Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Diet-exercise-sleep.

I've got work to do on all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Diet-exercise-sleep.

Yep. Since my ultra, I've kind of fallen apart.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Yep. Since my ultra, I've kind of fallen apart.
    And today confirmed it. Rivertown Races half-marathon this morning: started out fine, wasn't looking for anything other than fun. Then at mile 8, things started to go terribly wrong. After I drank at the aid station, I made it about another 0.2 miles up the course, when I started feeling very light-headed. Stopped, hunched over, and put my hands on my knees. 12:00 pacer, the one I was running with, asked if I was okay, and I clearly was not. So she ran back to the EMTs and brought them to me. So they put me on the back of a cart and started asking questions. They started running test, such as pulse ox, BP, etc. Then they took me back to the finish area, and into the back of an ambulance. Did an ECG, which revealed a slight arrythmia, which prompted a discussion about going to the hospital. I consented, and so spent 1-2 hours at St. Mary's hospital in Grand Rapids. After receiving 1L of sodium chloride drip, the hospital said everything returned to normal, and I was free to go.

Maybe it is time I turned it down a notch.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran

Huge improvement in my back after yoga last week (chiro says the back is OK, but hammies and glutes are too tight and it's causing back pain). Played hockey this morning and it felt pretty good. I really missed sweat.

NEVER fall off track/training. Starting up again is hard.
    ― Franz Kafka

Nike tried to break 2 hours in a marathon. Their guy (a Kenyan or Ethiopian) posted 2:00:24, missing a world record by 25 seconds.

Meanwhile, if I break 4:30:00, I'm good.
    ― Franz Kafka

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

So I started this journey in March 2016 after a scare from my work physical. That moment convinced me it was finally time to do something about my weight. That April, I attended an introduction to weight loss surgery class at Allina and began the process of getting my eating and lifestyle in check. Because of scheduling issues, I didn't start the dietitian portion of my pre-op requirements until June and reached my worst weight on May 5, 2016.

Since then I've steadily lost weight and made some major changes to my diet and tried my best to find time for exercise. After successful surgery in January 2017 and more lifestyle changes, I can announce today that I have lost 100 lbs in the last 370 days and hope to continue to lose more. Feels really good to say that...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Math atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    So I started this journey in March 2016 after a scare from my work physical. That moment convinced me it was finally time to do something about my weight. That April, I attended an introduction to weight loss surgery class at Allina and began the process of getting my eating and lifestyle in check. Because of scheduling issues, I didn't start the dietitian portion of my pre-op requirements until June and reached my worst weight on May 5, 2016.

Since then I've steadily lost weight and made some major changes to my diet and tried my best to find time for exercise. After successful surgery in January 2017 and more lifestyle changes, I can announce today that I have lost 100 lbs in the last 370 days and hope to continue to lose more. Feels really good to say that...
    Woot!
    I can only imagine how great that feels. You look great, and I look forward to seeing less of you as time goes by.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by melmac View Post
    Woot!
    I can only imagine how great that feels. You look great, and I look forward to seeing less of you as time goes by.
    Yeah, we'll see how many more I can shed. My doctor thought another 50 (his numbers are better than the national average), my dietitian thought more like 30 more. I think I'll be quite happy if I can land somewhere in the middle and keep off 130+ lbs long term.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Yeah, we'll see how many more I can shed. My doctor thought another 50 (his numbers are better than the national average), my dietitian thought more like 30 more. I think I'll be quite happy if I can land somewhere in the middle and keep off 130+ lbs long term.
    Way to go!
    ― Franz Kafka

Lucia Apologist

Seriously SG, that's absolutely phenomenal. Way to make a difference in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Nike tried to break 2 hours in a marathon. Their guy (a Kenyan or Ethiopian) posted 2:00:24, missing a world record by 25 seconds.

Meanwhile, if I break 4:30:00, I'm good.
    For the record, he beat the world record by a healthy margin (roughly 2 minutes). But it doesn't count because they rotated fresh pacers in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    For the record, he beat the world record by a healthy margin (roughly 2 minutes). But it doesn't count because they rotated fresh pacers in and out.
    Well, we know it can be done. But I'd like to see Kipchoge do it when it counts.
    ― Franz Kafka

Today, I ran the River Bank Run 25K. Today wasn't about setting a PR, today was about getting my confidence back, which was shot to hell after the DNF two weeks ago. So I finished in 3:08:40, and I don't even care about the time. What matters is that I crossed the finish line.

And in the midst of upheaval (working second shift and moving to a new city), I found out what I need to do to get back on track... the only question is, do I have what it takes to do it?
    ― Franz Kafka

Lucia Apologist

With soccer over I started P90x again. I decided to start with plyo like I always do. I struggled. I'm going to look like FDR trying to go down a flight of stairs tomorrow.

Since I moved to Holland, MI, I've kind of fallen off track. Workouts, which were scheduled 5-6 days a week, are sporadic now, and my nutrition, which was on point, is going to hell too. Here's what I plan to do to get back on track:

1. I work second shift, so commit to a 1 AM bedtime and an 8 AM wakeup call.
    2. Recommit to 60-120 minutes of physical activity per day, 5-6 days a week, with more coming on long run Saturday and long ride Sunday. Seriously, between training for another attempt at the Hungerford 50 mile and the Michigan Titanium half-duathlon (56 mile ride, 13.1 mile run), plus yoga and Pilates, this should be easy.
    3. Less bagels, more oatmeal in the morning. Bagels are a great breakfast before a race, but not on a Tuesday.
    4. Get away from Clif Bars (both Energy and Protein), and find real food alternatives. Seriously, the 3 of the first 4 ingredients in a Clif Protein Bar are some kind of sugar. Honestly thinking canned sardines and tuna, here.
    5. Home cooking as much as possible, though I understand there are days when I will have to dine out.
    6. Less pop, more water. More for financial purposes.
    7. Limit coffee intake to 3-4 cups a day.
    ― Franz Kafka

For those of you who tell me I do too much:

I understand now. The last couple years, I've done a lot, and I'm starting to feel it.
    ― Franz Kafka

lubba wubba dub dub

Best of luck, Bob. Setbacks are tough. The key now is to just find what works for you - either changing your routine or simply cutting back on the quantity. It's different for everyone and the situations usually dictate the needed response.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Best of luck, Bob. Setbacks are tough. The key now is to just find what works for you - either changing your routine or simply cutting back on the quantity. It's different for everyone and the situations usually dictate the needed response.
    Basically, I received a huge wake up call in April. During a half-marathon, I could only keep up with the 12:00 pace, and then at mile 8, dehydration happened. Then I was urged to switch to the Michigan Titanium half-duathlon (56 mile ride followed by a half-marathon). Then I got bumped off track further, and realizing I was 2 months behind a 50 mile training plan, I caved and switched to the marathon.

That being said, despite moving and despite working second shift, I am making an effort to get back on track. I restarted yoga and Pilates, I'm back on my bike, and I'm re-introducing speed workouts (example: 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles at 5K pace, 1 mile cool down) to running.

But yes. Basically, my body has said I need to slow down. Where I feel it the most is my hips. Got on the floor for yoga and Pilates on Monday and realized I had a few "sticking points."
    ― Franz Kafka

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.
    Diet-exercise-sleep.

195.6. 129/99 BP

I'm ****ed as ****. I can't get the lower number down on the BP. The weight is flat.

The exercise part is much improved. I'm tracking how many steps per day, using my Fitbit. 10,400 steps works out to be roughly 5 miles for me. I set a goal of 62,400 steps per week, to get to 30 miles/week. I've hit that target 4 straight weeks, including just over 80,000 steps this week. The top number on the BP is coming down slowly, but the bottom number isn't budging. This is frustrating as hell.

The sleep part is improving.

The diet is a work in process, but I think I'm getting there.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Thread Information