Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Again the with resting thing. I thought spin class might be OK, so I took a couple.. back was a little worse the day or 2 after. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on Monday. My back would be fine if I didn't want to exercise, because it's not that painful. Frustrating.

Comment

I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I vaguely recall something about a distance runner on this site...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/health...commended_pool
        13 marathons later, and I've had no problems with my kidneys. With Charlevoix, Marquette, and Detroit happening later this year, plus the marathon portion of the Michigan Titanium full duathlon... I'll be just fine.

8 days until the Kal-Haven trail run. Getting nervous... 33.5 miles, when I finish, will be the furthest I have ever run.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

That's a good job outta you, Bob!
            I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
              That's a good job outta you, Bob!
              Thank you. The last 6-7 miles... I had to dig as deep as I could.

Here's the medal:
              kalhavenmedal

And here's a fun fact: I burned 8,195 calories yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                Kal-Haven trail run, a 33.5 mile ultra-marathon: Finished in 7:20:09.

I did it. I finished an ultra.
                Congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Congrats!!!
                  Thank you! Now I need to rest and recover. Luckily, between yoga, Pilates, and the bike, that won't be too difficult.

But for now, I'm going to crack open a bottle of Saugatuck Bonfire Brown Ale and celebrate.

Comment

Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      Now going on 6 weeks of rest. During my last chiropractor trip, he didn't do the adjustment on the same side he's done before, so that's a good sign, right? It's felt pretty good for the past 3-4 days. Fingers crossed. I really, really miss exercise.
                      I'd give it a few more days, then go.

And after a week of relaxing and eating, it's time to get up and start training again.

Next big challenges: Michigan Titanium full distance duathlon on August 20, and the Hungerford 50 (second attempt) on September 30.

Comment

For the first time ever, I used the gym at the Hilton I stayed at this past week. Did some cardio on the bike, then hit the weight machines - felt pretty good. Woke up the next morning, and I felt like an 80 year-old man. Moving my upper body was torture.

Comment

I've had a week of doing nothing except eating and recovering from my ultra. Time to start working out again. Not sure if I'll return to running this week, but I do think it's time to get back on the bike, plus do my yoga and Pilates workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Its funny. I know a bunch of people that are exercise nuts. And they think that exercise is everything and diet isn't very important. And I know a bunch of people that are big into diet and don't know if they're lazy, but they don't put much effort into exercise. They think that diet is everything - exercise is something but not that important.

Must.emphasize.both.
                            By the way, 5mn_major, I remember when I trained for my first marathon. People kept telling me "oh, you can eat whatever you want, and you'll just burn it right off." As much as I like softball sized muffins from coffee shops, Nutella, and a few other treats, I know I can't have those things every day. When I worked at Sam's Club, when I saw a "reject cake" sitting in the break room, I let it go, because 1) I didn't plan on it, and two, it was no special occasion.

Furthermore, with all the endurance stuff I do, I know that most of my carbohydrates have to be smart carbohydrates. Mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The reason why I stopped mostly with the bagels is that they're not smart carbs.

And as I start training for the Hungerford 50 and as Michigan Titanium training kicks up, not only will I have to add more protein and healthy fat, I'll have to monitor the carbs to see exactly what I'm eating.

Comment

196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                196.4, BP at 133/94 at 10 PM.

Not the greatest, but things could be a whole lot worse. I can work on this, considering how my weight yo-yo'd in the past month with the flu, and seeing as how I haven't effectively exercised regularly in a few months. Now that the weather has broken and warmed up, I can get outside and get this under control. It's just a matter of sticking with it.
                                That's my biggest impediment. With my indoor soccer season finally over, I can get back to regular exercise. I know it sounds crazy, but playing goalie for an indoor team almost always left me needing a week to recover from the minor injuries or bumps and bruises I would get from soccer. I could start again by around Monday or Tuesday, but I didn't want to show up to soccer still sore from getting back into it again. Team wouldn't like that.

But getting sick is probably the worst thing. It drains your energy, it screws with your respiration, and your routine is thrown off. I'm hoping this gunk is out of my system by Monday when I plan to start up again in earnest.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X