Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2016-17 II: Playoffs, Super Bowl, and Offseason

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Yes that Applebee's they opened downtown makes all the difference.

I was spending time with a native who lives just outside the French Quarter near Louis Armstrong park. Yes its different if you live there but from a tourist perspective they've cleaned up all the areas you'd visit even when I was there in 2009 maybe?
    While much of Omaha is a pretty typical example of a bland, boring midwest city, the Old Market area restaurants, bars and shops are fun, and the College World Series is a spectacular time, especially the pre-game and between game tailgating and bar hopping, and should be a bucket list item for anyone who calls themselves a sports fan.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

As a matter a fact I have Slappy, and I even took a stroll around the Lower 9th Ward. Perhaps being somewhere interesting is too overwhelming for you hayseeds.
      Yeah, about that. I'd call several countries in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and SE Asia as fairly interesting. I'm not afraid of a little dirt, culture, etc., etc. Just saying NO is far more than the FQ and it went sadly downhill after Katrina. Still ignores the fact I don't root for teams in the SB based upon whether or not I'd want to live someplace. Although your existence possibly explains why so many people hate the Patriots so maybe there's something to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Yeah, about that. I'd call several countries in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and SE Asia as fairly interesting. I'm not afraid of a little dirt, culture, etc., etc. Just saying NO is far more than the FQ and it went sadly downhill after Katrina. Still ignores the fact I don't root for teams in the SB based upon whether or not I'd want to live someplace. Although your existence possibly explains why so many people hate the Patriots so maybe there's something to it...
        Ummm...I was making light of the rankings which I seem to take a lot less seriously than you. One could deduce I was joking when I said that if Drew Brees was a serial killer I'd testify on his behalf at his sentencing hearing....
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Ummm...I was making light of the rankings which I seem to take a lot less seriously than you. One could deduce I was joking when I said that if Drew Brees was a serial killer I'd testify on his behalf at his sentencing hearing....
          I never take this place seriously, Shirley.

Comment

http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/4...eceivers-fargo
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

#22 - Tennessee Titans
              Super Bowl Championships:
              NFL Championships: 0*
              Playoff Appearances: 21 (14-19 (0.424))

The Tennessee Titans come in at #22 on this list. The Titans began their history in the American Football League in 1960 as the Houston Oilers. As the Oilers, they won the first two AFL Championships in 1960 and 1961, and were runner-up in 1962 and 1967. While in Houston, the franchise had many successes, but were unable to reach the Super Bowl. The Oilers reached the AFC Championship game in 1978 and 1979, and made 7 straight postseason appearances from 1987-1993. Indeed, in total, the Titans franchise has made 21 postseason appearances, the 4th most for any franchise without winning a Super Bowl. Following the 1996 season, the franchise moved to Tennessee and changed their nickname to the Titans beginning with the 1999 season. The 1999 season was arguably the greatest season in franchise history, as the Titans went 13-3 and advanced to Super Bowl XXXIV, coming up one yard short of forcing overtime against the Rams. The Titans would get back to the AFC Title game in 2002, but fell to Oakland, and lost in the Divisional round to Baltimore in 2008 after posting a 13-3 regular season record. Tennessee has largely struggled since 2008, failing to reach the postseason and posting only 1 +.500 season. The Titans do look like a franchise on the rise, however, and T-Rac and the Tennessee faithful will hope to bring home more hardware, including an elusive Lombardi Trophy, in the near future.

#22 - Tennessee Titans: 78.9047 Points
              #23 - Los Angeles Chargers: 68.583 Points
              #24 - New York Jets: 57.2376 Points
              #25 - New Orleans Saints: 51.8186 Points
              #26 - Arizona Cardinals: 49.1015 Points
              #27 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 44.2051 Points
              #28 - Cincinnati Bengals: 42.3729 Points
              #29 - Atlanta Falcons: 40.6032 Points
              #30 - Carolina Panthers: 38.3619 Points
              #31 - Jacksonville Jaguars: 9.9472 Points
              #32 - Houston Texans: 9.4392 Points

*The Titans won the 1960 and 1961 AFL Championship while playing as the Houston Oilers.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I'm surprised winning a SB counts for so little for the Jets. Does your method have recency bias?
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Although your existence possibly explains why so many people hate the Patriots so maybe there's something to it...
                  This is unfair. I hated Boston fans long before I ever met Rover.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    I'm surprised winning a SB counts for so little for the Jets. Does your method have recency bias?
                    There are a lot of REALLY bad years offsetting that.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Only to the extent that the NFL plays 2 more games than it did back in the day, but that has no impact on the weight given to Super Bowl titles. Keep in mind that the Jets have historically struggled as a franchise. They only have 4 division titles, have one of the worst winning percentages, have only 14 playoff appearances, and 1 Super Bowl appearance. Had they lost Super Bowl III, the Jets would likely be fighting with the Panthers for the #30 spot.

It's really a similar case with the Saints. They have a recent Super Bowl win, but have also historically struggled as a franchise. They sit behind the Jets because they have 4 fewer playoff appearances, 5 fewer playoff wins, and the second worst winning percentage in the NFL. Without their title, they would likely be below the Panthers.
                      North Dakota

Comment

There are only 2 teams that didn't win a title that haven't been listed yet...Buffalo and Minnesota. The Chargers and Titans both have AFL titles...not sure how much weight he gave to those. Two other teams with a single super bowl win are left too...Kansas City and Seattle. It's really not that bad especially if you give the Chargers/Titans championships or near championship points for their AFL titles.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          There are only 2 teams that didn't win a title that haven't been listed yet...Buffalo and Minnesota. The Chargers and Titans both have AFL titles...not sure how much weight he gave to those. Two other teams with a single super bowl win are left too...Kansas City and Seattle. It's really not that bad especially if you give the Chargers/Titans championships or near championship points for their AFL titles.
                          Buffalo has 2 AFL Championships, and Minnesota has an NFL Championship.
                          North Dakota

Comment

The Vikings own an NFL Championship title to their record, back when the Super Bowl was held between the two competing leagues, not conferences.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              Buffalo has 2 AFL Championships, and Minnesota has an NFL Championship.
                              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              The Vikings own an NFL Championship title to their record, back when the Super Bowl was held between the two competing leagues, not conferences.
                              Yes, I know the Vikings have an NFL championship, but it is not considered a "Championship" because it was during the Super Bowl era...overlooked the Buffalo titles though in my haste to make the post.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Yes, I know the Vikings have an NFL championship, but it is not considered a "Championship" because it was during the Super Bowl era...overlooked the Buffalo titles though in my haste to make the post.
                                The NFL considers it a Championship.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X