X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    Thanks for the info.

That is a major plus.
    If you have if you have a recipe from Food Network, etc, just copy and paste the link and it will analyze it for you.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Dietitian is a good call. One thing you will need is some kind of food log, or clear memory of what you've been eating. Mine asks what I've been eating for meals and snacks, as well as beverages.

In terms of races, TCM Events' big 5K is the Twin Cities 5K in in late September, early October. Go for that one. You get a nice tech shirt and a medal just for finishing.
      Its funny. I know a bunch of people that are exercise nuts. And they think that exercise is everything and diet isn't very important. And I know a bunch of people that are big into diet and don't know if they're lazy, but they don't put much effort into exercise. They think that diet is everything - exercise is something but not that important.

Must.emphasize.both.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Its funny. I know a bunch of people that are exercise nuts. And they think that exercise is everything and diet isn't very important. And I know a bunch of people that are big into diet and don't know if they're lazy, but they don't put much effort into exercise. They think that diet is everything - exercise is something but not that important.

Must.emphasize.both.
        My schedule for this year:

Sgt. Preston 6 mile: DONE, 55:08
        Groundhog 1/6, Feb. 3- fun
        Groundhog full, Feb. 4- supported long run
        FUNderwear Run 5K, March 12- fun
        Irish Jig 5K, March 18-fun
        Kal-Haven Trail Run 33.5 miles, April 8- GOAL RACE
        Rivertown Races half-marathon, April 29- supported long run
        River Bank Run 25K, May 13- supported long run
        Kickoff to Summer 5K, May 27- fun
        Bear Lake Sprint Duathlon, May 28 (5K run/20K bike/5K run)- supported tuneup for MiTi
        Heritage Festival 5K, June 17- fun
        Charlevoix Marathon, June 24- supported long run
        Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon, July 9- supported tuneup for MiTi
        Tri Del Sol Olympic Duathlon, July 16- supported tuneup for MiTi
        Coast Guard 5K/10K combination, July 29- fun speedwork
        Old Farts half-marathon, August 12- supported long run
        Michigan Titanium full duathlon, August 20 (112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)- GOAL RACE
        Marquette Marathon, September 3- supported long run
        Reeds Lake Olympic Duathlon, September 9- fun
        Hungerford 50 mile, September 30- GOAL RACE
        Sleeping Bear Marathon, October 7- fun
        Detroit Marathon, October 15- fun
        Las Vegas Marathon, November 12- fun
        Tamarac Turkey Trot 10K, Thanksgiving- fun
        Resolution Run, December 31- fun

You better believe that to do all that, everything is in order. I do emphasize diet. I get plenty of vegetables without turning cauliflower into "rice" or "potatoes", or my zucchini into noodles. And I don't really do liquid calories. As for exercise, I don't just run/ride my bike. I do about 4 hours of yoga and Pilates a week, which is helping build muscle and core strength. And contrary to what you may believe, I do get adequate rest. There are days I take a rest day just because.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Must.emphasize.both.
          Both are important. I lift weights at work so when I go to the gym, I mainly do cardio.

My main focus is to control the food intake. Good food vs bad food.
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Eh, I gained a few pounds between November 30 and today. I just need to go back to smarter grocery shopping, such as no need to bring bagels home for a Tuesday morning.

And LWB, I also lift at my job. I lift dog food, cases of water, I help on grills and fireplaces, cat litter, and in some cases, I have to move the carts by hand, which is good for the core.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Eh, I gained a few pounds between November 30 and today. I just need to go back to smarter grocery shopping, such as no need to bring bagels home for a Tuesday morning.

And LWB, I also lift at my job. I lift dog food, cases of water, I help on grills and fireplaces, cat litter, and in some cases, I have to move the carts by hand, which is good for the core.
              It depends more on how you physically feel. Bagels seem like they'd make good fuel for the start of a run. You seem to forget what you posted here before, concentrating less on the scale and more on your distance timings.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Crept back up to over the 250 mark again. With me taking it easy after my hernia surgery and the holidays, it kinda just happened. Gotta get back on the horse and get my cardio going again.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  It depends more on how you physically feel. Bagels seem like they'd make good fuel for the start of a run. You seem to forget what you posted here before, concentrating less on the scale and more on your distance timings.
                  I like everything bagels, yes. I especially like them as breakfast before a marathon or long distance race, as my usual high-fiber breakfast is ill-advised on those days. However, my next marathon is next month, and I don't need them right now.

As for the scale, just wanted to see where I was to start the year. That's all. As long as I maintain, I should be fine.

Comment

I've been running and ever since college. But now I'm trying to balance it with weight training. The outcome is exactly what I'm looking for.

My issue is that with weight training, I just get wiped out for a day and a half...just in time to do more 2-3 days later. I had an ex tell me that she didn't like weight lifters because they were 'dumb'. I wouldn't be surprised if it were because they were just mentally blasted half the time. Wish there were some non med remedy (going to google it).
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

I've been running and ever since college. But now I'm trying to balance it with weight training. The outcome is exactly what I'm looking for.

My issue is that with weight training, I just get wiped out for a day and a half...just in time to do more 2-3 days later. I had an ex tell me that she didn't like weight lifters because they were 'dumb'. I wouldn't be surprised if it were because they were just mentally blasted half the time. Wish there were some non med remedy (going to google it).
                      If you're that wiped out after lifting weights, you're likely doing something wrong. Prior to my first shoulder injury I had been a very strong man, using a lot of weight during my exercises. In fact, I was one of those fools who had to twist my body in order to fit through a standard doorway. Aside from when I was just starting back into it after time off, due to either injury or illness, I was perfectly fine the next day.

I would say you're either not taking in enough food for your body to recover after lifting, your weights are too heavy for where you are in the process, you're not lifting often enough for your body to become accustomed to it, or you're lifting too frequently. It might take some time to find your rhythm. Always start back into lifting with weights much lighter than you're used to using.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        If you're that wiped out after lifting weights, you're likely doing something wrong. Prior to my first shoulder injury I had been a very strong man, using a lot of weight during my exercises. In fact, I was one of those fools who had to twist my body in order to fit through a standard doorway. Aside from when I was just starting back into it after time off, due to either injury or illness, I was perfectly fine the next day.

I would say you're either not taking in enough food for your body to recover after lifting, your weights are too heavy for where you are in the process, you're not lifting often enough for your body to become accustomed to it, or you're lifting too frequently. It might take some time to find your rhythm. Always start back into lifting with weights much lighter than you're used to using.
                        Yeah, Ive always likened myself to a Porsche (high performance, but only under the right circumstances) rather than an off road vehicle. Quite sensitive. Not many people have given up processed sugar since college...and sensed a sugar 'let down' when they were in grade school. I get as thorough check ups as frequently as anyone I know, so I don't expect there's anything more serious.

Been working this for over a year now. And I figure there are 4 reasons I feel like garbage after weights (but feel great after a run): 1) amount of weights 2) frequency of lifting 3) diet 4) other health issues. I think it can be each of those. I did end up with heightened creatine kinase, which caused me to stop my statins for awhile. But it appears to just be the way things are.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

If this year goes according to plan, these will be my lifetime totals to date:

19 marathons
                          11 half-marathons
                          8 25Ks
                          6 Olympic duathlons
                          2 Sprint duathlons
                          2 Sprint triathlons
                          2 ultra-marathons
                          And a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks

I know to some, it looks like I do too much, but the reality is... I built myself and trained for this. I can handle it. I don't feel tired, I don't feel sore, I'm ready to go.

Comment

Had my yearly physical on Thursday. Mostly positive review; doctor is amazed I can do all the things I do. But it's not all well. I'm up to 223, and it's mostly due to poor shopping choices. I can't fall asleep without a little help, either, and when I can't sleep, I eat. And not healthy, either. If it's not nailed down, it will go in my face.

And I can tell that poor choices have affected everything. My runs are sluggish (feels like I've lost power in my legs), I lost some flexibility in yoga and Pilates, and I had to bump back up to size 38 pants.

To correct the problem, I am going to track my calories for a few days, see where I can cut, see where I can add on, and hopefully, I can fix it without panicking. Panicking, for me, is going right back to extreme calorie restriction and long workouts. And having suffered from an eating disorder before, I can tell you that I don't think I ever came all the way back from it. This quote sums it up...

“It's never over. Not really. Not when you stay down there as long as I did, not when you've lived in the netherworld longer than you've lived in this material one, where things are very bright and large and make such strange noises. You never come back, not all the way. Always, there is an odd distance between you and the people you love and the people you meet, a barrier, thin as the glass of a mirror. You never come all the way out of the mirror; you stand, for the rest of your life, with one foot in this world and one in another, where everything is upside down and backward and sad.
                            It is the distance of marred memory, of a twisted and shape-shifting past. When people talk about their childhood, their adolescence, their college days, I laugh along and try not to think: that was when I was throwing up in my elementary school bathroom, that was when I was sleeping with strangers to show off the sharp tips of my bones, that was when I lost sight of my soul and died.
                            And it is the distance of the present, as well - the distance that lies between people in general because of the different lives we have lived. I don't know who I would be, now, if I had not lived the life I have, and so I cannot alter my need for distance - nor can I lessen the low and omnipresent pain that that distance creates. The entirety of my life is overshadowed by one singular and near-fatal obsession.”- Mayra Hornbacher

Comment

The result of tracking:

1. I can cut way back on bagels and other refined grains. Swapped it out with old-fashioned oats cooked with diced apple, chopped walnuts, and dried cranberries.
                              2. Limit the added sugar, except for energy bars, gels, protein bars, and Gatorade. As for cake, cookies, and brownies... go back to once in awhile.
                              3. Re-emphasize water after coffee. Granted, I am starting a new job, and where I work, my water bottle will not be present.
                              4. Re-emphasize 60-120 minutes of purposeful physical activity a day, 5-6 days a week, more on long run/long bike ride days.
                              5. Get some sleep.
                              6. And I cut back to 2,500 calories a day, just to see how that feels. If I feel sluggish during activity, add more.

I can do this without starving myself. And I found something else out; having an eating disorder.. I found I'm addicted to the feeling of being in control. I alone determine my food. I alone determine my workouts. No one puts Bob in a corner. And it's intoxicating. And when it happened the first time, I will tell you that all the compliments about my weight felt so good and I wanted them to keep coming. When those compliments were replaced by concern, I shut people out. I might as well have put my hands over my ears and said "la la la la, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Comment

Bumping this back to the first page.

I started the process of medical weight loss a month ago. This is something through the hospital. Was going to have my followup this morning, but they cancelled. I am more upset that I took the day off for this.

The real struggle is trying to find the balance. When menu planning, I keep telling my husband that there is not enough green in that meal. Need to add green to it. This is what my dietitian keeps saying to me. She was impressed that I make my own meals and make moderately healthy foods. Just not enough veggies.
                                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Working...
                                X