No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlevoix Marathon yesterday. 6:10:xx. But number 14 is in the bag, and my right ankle is really sore.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

But what happened at Charlevoix has made me reconsider my plans for the future. Reached the halfway/turnaround in 2:38:xx. Thinking "great, no more than 5:30:00 and I'll be done." No.. the second half, I just dragged. Felt like there was no power in my legs, any attempt to speed up failed, and when a sheriff's deputy told me it was 12:37 (course closed at 1), I was depressed.
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I am burned out. The weight of such high expectations placed on myself year after year... my running friends have encouraged me to not run anything long next year, but instead to cut back, and focus on other areas of life.

It's hard. Most of my identity is tied to endurance. I wonder if my friends didn't enable this by repeatedly calling me a "machine."

However, I do know that when I didn't race in 2013, I came back in 2014 well-rested and recovered. Maybe that's what I should do in 2018... just step back, rest up, and come back strong the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          I am burned out. The weight of such high expectations placed on myself year after year... my running friends have encouraged me to not run anything long next year, but instead to cut back, and focus on other areas of life.

It's hard. Most of my identity is tied to endurance. I wonder if my friends didn't enable this by repeatedly calling me a "machine."

However, I do know that when I didn't race in 2013, I came back in 2014 well-rested and recovered. Maybe that's what I should do in 2018... just step back, rest up, and come back strong the following year.
          I am no ultra endurance expert by any means, but I do know at times our bodies will need rest. That might not mean you have to go cold turkey, but a year of moderation could be a good thing? I'd go over a plan with your coach / doctor etc etc. You could stay involved by signing up for a few shorter events here and there (5ks, 10ks) and maybe you would see your times on those improve as you do them on a more rested body?

Or maybe mix it up a bit and do a year of yoga or other strength training (crossfit or similar).

Im sure you will find a good course!

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            I am no ultra endurance expert by any means, but I do know at times our bodies will need rest. That might not mean you have to go cold turkey, but a year of moderation could be a good thing? I'd go over a plan with your coach / doctor etc etc. You could stay involved by signing up for a few shorter events here and there (5ks, 10ks) and maybe you would see your times on those improve as you do them on a more rested body?

Or maybe mix it up a bit and do a year of yoga or other strength training (crossfit or similar).

Im sure you will find a good course!
            This is what I thought for now:

1. For this year, finish what I have on the schedule, but don't add any more. I won't even do a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.

2. For next year, if I race at all, no more than 5Ks and 10Ks.

3. Do more yoga and Pilates; I know it helps. Possibly take a self-defense class as well.

4. Live. Go to movies, concerts, hockey games. Eat softball sized muffins from coffee shops. Drink wine with my friends. Volunteer with LGBT groups.

5. Take up baking again, but be more mindful of what I make and when I make it. When I baked in 2011, 12, and 13, I was so preoccupied with knowing that I could that I didn't stop to think if I should.

6. Travel. Go back to NMU for a hockey game. Go to the Twin Cities for the Frozen Four. Go to Chicago and see my friends.

7. Finally, go and find my smile. I lost it.

"We need rest... the spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."- Zapp Branigan
            Last edited by MissThundercat; 07-02-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I've started back into walking/running a course around my house. I had to stop about 18 months ago because of plantar fasciitis got really bad, but I'm now doing it again with what's still a mild set of symptoms. The route is roughly 3.35 miles, and I'd been completing it about 50 minutes. Today I finished it in 45 minutes. I hope to keep reducing that number, running more of the route with my progression until someday I'm able to run the whole thing non-stop. When I stopped last time, I had the timing down to just under 35 minutes. Here's to hoping!
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I remembered to make and pack a sandwich for work today so I didn't go out to fast food.

I've also made the transition from Pepsi and Coke to Polar Selzter.

And my house has ten million stairs.

Here's hoping.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Whatever it was that you ingested at about 8:45 this morning, Kep, I want some.

Comment

I'm running again! And am once again giving up soda and cookies and donuts to go hand in hand with the running.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      I'm running again! And am once again giving up soda and cookies and donuts to go hand in hand with the running.
                      Good for you. Please keep it fun... don't let it become a chore like I did.

This is what I need to do for the rest of the year, burn out or not:

July 8: Lake Michigan Road Trail Sand 10K
                      July 9: Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon (5K run/40K bike/10K run)
                      July 16: Tri Del Sol Olympic Duathlon
                      August 20: Michigan Titanium half duathlon (56 mile bike/13.1 mile run)
                      September 2: Marquette Marathon
                      September 30: Hungerford Marathon
                      October 15: Detroit Free Press Marathon

October 16, I plan on sitting down for a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        Good for you. Please keep it fun... don't let it become a chore like I did.

This is what I need to do for the rest of the year, burn out or not:

July 8: Lake Michigan Road Trail Sand 10K
                        July 9: Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon (5K run/40K bike/10K run)
                        July 16: Tri Del Sol Olympic Duathlon
                        August 20: Michigan Titanium half duathlon (56 mile bike/13.1 mile run)
                        September 2: Marquette Marathon
                        September 30: Hungerford Marathon
                        October 15: Detroit Free Press Marathon

October 16, I plan on sitting down for a bit...
                        If your body is speaking to you, do you think you should consider scratching either the sept 30th or Oct 15th marathon? I'll say again I am no ultra distance expert, but those seem pretty close together for me and might not allow your body to recover between them?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Great... keep it up! I've been trying to essentially eliminate soda completely and replace it with water. I've been pretty good about it and might have one ginger ale a week as a treat here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            If your body is speaking to you, do you think you should consider scratching either the sept 30th or Oct 15th marathon? I'll say again I am no ultra distance expert, but those seem pretty close together for me and might not allow your body to recover between them?
                            I think I'll be okay. Yoga and Pilates helps me recover after these things, and bike riding can be supplemental. Besides, I sank between $250-$300 between those three races, so I want to get my money's worth. Wasting money makes me anxious.

In terms of the burn out, today I did the Lake Michigan Road Trail Sand 10K. It was 1 mile of road, 1.5 miles of trail, another 1.5 miles of sand (including a giant dune that had a steep drop), and back. It was amazing to do a race like that where I had no expectations.

As for the Grand Haven Olympic duathlon, the whole event (tri and du) was cancelled due to a wicked thunderstorm that ripped through the area. The bike course had a fair amount of fallen trees and debris all over it, and they had to cancel, as it wouldn't have been cleared up in time. Privately, with everything that's been happening in my life, I'm glad this race was cancelled, as I was under-prepared and it would have been a suffer-fest.

Comment

I have also asked my friends to stop calling me "a machine" and telling me I can do all the things. That's not support, that's enabling. How different would it have been if someone would have said "hey... slow down and really think about this?"

Comment

So we're more than halfway through the year... how are we doing?

1. Finish the race schedule I have in front of me, including 7 marathons, 2 ultra-marathons, 3 Olympic duathlons (5K run/40K bike/10K run), and the full distance duathlon at Michigan Titanium. That is a 112 mile bike ride, and once I get off the bike, a marathon.
                                -Once burnout became evident, I had to cut way back. I'm doing 3 more marathons and the half-distance duathlon at Michigan Titanium (56 mile bike, half-marathon).

2. Wake up early to get my workouts in. I am looking at 6-7 hour bike rides, "brick" workouts, and long runs (15-31 miles) this year. With an erratic part time work schedule, the only time I might have is at 3-4 AM.
                                -Fail. Working second shift means I can't wake up at 3 AM. But I'm at least doing something before I leave for work.

3. Log 3,000 miles combined between cycling and running. I am looking for 2,000 miles on the bike and 1,000 miles running. After a 6 mile race this morning, I have 2,994 miles to go.
                                -Failing.

4. Commit to cross-training 1-2 days a week. For me, this means yoga and Pilates.
                                -Doing well here.

5. Eat enough to support my efforts. Right now, this means 3,000-3,500 calories a day, 120g-150g protein a day.
                                -With cutting back, I don't even need to eat this much.

6. Do more home cooking. I have Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking, and other traditional cookbooks, plus a CrockPot. USE THEM.
                                Been eating out more than I'd like lately. Thankfully, it's less burgers and fries and more omelettes.

7. Don't even think about losing weight. Having energy to complete my race schedule is far more important.
                                Still not a thought.

8. In terms of pop, limit as much as possible. It's not that I believe pop will kill me, but I did discover that $4.99 + deposit on a 12 pack can be better spent elsewhere.
                                -Doing well with this. Saving much more money, too.

9. In terms of coffee, keep it at 4 cups a day, "hot and black." I am waking up earlier, which means I'm sleeping earlier.
                                -Doing well with this, too.

10. Finally, in terms of diet, stay right where I am. I don't need to go Paleo, do a Whole30, give up gluten or dairy, and I don't need to eat "clean." Clean eating really looks like sadness and deprivation, and is for terrified housewives who can tell me all about what Dr. Oz discussed today.
                                -Still emphasizing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and adequate protein. All I really need to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X