Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    The thing is, it's been the districts that haven't had a ton of focus and resources poured into them that have had these big swings toward the Dems. It's just showing that "libruls at the gate" is a remarkably powerful rallying cry on the right.
    I was thinking something similar but you phrased it bettter
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's an off cycle election so it's not really fair to compare to 2016... but still... $30 million for Ossoff to under perform Rodney Stooksbury numbers by 10 pts. doesn't seem all that exciting.

Of course the ultra-dynamic Karen Handel left around 70k Price votes on the table, too.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        They aren't getting the Senate even if it's a full D wave. There are only 8 R seats up, compared to 25 Dems.
        That's what I'm saying. The senate has Murkowski, Snow, and maybe one or two other Rs that hold their party back from the ledge. I'm afraid the Rspick up a few more seats and negate them.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          It's Georgia. Seriously, people, gain some perspective on this one fact: It's Georgia. Visit the state and you'll assuage yourself of any thought that the Dems were really going to win much down there.
          It isnt about whether it is Georgia or Minnesota...this was a district that barely went to Trump and the Dems made this all about Trump. Moral victories arent good enough when you put this kind of time and money into a seat.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            2 more close defeats, albeit in R +++ seats.

Bodes well for 2018 but no solace for the here and now.
            Sorry I dont buy it bodes well...the Times was trying to play that card and it rings hollow. I dont think the Anti-Trump kick is going to work as well as some of the Libs believe it will.

The Liberals need the ACHA to pass and people to get mad or the House stays Red in 2018 is my guess.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This begs the question, why are Dems wasting money on going for upsets in Republican strongholds, when they should be shoring up their existing districts up for grabs in 2018, and rebuilding for 2020?

Let the AHCA pass and skullfck the rural Trump voters. They've earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                The Liberals need the ACHA to pass and people to get mad or the House stays Red in 2018 is my guess.
                This is probably the kick the GOP needs to pass the AHCA. Ryan will also bring privatizing SS again. He really believes in that.

We could be seeing a realignment, with the white poor moving permanently into the plute column, driven there by Fear of a Black or Muslim or Something Scary Planet. That would leave the middle class and everyone of color against the two white economic tails. A fair match right now, but demographic death for the GOP within a generation.

One thing this could do is cause the Dems to start focusing on the middle class rather than the lower class, assuming the academic conveyor belt that has excreted Dems out into the political class for the last two generations can even conceive of this. There is no longer a "working" class, only a permanently benighted serfdom all but owned by the plutes they worship. They're never coming back to the left, as there will be no revival of a "labor" movement as physical labor devolves upon machinery -- a morally acceptable slave caste.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-20-2017, 11:09 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Sorry I dont buy it bodes well...the Times was trying to play that card and it rings hollow. I dont think the Anti-Trump kick is going to work as well as some of the Libs believe it will.

I agree. Ossoff losing in of itself isn't surprising the grand scheme of things but he lost to 1) a crappy opponent, 2) lost ground in the runoff vs the 1st round which is somewhat inexplicable, and 3) as of right now lost by 5 times as much as Clinton did in the 2016 election. Too much is being made of "oh, Dems narrowed the % vs the last congressional election" which is a nonsensical comparison if the previous election had a long time incumbent running. Open seats are where 8you make up ground if you're in the minority. Ossoff ran a good campaign by all accounts I've read. It seems to me once again, Republicans showed up when the seat looked to be on the line, and Dems didn't. I base that on Handel getting 53% of the vote to Trump's 48%.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    This begs the question, why are Dems wasting money on going for upsets in Republican strongholds, when they should be shoring up their existing districts up for grabs in 2018, and rebuilding for 2020?

They aren't wasting their money. Political donations are about momentum. The better you show, the more you pull in the next cycle.

This has been weird because both sides have maximal donation prospects in 2018. The Dems are close to taking the House and permanently hobbling Trump. The GOP is close to their dream of destroying not just the Great Society but the New Deal, and forcing America back into the clutches of a predatory oligarchy with zero moral restraint or intellectual imagination.

Every competitive district in 2018 is going to look like GA-5,with spending going insane. But again, with the degeneration of our democracy into a pure bribery marketplace, the money available is effectively infinite. We just had a $100M House race. In 2018 we will have ten of them, and god knows what the Senate races will be like.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 06-20-2017, 11:19 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

They're never coming back to the left, as there will be no revival of a "labor" movement as physical labor devolves upon machinery
                      I never even thought about it like that. This should be sent to every Democrat in both houses.
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        This is probably the kick the GOP needs to pass the AHCA. Ryan will also bring privatizing SS again. He really believes in that.

We could be seeing a realignment, with the white poor moving permanently into the plute column, driven there by Fear of a Black or Muslim or Something Scary Planet. That would leave the middle class and everyone of color against the two white economic tails. A fair match right now, but demographic death for the GOP within a generation.

One thing this could do is cause the Dems to start focusing on the middle class rather than the lower class, assuming the academic conveyor belt that has excreted Dems out into the political class for the last two generations can even conceive of this. There is no longer a "working" class, only a permanently benighted serfdom all but owned by the plutes they worship. They're never coming back to the left, as there will be no revival of a "labor" movement as physical labor devolves upon machinery -- a morally acceptable slave caste.
                        Kep

What Middle Class? We're being squeezed into oblivion by flat wages and rising costs. The oligarchs want us to be poor so they can have sheep schlepping at whatever they put in the troth.

Your academic conveyor belt is turning out the wrong product. This current group is weak and needs to be made of stronger stuff.

The system needs to go. It will be ugly and violent to get there, but either we win or the oligarchs do. I shudder at the latter.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Well Joe, I'll be honest. You can believe in that or you can continue to vote for republicans.

They sold their souls to the golden calf and the bucket-o-dubloons long, long ago.
                          Code:

Comment

We just had a $100M House race. In 2018 we will have ten of them, and god knows what the Senate races will be like.
                            Where is the Dems share of that money coming from? I'd guess the same place the Repubs share is coming from. I see no saints here
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Ding ding ding.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Kep

What Middle Class? We're being squeezed into oblivion by flat wages and rising costs.
                                Correct.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X