Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge #189: The Winter of our Discontent.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #189: The Winter of our Discontent.

Talking with my manager about how she and I need to create a "smart distribution list" for an email group regarding the users of a new application going live soon. Without giving a moment's thought to the conversation, I used the example of, "If Harry Johnson manages the team, gets a new job and Sally Smith takes over..."

It wasn't until I was done relaying the example that I realized that I'd used an old joke name for the guy. All the better - my manager didn't even care at all and she's the sort to notice such things.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If you really wanted to be a smart ***, you could've used Mike Hunt.*

*Porky's reference (for those of you that remember the movie Porkys)

Comment

Everybody knows Mike Hunt. And in truth, I didn't even intend to use the joke name, it just popped into my head when thinking of an impromptu example.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Had a science teacher in middle school with the last name Doe. First initial D. The running joke amongst us raging through puberty teens was his first name was Dylan/Dillon.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            Had a science teacher in middle school with the last name Doe. First initial D. The running joke amongst us raging through puberty teens was his first name was Dylan/Dillon.
            I had a shop teacher named Richard Schmeckpecker. He preferred to be called Dick.

I went to school with a guy named Harry Bahls III.

Porkys. I think I was in 7th grade when it came out. It was the first adult movie I had ever seen.
            sigpic

Comment

The end of the world is coming!1!1!11!!! Snowmageddon!!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                The end of the world is coming!1!1!11!!! Snowmageddon!!
                Glad I didn't have to be out east this week.

Comment

We got the OK to work from home tomorrow. So, while checking email, I can catch up on all the shows on my dvr! And do some laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    We got the OK to work from home tomorrow. So, while checking email, I can catch up on all the shows on my dvr! And do some laundry.
                    It looks like we are only going to get a dusting in 202-land thanks to all the hot air coming out of 1600 PA Av., NW.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good evening. Found out that on Fri, the new bosses want to have a step-by-step "standard work procedure" done by me at my building. It's been done before, no big deal, just a minor annoyance. Basically have to write down every step I take when I pick an item off the shelf for an order.

They're new here, so I understand. Still...it's an annoyance since it will slow me down for a while.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Good evening. Found out that on Fri, the new bosses want to have a step-by-step "standard work procedure" done by me at my building. It's been done before, no big deal, just a minor annoyance. Basically have to write down every step I take when I pick an item off the shelf for an order.

They're new here, so I understand. Still...it's an annoyance since it will slow me down for a while.
                        With every decision you make, is this good for the company?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          With every decision you make, is this good for the company?
                          I think they are still realizing what I bring to the table, to use corpie-speak. I've worked 4 day weeks so far this year, and each time I'm gone, my sorta-co-worker has stayed late at least 2 hours to help out my backup.

They seem to be good bosses, it's a matter of finding our branch's groove.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Does this mean d-head boss is gone, or did he (unfortunately) fail upward?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Does this mean d-head boss is gone, or did he (unfortunately) fail upward?
                              He runs the whole building now.

1. It means he runs the whole building now.
                              2. It also means he's not on the floor micro-managing the actual work.

I consider that a win, frankly. Keeps him out of our hair, since he's too busy dealing with corporate and greater responsibilities. The new bosses are seeming to take a hands-off approach, for the most part. From my first impressions (it's been about 3 months since they've been here), they know we are a top branch in the country for a reason, so they are quite literally keeping an eye on things, as that is what their jobs are. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't interfere, they make some suggestions, they ask some questions, and it's all good.

Hope it stays that way.

Edit: I haven't seen the main building in about a month and a half, which is the way it should be. The new bosses (and team lead) are making sure of that.

Comment

He runs the whole building now.

1. It means he runs the whole building now.
                                2. It also means he's not on the floor micro-managing the actual work.

I consider that a win, frankly. Keeps him out of our hair, since he's too busy dealing with corporate and greater responsibilities. The new bosses are seeming to take a hands-off approach, for the most part. From my first impressions (it's been about 3 months since they've been here), they know we are a top branch in the country for a reason, so they are quite literally keeping an eye on things, as that is what their jobs are. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't interfere, they make some suggestions, they ask some questions, and it's all good.

Hope it stays that way.

Edit: I haven't seen the main building in about a month and a half, which is the way it should be. The new bosses (and team lead) are making sure of that.
                                Hmm...well, if he has to BS your location's financials rather than the day-to-day KPIs, maybe that's a good thing for him and you; or at least you.

So then I assume the "new bosses" are from outside, rather than promoted? I may have missed a previous Lodge announcement on your situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X