Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.0: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.0: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    So is the US election process biased? If it were based on popular vote, this would be a Democratic government - rather the GOP has control over all branches. The problem? The states and districts result in serious gerrymandering outcomes. The numbers?

US Senate popular vote nearly a dead heat - national vote GOP 49% to Dems 48%
    US Senate seats not even close - GOP 241, Dems 194

US House popular vote landslide for Dems - GOP 42% to Dems 54%
    US House seats GOP holds majority - GOP 52 to Dems 46%

US POTUS popular vote Dems win - GOP 46% to Dems 48%
    US POTUS outcome - Trump wins

The outcomes are mirrored at the state level - at least it is for MNs House and Senate.
    So this is what self inflicted torture looks like in the political ranks. It's meaningless because the USA isn't one giant district. Winning big in the districts you do win means nothing if the majority of districts are won small by your opponent.

The process isn't rigged. Everybody knows the rules going into the election. It's a matter of process execution by the parties.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      So is the US election process biased? If it were based on popular vote, this would be a Democratic government - rather the GOP has control over all branches. The problem? The states and districts result in serious gerrymandering outcomes. The numbers?

US Senate popular vote nearly a dead heat - national vote GOP 49% to Dems 48%
      US Senate seats not even close - GOP 241, Dems 194

US House popular vote landslide for Dems - GOP 42% to Dems 54%
      US House seats GOP holds majority - GOP 52 to Dems 46%

US POTUS popular vote Dems win - GOP 46% to Dems 48%
      US POTUS outcome - Trump wins

The outcomes are mirrored at the state level - at least it is for MNs House and Senate.
      I think you have the Senate and House reversed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        And a good plumber should get paid as much as, maybe not a good doctor, but a good lawyer certainly.

Voc schools are incredibly important. They are one of the engines of social mobility in this country. There actually was a time when the top decile of blue collar labor was salary-competitive with the second decile of white collar labor. Now it's probably somewhere down in the fifth or sixth, and that's fiscal class genocide.
        I wish to associate myself with the Distinguished Member from Ithaca's remarks.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          They have trade schools, that's definitely not what K-12 is suppposed to be for.
          I don't know about that. My school had a program with the local Vo-Tech in Rosemount for students who wanted to opt out of the non-required core classes and instead start down the path to becoming mechanics and such. They would spend half the school day there. I'd say about 30 kids took advantage of that from my class, which was 525 students. The kids taking these classes are in addition to those of us who took a basic auto-maintenance course, woodshop, home ec. and such.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            I think when you talk about things like literacy and graduation you're really only measuring how you are performing with say the bottom quarter of students. In a developed country like ours it's a given that a majority of kids will know how to read and graduate HS.
            You realize that's only a given because we created mandatory public education, right?

Prior to that, such things were not a given. And if we get rid if it as you and your ilk want to do, they will go away just as quickly.

Comment

I'm fine with them taking those classes over say Chemistry or Calculus and maybe towards the end of their last two years of HS they can elect to do more of those. It definitely shouldn't be replacing any of the core classes though like history, civics, English, the more basic math classes (algebra), and the more important science courses like biology and earth science.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              You realize that's only a given because we created mandatory public education, right?

Prior to that, such things were not a given. And if we get rid if it as you and your ilk want to do, they will go away just add quickly.
              Right, that and there are definitely large sectors of our country that don't have the ability to read etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                the more important science courses like...earth science.
                Uh, what? Rocks for jocks is now an important science course? Is that why honors/ap-track kids get to skip it entirely?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Prior to that, such things were not a given. And if we get rid if it as you and your ilk want to do, they will go away just as quickly.
                  Ha, what is my ilk? I don't want us to privatize education one bit. I'd like to see it be done differently and kids given more options though. I think there is a better way than the one size fits all model we currently use.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    The process isn't rigged. Everybody knows the rules going into the election. It's a matter of process execution by the parties.
                    There is rigging, but it's not really the rigging that people think of when they say "well, Clinton won the popular vote cleanly and the Dems won the greater total of votes for both Chambers, and yet the GOP has a sweep of all three. Something is wrong."

Nothing in that is necessarily wrong. The pop vote / electoral vote is in the Constitution and is not "rigging." I'd be in favor of scrapping the EC, but that's not the point. Likewise, the Senate difference between total votes cast and the Senate composition is explained by Constitutional provision that less populous rural Republican states get the same Senate representation as highly populated urbanized Democratic states. Again, I would choose to amend this, but it is the current rule set.

The House is in fact "rigged," but far more indirectly, and it is ironically rigged by democratic means. Both parties gerrymander but Republicans have been able to gerrymander more effectively since the 2010 census. This is because state legislatures control the drawing of districts and Republicans did well in the 2010 election which chose the state legislators who drew the districts. 2010 happened to be a midterm election in which Republicans, with a smaller number of more fiercely committed voters, do disproportionately well in. So while Republicans "stole" the House, they stole it fair and square. Dems had the same opportunity and incentives to get to the polls and win majorities in state legislatures. We just didn't.

Voter suppression is real and it looms as a "nuclear option" threat for Republicans to win elections by disenfranchising voters. I do not know whether there is any documented case yet of the GOP stealing a Senate or Presidential election by voter suppression. The House I'm sure they have managed. It's a terrifying threat that ought to concern everybody, not just Democrats who happen to be on the short end of the stick right now. If for example the education gap between voters continues to widen, in future voter suppression measures will help better-informed Democrats disproportionately.

It would be A Good Thing to make it illegal now for the benefit of the whole body politic, but of course that only happens if voters push with bipartisan force, and the corporate control of media ensures that less powerful people are always at each other's throats over invented poutrages.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Uh, what? Rocks for jocks is now an important science course? Is that why honors/ap-track kids get to skip it entirely?
                      How the earth was formed, the earth is not actually 6000 years old, plate tectonics etc.

I mean I'm pretty sure we learned that stuff in middle school and I could've skipped it but it's something you should learn at some point.

Comment

I'm assuming you were joking, since any discipline can be taught "down" or "up." I took a Baby Bio class as a freshman to satisfy an ALS requirement which was the easiest class I ever took in college (and from my disinterest generated my worst grade, of course). But Bio as a discipline is INSANELY complex and essential.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          How the earth was formed, the earth is not actually 6000 years old, plate tectonics etc.
                          So. Fake news?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I don't know about that. My school had a program with the local Vo-Tech in Rosemount for students who wanted to opt out of the non-required core classes and instead start down the path to becoming mechanics and such. They would spend half the school day there. I'd say about 30 kids took advantage of that from my class, which was 525 students. The kids taking these classes are in addition to those of us who took a basic auto-maintenance course, woodshop, home ec. and such.
                            Same thing with where I grew up, involving a 40 mile trip to the BOCES location. Some even did full day and later picked up the GED.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              So. Fake news?
                              Oh man my sides!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                So. Fake news?
                                Post of the year. The Mike dropped.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X