Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 NCAA Women's Frozen Four

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Thumbs up. Just don't forget Jessica Dunne.

tmitchell: Any Lodging Recommendations or Deals that you know of? Or at least ideal locations?
    I did sort of forget her! I knew she played for OSU but couldn't remember her first name & was too lazy to look it up!
    Would there be any interest in an all USCHO get-together on the rest day, say for lunch or dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by tmitchell View Post
      We are looking for former NCAA Women's Ice Hockey players that are possibly from the St. Louis Area. Any ideas?
      snicker snicker

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        Would there be any interest in an all USCHO get-together on the rest day, say for lunch or dinner?
        It's a great idea.

What you need is a small group of organizers to pick a time and place. To create interest, keep the on-line conversation going, possibly on this thread. We used this formula for a decade's worth of "USCHO Posters Games" in connection with the Men's FF, and it worked out very well. Basically it was an Open Hockey/Drop-In Hockey session. That event was held from 2002 through 2011.

Personally, my own plans for St. Louis are much too iffy for me to be organizer. But I'd certainly help keep the conversation going, and be there if I travel.

Another possibility is to focus on the hotel side. The idea would be to identify a hotel close to the rink with good restaurant/bar/recreation options. Then, if most posters stayed at the "Tournament Central" -- or at least close by -- holding a Meet & Greet might be doable.

And for that matter, as long as there was a hotel or two to focus on, you wouldn't necessarily need a specific time. Just hang out with the hockey crowd, and let conversations happen as they may.

Other ideas?

Comment

Question that I'm hoping you all can help me out with. We are looking for former NCAA Women's Ice Hockey players that are possibly from the St. Louis Area. Any ideas?
          Even though the numbers will be small, it's a legitimate question.

Given that St. Louis is a major market, odds are that a handful of players have migrated there for career reasons. But identifying them will be a chore. I would think that most D-1 programs would have an Alumni Association with a reasonably current address list. But contacting those associations one-by-one would admittedly be labor intensive.

As for players that came from St. Louis, most programs keep an All-Time Letterwinners list. Typically such a list would include hometowns. Or, you could check old Roster sheets. Many of these items are archived and available on-line. But again, that's starting to get labor intensive.

You might want to assemble an e-mail list of Women's Hockey SIDs. Then, send out a group message, posing your question to them. The SIDs will know the ins & outs of their school's database. Of course even with a follow-up e-mail you wouldn't get a 100% response rate. But you might just uncover a name or two.

Comment

It's a great idea.

What you need is a small group of organizers to pick a time and place. To create interest, keep the on-line conversation going, possibly on this thread. We used this formula for a decade's worth of "USCHO Posters Games" in connection with the Men's FF, and it worked out very well. Basically it was an Open Hockey/Drop-In Hockey session. That event was held from 2002 through 2011.

Personally, my own plans for St. Louis are much too iffy for me to be organizer. But I'd certainly help keep the conversation going, and be there if I travel.

Another possibility is to focus on the hotel side. The idea would be to identify a hotel close to the rink with good restaurant/bar/recreation options. Then, if most posters stayed at the "Tournament Central" -- or at least close by -- holding a Meet & Greet might be doable.

And for that matter, as long as there was a hotel or two to focus on, you wouldn't necessarily need a specific time. Just hang out with the hockey crowd, and let conversations happen as they may.

Other ideas?
            MY work life just got turned on its head again and now I am not sure we are even going. I have not canceled the hotel yet but if my boss continues down the current path I will have to in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              MY work life just got turned on its head again and now I am not sure we are even going. I have not canceled the hotel yet but if my boss continues down the current path I will have to in a couple of weeks.
              Sorry to hear it, and definitely understood.

In my case, time off is the issue. Might mean I do Friday OR Sunday, but not both. Which of course could easily mess up Saturday plans.

St. Louis is a 7 Hour Car Trip from Columbus, a bit closer than most Women's FF sites. So regardless of participating teams, I'm certainly interested in attending. Will probably be in position to make the call a couple of weeks out. On the plus side, last minute tickets shouldn't be a problem with a 10,000 seat venue.

Bigger Picture: Regardless of whether either of us personally goes, a designated restaurant and/or hotel is still a good idea for those making the trip.

Comment

Thumbs up. Just don't forget Jessica Dunne.

tmitchell: Any Lodging Recommendations or Deals that you know of? Or at least ideal locations?
                If you check out our microsite it lists some St. Charles area hotels and distance to the arena. I will copy the link to this post! Thank you!

https://stlsports.org/special-event/...n-four/hotels/
                Get your March 17th and 19th Women's Frozen Four tickets here: https://stlsports.org/special-event/...s-frozen-four/

Comment

It's a great idea.

Other ideas?
                  Downtown St. Charles has many great restaurants and bars for you all to get together at!

visit http://www.historicstcharles.com/ for more information!
                  Get your March 17th and 19th Women's Frozen Four tickets here: https://stlsports.org/special-event/...s-frozen-four/

Comment

We are trying to follow along as much as possible to stay up to date with the happenings in Women's College Hockey, we are currently in the process of looking into good news stories involving the top teams who have a chance of making it here to St. Charles for the Women's Frozen Four. If you all have any ideas, please let me know!

Comment

When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all!

(Banned by the NCAA)
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We are trying to follow along as much as possible to stay up to date with the happenings in Women's College Hockey, we are currently in the process of looking into good news stories involving the top teams who have a chance of making it here to St. Charles for the Women's Frozen Four. If you all have any ideas, please let me know!
                        You're looking at having easily the deepest tournament field in history. Wisconsin is all alone at #1, but you could throw a blanket over, say, 2 through 7 or so.

Buckys5thQuarter.com has excellent Wisconsin coverage. I cover BC on BCInterruption.com. TheIceGarden.com is an excellent resource for coverage of the sport as a whole.

This article is pretty notable, about Wisconsin's record-setting game attendance against St. Cloud: http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2017...lark-pankowski

Recap of BC's game at Fenway Park: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-frozen-fenway

Those are just examples, you'll see a ton of coverage on those three sites in particular.
                        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM.
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          You're looking at having easily the deepest tournament field in history.
                          I think it depends on how you define deepest. You're correct if it means the most teams that could get into the field and upset the No. 2 seed and nobody would be that surprised. But I don't think it is close to several seasons in terms of teams that could conceivably win it all. Both of the last two years had very good FF fields in terms of balance. Wisconsin is better than it was last year, but not by a huge margin. The big change is that most of the teams chasing the Badgers have gotten worse. UMD is a little bit better than it was, but it looks hugely improved because much of the top and middle of its league has eroded.

If you look back at a year like 2007, there were some road teams that were capable of knocking off quality hosts. I don't see this year as being much better, if it even is better, when looking at the top 8.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I think the field is also deeper in terms of the number of teams that have a real shot at making a late season run and getting into the tournament.

Edited to add: TTT may also define "easily the deepest tournament field in history" as "Minnesota might not be in it."
                            Last edited by Eeyore; 01-24-2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I see six teams that could conceivably win the title. Throw a blanket over two through six. While Wisconsin is the clear far and away favorite, it's absolutely conceivable that someone can beat them. After that, anything can happen.
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                I see six teams that could conceivably win the title. Throw a blanket over two through six. While Wisconsin is the clear far and away favorite, it's absolutely conceivable that someone can beat them. After that, anything can happen.
                                Yeah, I was going to say that if you guys want to skip the 'formality' of actually playing the games, and just ship the trophy to Madison... I'll be happy to get you that address.

Comment

Working...
                                X