X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEAD THREAD 2017: "This guy here is dead!"..."Cross him off, then!"

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Bold for emphasis. Nobody disputes this. Somewhere there is a rhythmic gymnastics icon.
    Popular music and major sports garner a *bit* more attention. I guess I use the "popular" factor/interest in (insert field) when it comes to this.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Popular music and major sports garner a *bit* more attention. I guess I use the "popular" factor/interest in (insert field) when it comes to this.
      I think Kepler is being intentionally obtuse or just being stubborn based upon personal tastes. Palmer and Prince extended every bit as far beyond their industry as Bowie whom he has no trouble naming to such a list.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I think Kepler is being intentionally obtuse or just being stubborn based upon personal tastes. Palmer and Prince extended every bit as far beyond their industry as Bowie whom he has no trouble naming to such a list.
        Kepler stubborn based on his personal tastes??? Nah, can't be.

Comment

Masaya Nakamura, founder of Namco, 91.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I'll agree on music. Sports, only if it's a sport played round the world, so I'm afraid Babe Ruth and Jim Brown have to suck it.

Not OJ, though. OJ's an icon alright...

I just don't know about Prince. It's possibly he's Freddy Mercury out there in the wide world. I'll defer to the town meeting for a ruling on this.

I think of icons as a pyramid. Start with Jesus as the capstone and start moving down. At some point you artificially draw a line and say "icon above, celeb below." Where that line is is a matter of taste.*

* Or maybe there's a critical test: does the Culturally Conscious Man in the Street on the other side of the cultural world at least know who the person is? Not just the name but the "it" he or she is? Not the ignorant Amazon blow dart hunter or Sarah Palin, but a person with a modicum of culture from a totally different head space.

To put it another way: India's got Bollywood stars with a billion fans. Know any? If you do, that person has a shot at being an icon. I've heard of one: Guru Dutt (who wasn't even an actor).

So as much as my life was transformed by, say, George Carlin, he's not an all caps ICON. An icon needs to cast a global shadow, like Ali.
            Last edited by Kepler; 01-30-2017, 10:23 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I'm open to the possibility that Bowie doesn't deserve to be on the list. My impression is he defined a particular era of culture, not just music, the way say The Beatles collectively (not individually) did before, and Elvis before them.

I agree that as music has shattered into a billion genres we may never have another music icon. I can't think of anybody after MJ except maybe Beyonce?

But I will say this: I insist that my obtuseness is not intentional.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

C'mon. Mccartney? Clapton? Keef and Mick?

Or are you talking more recent musical folks? Madonna for sure. Miley and Bieber?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

For "current" possible icons, Dave Grohl in the music world. I don't think he'll transcend like Prince or Bowie, though, despite his influences and talent.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    C'mon. Mccartney? Clapton? Keef and Mick?

Or are you talking more recent musical folks? Madonna for sure. Miley and Bieber?
                    I'm saying more recent than, say, Thriller.

Madonna, certainly. Others? Although rap as a whole is earth-shaking there is no single transformative figure for the outside cultural world. Biggie really only reached mas consciousness after death (how ironic). Kanye thinks he is but he's really, really not.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Re: DEAD THREAD 2017: "This guy here is dead!"..."Cross him off, then!"

For "current" possible icons, Dave Grohl in the music world. I don't think he'll transcend like Prince or Bowie, though, despite his influences and talent.
                      For me this is a perfect example of a "cognoscenti icon," very much like Prince and, the more I think about it now, Bowie (the poster child is Zappa). These are people we really want to be icons because of their sheer quality. There are dozens of jazz artists in this group (Coltrane, Gillespie, Ellington, Holiday, Fitzgerald, Miles, Bird) but the only actual jazz "icon" is probably Louie Armstrong.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Ummmm, no. Average, middle of the road, mid-level talent. Certainly no icon. Eddie Vedder sits higher than him.

Comment

Grohl doesn't approach Prince/Bowie but he's every bit the musical talent that Vedder is. Played every instrument on the Foo's first record because he didn't have a band yet, teaching himself to play guitar etc. Seriously dafuq?

Comment

So he can play a bunch of instruments. His music is mundane and pedestrian.

Cobain couldn't play worth crap, but what he came up with runs rings around Grohl creatively.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              So he can play a bunch of instruments. His music is mundane and pedestrian.

Cobain couldn't play worth crap, but what he came up with runs rings around Grohl creatively.
                              Ok, so I know your opinion doesn't count in my world (and I love Vedder).

As for rap.....singular....LL Cool J. But it's been mostly groups that have transformed rap in modern day. NWA, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang Clan. Even going back to Run DMC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'm saying more recent than, say, Thriller.

Madonna, certainly. Others? Although rap as a whole is earth-shaking there is no single transformative figure for the outside cultural world. Biggie really only reached mas consciousness after death (how ironic). Kanye thinks he is but he's really, really not.
                                Ummmm... What about Tupac?
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X