putting in a new pacemaker due to a recall of his previous one. She's very close to him and he often calls her his favorite person, after his wife of course.

The surgery was today, his fourth open heart surgery. After the third, which was in 2015, the surgeon stated that cracking him open again wasn't an option. When it became clear last week that there actually was no other option than that, the same surgeon raised his hand.

11 hour procedure. He got it fixed, but the bleeding wouldn't stop. Blood just wouldn't clot. The hospital's ER had patients involved in a nasty accident and used most of the platelets they had. Other hospitals in the area jumped in and sent what he needed. Ambulances running back and forth with sirens blaring with no patients in them, the works.

The bleeding stopped. His chest is still open, but only as a precautionary measure. If something they're not expecting happens they don't want to waste the time cracking him open again. If things continue to go well they'll close him up in the next couple days.

He isn't out of the clear and has some hurdles ahead, but this was the biggest one. They've assigned nurses to just him. They have no other patients than him for the near future. I'm just blown away by the awesomeness of the nursing staff, the other hospitals jumping at the opportunity to assist, and this friggin boss of a surgeon. Chatted with him a bit. I don't use the word often. Hero.

Long day.
            Get there, Uncle. That dude has to be as feisty as Vera.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

s'upp y'all

go uncle!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                And we are still here today. Bonus ball. mr les put on Colbert last night. Laughed like a hyena. Man is that guy funny.

soh- Wow. Just. Wow! And nurses do rock

Morning Lodge!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  HHT!

12~ hours until me hopefully having a new vehicle, too.

Magic 8 Ball says, "Outlook Good" for this weekend.
                  New or used Jeep?
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!

HHT!

For Hoven new car, it is not going to be one of the cars from Bullitt so I am disappointed.
                    Originally posted by Skeeterman
                    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #189: The Winter of our Discontent.

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      And we are still here today. Bonus ball. mr les put on Colbert last night. Laughed like a hyena. Man is that guy funny.

soh- Wow. Just. Wow! And nurses do rock

Morning Lodge!
                      Judging purely by the number of people whom I saw with signs walking to downtown in the last half hour, there will be several times as many people at the march today as there were at the inauguration yesterday. I am pretty sure that I saw close to 1000 people.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Judging purely by the number of people whom I saw with signs walking to downtown in the last half hour, there will be several times as many people at the march today as there were at the inauguration yesterday. I am pretty sure that I saw close to 1000 people.
                        Certainly looks like a larger crowd. Now if I could figure out a way to turn off the comment feed on Facebook Live...
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

s'upp y'all
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Not necessarily.
                            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              New or used Jeep?
                              2015 Camaro. 19k miles. Yellow. Name is Maggie, after Hellcat Maggie from Gangs Of New York. She is now mine.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                2015 Camaro. 19k miles. Yellow. Name is Maggie, after Hellcat Maggie from Gangs Of New York. She is now mine.
                                <-- prays for snow.

Congrats and enjoy.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X