This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    GDP isn't government revenue though. Even if I go along with your analogy it wouldn't make any sense for someone making $100K a year to run a $3K deficit when times are good. You need to be saving for a day when you lose your job, get sick, etc.
    That still doesn't make it a massive deficit or a frightening sum. Especially when the government is leaving a lot of money on the table by cutting taxes for no reason.

And "tax and spend" is more fiscally conservative than "borrow and spend."

But guns. And emails. And Benghazi. You're being played, and don't even realize it. That's what's disappointing.
    Last edited by unofan; 01-10-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      That still doesn't make it a massive deficit or a frightening sum. Especially when the government is leaving a lot of money on the table by cutting taxes for no reason.

And "tax and spend" is more fiscally conservative than "borrow and spend."

But guns. And emails. And Benghazi. You're being played, and don't even realize it. That's what's disappointing.
      I think you're missing the bigger picture. The last few years were a good chance to make up for the years when the economy sucked or we were at war. There is an opportunity cost that you are disregarding.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: POTUS Elect Trump II: We Are So Totally F%*#ed

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I was wondering what the equivalent reaction in the other direction would be, if say Trump and the GOP truly implode and we get the four horsemen and then a tremendous liberal wave in 2018-20.

What would I wish for if I could have everything? In no particularly order. Amendments where required.

1. Abolition of the Electoral College. Presidency to be decided by plurality of popular vote.
        2. Statehood for DC and the US territories. I'd split them into the Pacific Islands (American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands) and the Atlantic Islands (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands). That's three new states and 6 new Democratic Senators, but, you know, just coincidence and they should be represented
        3. Amendment specifying that the rights delineated in the constitution do not apply to any fictive person (e.g., corporations).
        4. ERA, well duh.
        5. Amendment specifying Congressional districts will be redrawn by a non-partisan board using impartial mathematical models which emphasize maximal contiguity and whatever that dispersion of mass metric is that tells you a shape is not "twisty"
        6. Public financing of elections, with one exception: total individual contributions capped at 1/10th of median American net worth (MANW). No collective or fictive entity may contribute. Advertising limited to the actual campaign and capped at 10x MANW.
        7. Single payer health care
        8. 90% estate tax over 100x MANW.
        9. Criminalize the use of overseas tax shelters.
        Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        1. I'll leave that to the states to pass.
        2. Agreed (Samoa has the highest per capital rate of participation in the armed forces. I think Guam is up there as well. Time to thank them.)
        3. Agreed
        4. Yep.
        5. Agreed
        6. In a dream world I would love this. I have no idea how it would pass muster though short of an amendment.
        7. I'm growing more accepting of this. I neither support or oppose it. I used to oppose it flat out.

8. Less interested in this. Maybe. According to Wikipedia* the median net worth is around $81k. That would put 100x around $8.1 million. I guess that's higher than I thought. I think I would prefer a progressive structure similar to income tax today. I have no idea what the brackets would be. I also think that certain small farms would be negatively impacted. I just don't know enough on how much a net worth is relative to maybe a "real" net worth is for a family farm. How much fluctuation is involved in a 20-year period? Etc.

9. I think a better way to do it is tax all income, foreign and domestic. You get deductions for paying foreign taxes and lose deductions (or have to claim as income) benefits like zero property tax, etc. This is an attempt to eliminate paying a billion in taxes overseas and getting a *wink* *wink* credit for $999,999,999.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weal..._United_States
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I think you're missing the bigger picture. The last few years were a good chance to make up for the years when the economy sucked or we were at war. There is an opportunity cost that you are disregarding.
          I'm objecting to your scare tactic labels, not your analysis.

But if you want to go that route, it's hardly being magnanimous to "also" blame the GOP when a)Congress has the power of the purse, b)the GOP controls Congress, and c) they turned down the grand bargain that would have given them 97% of what they wanted because God forbid we raise taxes at all.

Comment

I hope this is real:

Guy boasts on FB about Obamacare reveal, then is told Obamacare and ACA are same thing.

Comment

I really find the use of war as an excuse to run up the debt to be kind of gross. Wars post WWII have been optional. The US government can always change its policy on these wars. That Obama hasn't had to pay for a war is to his credit, not the other way around.

ETA: oh, and didn't bush play funny money with the cost of Iraq so it wasn't reflected in the spending or debt?
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

One more thing, to Drew's point, do wish Obama had taken on more cheap debt to invest even more in infrastructure. With interest rates on the rise from record lows, we have kind of lost the opportunity to take out cheap debt to pay for these projects. It would have been nice to see a couple hundred billion more to spend on highways, bridges, the grid, broadband fiber, etc.

This is all based on my crude understanding of how our debt is issued and how it accrues interest.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I really find the use of war as an excuse to run up the debt to be kind of gross. Wars post WWII have been optional. The US government can always change its policy on these wars. That Obama hasn't had to pay for a war is to his credit, not the other way around.

ETA: oh, and didn't bush play funny money with the cost of Iraq so it wasn't reflected in the spending or debt?
                  Bush kept the war out of the reported deficit, but it's in the annual change in debt, which is why that's more accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    I'm objecting to your scare tactic labels, not your analysis.

But if you want to go that route, it's hardly being magnanimous to "also" blame the GOP when a)Congress has the power of the purse, b)the GOP controls Congress, and c) they turned down the grand bargain that would have given them 97% of what they wanted because God forbid we raise taxes at all.
                    I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else. I'm just pointing out that we've really squandered a great opportunity the last few years. The republicans deserve a lot of the blame as well, theres no two ways about that. With all that being said, the debt/deficits are a stain on Obama's presidency as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Oh, it's real. It's happening all over the country. Yes, people are that stupid.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else. I'm just pointing out that we've really squandered a great opportunity the last few years. The republicans deserve a lot of the blame as well, theres no two ways about that. With all that being said, the debt/deficits are a stain on Obama's presidency as far as I'm concerned.
                        I still don't see how you can single out Obama for this (compared to past presidents as well as completely ignoring Congress's responsibility for this) and seemingly use this as a single issue to paint his entire presidency and policy decisions.
                        Code:

Comment

I'll bet this is happening to a hundred thousand people. "Keep the gubbint out of my Medicare!!!" SSDD.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I honestly don't know how you can say this with a straight face after the Republican Congress' anarchist drag act.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I still don't see how you can single out Obama for this (compared to past presidents as well as completely ignoring Congress's responsibility for this) and seemingly use this as a single issue to paint his entire presidency and policy decisions.
                              I wasn't trying to single him out, and Bush was just as bad if not worse. He wasn't a horrible president but as I said in my original post the debt/deficits and his handling of the Middle East are marks against him. I'd probably give him a C overall. I've said a lot of times republicans deserve a lot of the blame for spending as well. I still think Obama could have done more though, fairly or unfairly.

Comment

I wasn't trying to single him out, and Bush was just as bad if not worse. He wasn't a horrible president but as I said in my original post the debt/deficits and his handling of the Middle East are marks against him. I'd probably give him a C overall. I've said a lot of times republicans deserve a lot of the blame for spending as well. I still think Obama could have done more though, fairly or unfairly.
                                No, Bush wasn't horrible. Just the worst President in my lifetime.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X