Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Veteran

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Hi, my name is jen, and I suck at resting.

lubba wubba dub dub

Hi, my name is withheld, and I'm far too good at resting. At least now that I have a messed up shoulder to go along with my plantar fasciitis.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Let's Go Red!

Competed in an 8K yesterday. Second year in a row competing in this particular race. I finished in the EXACT same time as I did last year (36:36). To the second. Due to suboptimal conditions (throughout training) my goal was to finish in about the same time as last year, and I guess my body took that very literally. I don't think I could do that again if I tried.

Hi, my name is Bob, and for all that I do, I think rest is a dirty word. I don't like the fact that I'm resting today.

For the record, I also hate hearing that I should slow down and not do so much.

Got an email from Kal-Haven trail run race organizers asking me when I will finish.

This is a 33.5 mile run that starts at 7 AM and the cutoff is at 3 PM. With that in mind, I'm shooting for a 12:30/mile, or 2 PM finish.

Veteran

Again the with resting thing. I thought spin class might be OK, so I took a couple.. back was a little worse the day or 2 after. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on Monday. My back would be fine if I didn't want to exercise, because it's not that painful. Frustrating.

lubba wubba dub dub

I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool
    13 marathons later, and I've had no problems with my kidneys. With Charlevoix, Marquette, and Detroit happening later this year, plus the marathon portion of the Michigan Titanium full duathlon... I'll be just fine.

8 days until the Kal-Haven trail run. Getting nervous... 33.5 miles, when I finish, will be the furthest I have ever run.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.

Math atheist

That's a good job outta you, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by melmac View Post
    That's a good job outta you, Bob!
    Thank you. The last 6-7 miles... I had to dig as deep as I could.

Here's the medal:
    kalhavenmedal

And here's a fun fact: I burned 8,195 calories yesterday.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.
    Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Congrats!!!
    Thank you! Now I need to rest and recover. Luckily, between yoga, Pilates, and the bike, that won't be too difficult.

But for now, I'm going to crack open a bottle of Saugatuck Bonfire Brown Ale and celebrate.
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran

Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.
    I'd give it a few more days, then go.

And after a week of relaxing and eating, it's time to get up and start training again.

Next big challenges: Michigan Titanium full distance duathlon on August 20, and the Hungerford 50 (second attempt) on September 30.
    ― Franz Kafka

For the first time ever, I used the gym at the Hilton I stayed at this past week. Did some cardio on the bike, then hit the weight machines - felt pretty good. Woke up the next morning, and I felt like an 80 year-old man. Moving my upper body was torture.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

I've had a week of doing nothing except eating and recovering from my ultra. Time to start working out again. Not sure if I'll return to running this week, but I do think it's time to get back on the bike, plus do my yoga and Pilates workouts.
    ― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Its funny. I know a bunch of people that are exercise nuts. And they think that exercise is everything and diet isn't very important. And I know a bunch of people that are big into diet and don't know if they're lazy, but they don't put much effort into exercise. They think that diet is everything - exercise is something but not that important.

Must.emphasize.both.
    By the way, 5mn_major, I remember when I trained for my first marathon. People kept telling me "oh, you can eat whatever you want, and you'll just burn it right off." As much as I like softball sized muffins from coffee shops, Nutella, and a few other treats, I know I can't have those things every day. When I worked at Sam's Club, when I saw a "reject cake" sitting in the break room, I let it go, because 1) I didn't plan on it, and two, it was no special occasion.

Furthermore, with all the endurance stuff I do, I know that most of my carbohydrates have to be smart carbohydrates. Mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The reason why I stopped mostly with the bagels is that they're not smart carbs.

And as I start training for the Hungerford 50 and as Michigan Titanium training kicks up, not only will I have to add more protein and healthy fat, I'll have to monitor the carbs to see exactly what I'm eating.
    ― Franz Kafka

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.
    That's my biggest impediment. With my indoor soccer season finally over, I can get back to regular exercise. I know it sounds crazy, but playing goalie for an indoor team almost always left me needing a week to recover from the minor injuries or bumps and bruises I would get from soccer. I could start again by around Monday or Tuesday, but I didn't want to show up to soccer still sore from getting back into it again. Team wouldn't like that.

But getting sick is probably the worst thing. It drains your energy, it screws with your respiration, and your routine is thrown off. I'm hoping this gunk is out of my system by Monday when I plan to start up again in earnest.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Thread Information