• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2016-17 II: Playoffs, Super Bowl, and Offseason

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Haven't seen one, link an example?
    This should work:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C905B37XcAAmSSK.jpg:large

There are much worse ones out there. I saw most of them in a beer group I'm in on FB. Just savage, but hilarious.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Haven't seen one, link an example?
      Most of them are really lazy. This isn't bad. Haven't seen anything clever yet, though. It's all... low hanging fruit.

Simple is better.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-20-2017, 08:06 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Most of them are really lazy. This isn't bad. Haven't seen anything clever yet, though. It's all... low hanging fruit.
        There was one: Who wore it better? Robin Williams or Aaron Hernandez?

And one that LMAO'd, "JUDGES HATE HIM! SEE HOW HERNANDEZ SHORTENED HIS LIFE SENTENCE WITH THIS SIMPLE TRICK!
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          There was one: Who wore it better? Robin Williams or Aaron Hernandez?
          OK. That is funny.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            Hearing speculation that because he's dead, his guilty verdicts which were under appeal are vacated and now his family can collect on his his estate, NFL money, pension, etc.

That's another common reason.
            Just saw that Mass law says that if you die under appeal, the above is true.

MY question is, does suicide void that agreement/law? I would think the law is there in case you are murdered/die of natural causes. However, one accelerated his death, to profit for his family, possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Just saw that Mass law says that if you die under appeal, the above is true.

MY question is, does suicide void that agreement/law? I would think the law is there in case you are murdered/die of natural causes. However, one accelerated his death, to profit for his family, possibly.
              I found this from a previous suicide in prison and the conviction was overturned.
              As examples, the Globe notes the case of John C. Salvi, who in 1994 was convicted of killing two women at separate Massachusetts abortion clinics. Salvi killed himself in prison before his appeals were exhausted, and his convictions were overturned by a Massachusetts judge after an appeal
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ill-be-voided/
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Can't the victim's family (Odin Lloyd) take the estate to the cleaners with a wrongful death lawsuit? So they get the money from the Pats but it goes right back out the door? Thought that was the deal with OJ with the exception of his NFL pension which couldn't be seized.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Can't the victim's family (Odin Lloyd) take the estate to the cleaners with a wrongful death lawsuit? So they get the money from the Pats but it goes right back out the door? Thought that was the deal with OJ with the exception of his NFL pension which couldn't be seized.
                  Life insurance payouts, annuities, etc. can be judgment proof depending on the state. Kenneth Lay pulled that trick when he went down for Enron.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I bet you'd find that most of that multi-million dollar Simpson judgment has gone unsatisfied. And keep in mind that Simpson wasn't convicted, so he was still out and ostensibly able to earn some cash.

Civil suits against murderers are usually never about the money. It's just one additional form of punishment for the wrongdoer. It's also a way to force a defendant who didn't testify in the criminal trial to actually have to be deposed or even take the stand and testify. As I recall, that happened in OJ's case.

I'd be surprised if Hernandez had a lot left in assets at the time of his death. He probably spent a lot on defending the two criminal cases against him. He hasn't been employed for quite awhile. I doubt he just had a couple of mil sitting in a bank account that he could draw on while serving out his prison term.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      I bet you'd find that most of that multi-million dollar Simpson judgment has gone unsatisfied. And keep in mind that Simpson wasn't convicted, so he was still out and ostensibly able to earn some cash.

Civil suits against murderers are usually never about the money. It's just one additional form of punishment for the wrongdoer. It's also a way to force a defendant who didn't testify in the criminal trial to actually have to be deposed or even take the stand and testify. As I recall, that happened in OJ's case.

I'd be surprised if Hernandez had a lot left in assets at the time of his death. He probably spent a lot on defending the two criminal cases against him. He hasn't been employed for quite awhile. I doubt he just had a couple of mil sitting in a bank account that he could draw on while serving out his prison term.
                      True dat, but I do know he's got a 1.3M house sitting on the market right now. Does that go to his victim (the one that he was convicted of killing) or does it go to his daughter?
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

True dat, but I do know he's got a 1.3M house sitting on the market right now. Does that go to his victim (the one that he was convicted of killing) or does it go to his daughter?
                        I believe the estate would go to his daughter. If the murder is wiped from the books there was no crime and there would be no reason for a wrongful death lawsuit. It seems any time it's brought before an appeals court they side with the law.
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                          I believe the estate would go to his daughter. If the murder is wiped from the books there was no crime and there would be no reason for a wrongful death lawsuit. It seems any time it's brought before an appeals court they side with the law.
                          But you don't have to be found criminally guilty in order to be found civilly liable do you?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            But you don't have to be found criminally guilty in order to be found civilly liable do you?
                            I assume bc there is no criminal conviction and the defendant isn't alive to defend himself, things are much more difficult or even impossible to get anywhere?
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                              No, you need not have been found guilty in order to be held criminally liable. That's how Ron Gold's parents got their justice against OJ, in some loosely applied manner or another, in court.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                No, you need not have been found guilty in order to be held criminally liable. That's how Ron Gold's parents got their justice against OJ, in some loosely applied manner or another, in court.
                                Wait, are they a simple superset/subset relation? That is, if you are found criminally liable are you by definition civilly liable? I always thought they were entirely different charges, not the same charge tried at different standards (which seems like double jeopardy)?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X