Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Veteran

Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2017: Relentless Forward Progress

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Good for you. Please keep it fun... don't let it become a chore like I did.

This is what I need to do for the rest of the year, burn out or not:

July 8: Lake Michigan Road Trail Sand 10K
    July 9: Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon (5K run/40K bike/10K run)
    July 16: Tri Del Sol Olympic Duathlon
    August 20: Michigan Titanium half duathlon (56 mile bike/13.1 mile run)
    September 2: Marquette Marathon
    September 30: Hungerford Marathon
    October 15: Detroit Free Press Marathon

October 16, I plan on sitting down for a bit...
    If your body is speaking to you, do you think you should consider scratching either the sept 30th or Oct 15th marathon? I'll say again I am no ultra distance expert, but those seem pretty close together for me and might not allow your body to recover between them?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I'm running again! And am once again giving up soda and cookies and donuts to go hand in hand with the running.
    Great... keep it up! I've been trying to essentially eliminate soda completely and replace it with water. I've been pretty good about it and might have one ginger ale a week as a treat here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    If your body is speaking to you, do you think you should consider scratching either the sept 30th or Oct 15th marathon? I'll say again I am no ultra distance expert, but those seem pretty close together for me and might not allow your body to recover between them?
    I think I'll be okay. Yoga and Pilates helps me recover after these things, and bike riding can be supplemental. Besides, I sank between $250-$300 between those three races, so I want to get my money's worth. Wasting money makes me anxious.

In terms of the burn out, today I did the Lake Michigan Road Trail Sand 10K. It was 1 mile of road, 1.5 miles of trail, another 1.5 miles of sand (including a giant dune that had a steep drop), and back. It was amazing to do a race like that where I had no expectations.

As for the Grand Haven Olympic duathlon, the whole event (tri and du) was cancelled due to a wicked thunderstorm that ripped through the area. The bike course had a fair amount of fallen trees and debris all over it, and they had to cancel, as it wouldn't have been cleared up in time. Privately, with everything that's been happening in my life, I'm glad this race was cancelled, as I was under-prepared and it would have been a suffer-fest.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

I have also asked my friends to stop calling me "a machine" and telling me I can do all the things. That's not support, that's enabling. How different would it have been if someone would have said "hey... slow down and really think about this?"
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

So we're more than halfway through the year... how are we doing?

1. Finish the race schedule I have in front of me, including 7 marathons, 2 ultra-marathons, 3 Olympic duathlons (5K run/40K bike/10K run), and the full distance duathlon at Michigan Titanium. That is a 112 mile bike ride, and once I get off the bike, a marathon.
    -Once burnout became evident, I had to cut way back. I'm doing 3 more marathons and the half-distance duathlon at Michigan Titanium (56 mile bike, half-marathon).

2. Wake up early to get my workouts in. I am looking at 6-7 hour bike rides, "brick" workouts, and long runs (15-31 miles) this year. With an erratic part time work schedule, the only time I might have is at 3-4 AM.
    -Fail. Working second shift means I can't wake up at 3 AM. But I'm at least doing something before I leave for work.

3. Log 3,000 miles combined between cycling and running. I am looking for 2,000 miles on the bike and 1,000 miles running. After a 6 mile race this morning, I have 2,994 miles to go.
    -Failing.

4. Commit to cross-training 1-2 days a week. For me, this means yoga and Pilates.
    -Doing well here.

5. Eat enough to support my efforts. Right now, this means 3,000-3,500 calories a day, 120g-150g protein a day.
    -With cutting back, I don't even need to eat this much.

6. Do more home cooking. I have Fannie Farmer and Joy of Cooking, and other traditional cookbooks, plus a CrockPot. USE THEM.
    Been eating out more than I'd like lately. Thankfully, it's less burgers and fries and more omelettes.

7. Don't even think about losing weight. Having energy to complete my race schedule is far more important.
    Still not a thought.

8. In terms of pop, limit as much as possible. It's not that I believe pop will kill me, but I did discover that $4.99 + deposit on a 12 pack can be better spent elsewhere.
    -Doing well with this. Saving much more money, too.

9. In terms of coffee, keep it at 4 cups a day, "hot and black." I am waking up earlier, which means I'm sleeping earlier.
    -Doing well with this, too.

10. Finally, in terms of diet, stay right where I am. I don't need to go Paleo, do a Whole30, give up gluten or dairy, and I don't need to eat "clean." Clean eating really looks like sadness and deprivation, and is for terrified housewives who can tell me all about what Dr. Oz discussed today.
    -Still emphasizing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and adequate protein. All I really need to do.
    ― Franz Kafka

lubba wubba dub dub

I'm down 20-25lbs on the year thus far, depending upon the scale, and I've started running again. Running through the plantar fasciitis because it's not nearly as bad as it had been. It just doesn't seem to have been getting any better for a while now. I'd still like to drop another 20-30lbs, get myself down to a healthier weight. I'll stop losing when I'm comfortable, which will likely be somewhere north of 200lbs, likely around 215. It's tough to gauge because I have too much loose skin from when I was 360lbs back in 2013.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'm down 20-25lbs on the year thus far, depending upon the scale, and I've started running again. Running through the plantar fasciitis because it's not nearly as bad as it had been. It just doesn't seem to have been getting any better for a while now. I'd still like to drop another 20-30lbs, get myself down to a healthier weight. I'll stop losing when I'm comfortable, which will likely be somewhere north of 200lbs, likely around 215. It's tough to gauge because I have too much loose skin from when I was 360lbs back in 2013.
    Seems like you're making progress, and you'll get there.
    ― Franz Kafka

Both of you are doing better than me. Consulting/road life is just an invitation to junk eating. Client ordered in Mexican for lunch yesterday, and while I did OK with fajitas, I caved to using sour cream, and also ate 2 churros (thankfully, no chocolate available).

Been trying to use my hotel gyms this year, and it's a struggle.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Both of you are doing better than me. Consulting/road life is just an invitation to junk eating. Client ordered in Mexican for lunch yesterday, and while I did OK with fajitas, I caved to using sour cream, and also ate 2 churros (thankfully, no chocolate available).

Been trying to use my hotel gyms this year, and it's a struggle.
    While we all have different specific circumstances, we've all been there. I was eating my stress on top of having un-diagnosed OSA, and a bum shoulder. Eventually I had to decide when enough was enough and changed my ways. Then I fell in for a relapse of my old ways, gaining back about 50lbs after having lost 135lbs. Now I'm back to re-lose that weight. Nobody does this perfectly if they haven't made physical fitness their top priority in life. Very few people ever do that.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

While we all have different specific circumstances, we've all been there. I was eating my stress on top of having un-diagnosed OSA, and a bum shoulder. Eventually I had to decide when enough was enough and changed my ways. Then I fell in for a relapse of my old ways, gaining back about 50lbs after having lost 135lbs. Now I'm back to re-lose that weight. Nobody does this perfectly if they haven't made physical fitness their top priority in life. Very few people ever do that.
    Physical fitness is a priority for me, yes, But I've had to learn to be kind and gentle with myself. One thing I've learned is that my eating disorder never really was cured; it just got shoved to the subconscious, where it serves as a how to manual every time the scale says something I don't like.

It upsets me that marathon running has caught up with me and has left me feeling tired. Even if everything WERE awesome right now, I question if I could get up for these races time and again.
    ― Franz Kafka

Well, we know it can be done. But I'd like to see Kipchoge do it when it counts.
    For the record, Kipchoge is going to try again at the Berlin Marathon.
    ― Franz Kafka

Another thing I thought...

I think, in the coming years, I'll take different years and focus on certain things. Like one year, focus on half/25K/full (but cut back the number of races), do nothing but 2-3 ultras one year, take another year and focus on training for the full duathlon at Michigan Titanium, plus do sprint and Olympic duathlon.
    ― Franz Kafka

Physical exercise is my biggest problem at this point. I'm not that massive - (5'10, 210-ish), but I could certainly benefit from losing 30 lbs.

Bob - I have an aunt who is a great runner, and finished the Boston Marathon a few years ago, in the 40-year old category (I think she was late-40s at the time). The point is, you aren't likely to win these events any longer, but you can certainly set expectations according to your age. Gun to be the best in your age bracket, as long as you're fueling yourself properly.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-15-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Physical exercise is my biggest problem at this point. I'm not that massive - (5'10, 210-ish), but I could certainly benefit from losing 30 lbs.

Bob - I have an aunt who is a great runner, and finished the Boston Marathon a few years ago, in the 40-year old category (I think she was late-40s at the time). The point is, you aren't likely to win these events any longer, but you can certainly set expectations according to your age. Gun to be the best in your age bracket, as long as you're fueling yourself properly.
    Usually, Fade, the only way I take home an age group award for one of these things if there's only 1-3 people in my age group. This is what I want as I strive to recover and get back up to speed:

-Sub 4:30:00 marathon
    -Sub 1:45:00 half-marathon
    -Sub 2:30:00 25K
    -Sub 3 hour Olympic duathlon
    -Sub 1:45:00 sprint duathlon
    -Sub 50:00 10K
    -Sub 25:00 5K
    ― Franz Kafka

Usually, Fade, the only way I take home an age group award for one of these things if there's only 1-3 people in my age group. This is what I want as I strive to recover and get back up to speed:

-Sub 4:30:00 marathon
    -Sub 1:45:00 half-marathon
    -Sub 2:30:00 25K
    -Sub 3 hour Olympic duathlon
    -Sub 1:45:00 sprint duathlon
    -Sub 50:00 10K
    -Sub 25:00 5K
    It's good to set goals, but if you don't hit these targets, you should not be beating yourself up over it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

DNF at Tri Del Sol. Got to mile 10 of the bike, and felt sluggish, and my right hip started to hurt. Looked at the sports medicine girls and said I was done.

My heart hurts right now, and I got in my car and sobbed for a good 10 minutes before leaving the site. I am so very close to withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule for the rest of the year and totally giving up.
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran
    DNF at Tri Del Sol. Got to mile 10 of the bike, and felt sluggish, and my right hip started to hurt. Looked at the sports medicine girls and said I was done.

My heart hurts right now, and I got in my car and sobbed for a good 10 minutes before leaving the site. I am so very close to withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule for the rest of the year and totally giving up.
    Tending to an injury so you can keep doing stuff your whole life is not the same as giving up....

Although I know it is frustrating....

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Tending to an injury so you can keep doing stuff your whole life is not the same as giving up....

Although I know it is frustrating....
    The hip feels better; water and coffee helped.

But if "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised," maybe it is time I just step back from the scene for an extended break. Did Not Start for the rest of my race schedule might mean wasted money, but if I'm tired and this isn't fun any more....
    ― Franz Kafka

Things I also know right now:

1. I tied too much of my identity to endurance. The fire is now gone, and I don't know who I am any more.

2. I'm thinking my anemia has returned. Possible explanation for being so sluggish yesterday.

3. Yesterday, after they dropped me back at transition, I started to cry. Cried back to the car, and cried for 10 more minutes in the car. Mentally, I can't handle another DNF.

4. Emotionally, my heart still hurts and will continue to hurt for some time.

5. In terms of withdrawing from the rest of my race schedule, maybe not, but it will depend on how the next couple weeks of training go.

6. And in terms of giving up, maybe not, but it is PAINFULLY clear that I need an extended break.
    ― Franz Kafka

lubba wubba dub dub

87 degrees and as humid as a 30yo vag? Sure, Ill go for a run.

I think I'm mostly done with my quotient of stupid today. All of it combined to add 3 minutes to my time today.

Thread Information