Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2016-17 II: Playoffs, Super Bowl, and Offseason

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    But Latinos are and they represent a sizable portion of MLB rosters.
    Sure, they're on the rosters, but the people in the stands are largely white. White people still have the most money per capita, and if we stop attending because it's a sport that we didn't watch/like as a kid, then the league is in trouble. For now.

As much as the NFL likes its TV revenue, people become a little less interested in the games on TV when the stands are empty. It takes away from the atmosphere, and people start to move away to other things to occupy their time. MLB has seen this. While that league is still profitable, they've unofficially acknowledged a time or two that the league is not doing as well as it could because the league doesn't have the younger audience's attention.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      In a generation or two interest will severely decline in the NFL. Mothers aren't putting their kids into the various youth leagues anymore, afraid of the CTE risks. Kids interested in sports tend to mostly be interested in the sports they play. And that generally holds true as they become adults. No, it doesn't hold true 100% of the time, but it's a good measuring stick for future success of a league. MLB's very worried about their aging, mostly white fan base because kids have lost interest in playing their game. And white people don't have children at the same rates as other ethnicities right now.
      I've spent 25 years of my life involved in a youth football league, either as a player, administrator, or coach. I think the interest is still there on the part of the kids, although alot of it is because they want to do what the Madden players do, and run the same plays, etc...Also, I know what I teach my players. Our league is declining, mostly due to declining demographics and other political influences. We are taking all the necessary steps to ensure that we teach the safe and proper way to tackle. Due to the nature of the sport, it's never going to be 100% injury free, but we're trying. I'm proud of the fact that in my two years of head coaching (among years of being an assistant coach) I can count of one hand the number of serious injuries to my kids, and yes, that includes concussions. In this day and age, the kids, (and parents, believe it or not) want that "SportsCenter hit" instead of the more safe hit. In fact, I've even gotten the kid to realize that alot of times, the safe and legal hit is more effective.
      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Sure, they're on the rosters, but the people in the stands are largely white. White people still have the most money per capita, and if we stop attending because it's a sport that we didn't watch/like as a kid, then the league is in trouble. For now.
        For now, but the systemic racism that has kept blacks poor and powerless starts to break down at around 20% of the population and Latinos are nearing it. Either Latino will become "white" like Irish and Italian did, or the US power structure will finally start to shed white supremacy, but either way Latino interests and culture will be mainstream in our lifetimes.
        Last edited by Kepler; 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In a generation or two interest will severely decline in the NFL. Mothers aren't putting their kids into the various youth leagues anymore, afraid of the CTE risks. Kids interested in sports tend to mostly be interested in the sports they play. And that generally holds true as they become adults. No, it doesn't hold true 100% of the time, but it's a good measuring stick for future success of a league. MLB's very worried about their aging, mostly white fan base because kids have lost interest in playing their game. And white people don't have children at the same rates as other ethnicities right now.
          white kids still bet en masse

the nfl will be just fine.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

6.7 billion in public money to build or renovate the current homes of all NFL teams...
            http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...ium-era-closes
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how Oakland reacts to the Raiders the next two years. Part of me really wants the people to hive the Raiders the finger and have just 10k show up for games.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                It'll be interesting to see how Oakland reacts to the Raiders the next two years. Part of me really wants the people to hive the Raiders the finger and have just 10k show up for games.
                I lived in Phoenix when the Cardinals played at Sun Devil, there is something to be said for going to games when only 10k show up. Great seats for next to nothing, and when behind the visitors bench they could hear the hecklers no problem and would often respond. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...d-raiders-2019
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

As much as the NFL likes its TV revenue, people become a little less interested in the games on TV when the stands are empty. It takes away from the atmosphere, and people start to move away to other things to occupy their time. MLB has seen this. While that league is still profitable, they've unofficially acknowledged a time or two that the league is not doing as well as it could because the league doesn't have the younger audience's attention.
                    Nothing keeps the younger audience's atten.....SQUIRREL!!!!
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

AP as a Packer? Wonder how Vikes and Packer fans feel about that. Can't see anyone blowing much dough on him.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        AP as a Packer? Wonder how Vikes and Packer fans feel about that. Can't see anyone blowing much dough on him.
                        I hate the idea of it being AP that does the reverse Favre. I don't care for him with what he's done off the field and honestly, I don't really think he fits the Packers. They don't run enough and AP always seems the best when he gets 20+ carries.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I hate the idea of it being AP that does the reverse Favre. I don't care for him with what he's done off the field and honestly, I don't really think he fits the Packers. They don't run enough and AP always seems the best when he gets 20+ carries.
                          Pass blocking was always a weakness for him, and he's a below average receiver for an RB. He can catch, but it has to be a near perfect pass placement.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

He's not a fit in Green Bay.

Which means TT might actually sign him.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              He's not a fit in Green Bay.

Which means TT might actually sign him.
                              Dan Snyder hasn't been above the fold on WaPo for 3 days...
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Seems like Raiders material to me! Surprised they haven't signed him to a "prove it" one year contract with heavy incentives.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X