Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress. In Bridge, Can Hearts be Trumped? In Spades!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    "The bill repeals a specified rule that established certain nutrition standards for the national school lunch and breakfast programs. (In general, the rule requires schools to increase the availability of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat or fat free milk in school meals; reduce the levels of sodium, saturated fat, and trans fat in school meals; and meet children's nutritional needs within their caloric requirements.)"

So not only will our kids be dumber, they will fatter and unhealthier too. But hey that will only disproportionately attack the broker school districts...cant see why that would be a problem. Those durn kids dont deserve to eat healthy anyways. They should tighten up their bootstraps and get a job or something!

This bill, and this idea, is so bad it is almost as horrible as electing the Czar Urea.

Kepler Lesson C is coming...there is no way this doesnt pass unless every Congressmen holds a townhall and gets destroyed.
    The big complaints coming from Republicans after the nutritional guidelines were passed during Pres. Obama's time in office were that they increased the cost of meals for the schools and students' families, and that a number of students were disposing of their meals without eating much of anything on their plates because they simply didn't taste good.

I have no idea about the taste factor (though personal history tells me that schools didn't do well before this change), but it's easy to see the cost factor associated with requiring healthier lunches in the schools. People often complain that the cheapest ingredients can be found in fast food restaurants, and that's more or less what my schools were serving when I was that age - and they failed to meet McD's high standards.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The big complaints coming from Republicans after the nutritional guidelines were passed during Pres. Obama's time in office were that they increased the cost of meals for the schools and students' families, and that a number of students were disposing of their meals without eating much of anything on their plates because they simply didn't taste good.

I have no idea about the taste factor (though personal history tells me that schools didn't do well before this change), but it's easy to see the cost factor associated with requiring healthier lunches in the schools. People often complain that the cheapest ingredients can be found in fast food restaurants, and that's more or less what my schools were serving when I was that age - and they failed to meet McD's high standards.
      The difference in cost is nominal and is not any sort of real factor in the budgets of schools even in financially strapped districts. The cost is a complete red herring.

Much like cutting the Arts...changes like this are all for show (see saving money!!) but if you actually dig into the numbers they have zero to do with the actual budgetary problems.

(my gf teaches in a district that is having budget issues, she knows people at the top of the union and the school board...this isnt even the stuff they discuss when they are trying to solve their budget issues it is a huge nothingburger)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Kids were probably throwing them out because god forbid they eat a vegetable once in their life.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Thoughts on finding a new chair for the DNC?

Ellison spoke well on why Trump won (remember, he called it early). Saying he won because he talked about jobs, infrastructure, free trade, etc. and that those are issues democrats used to win on and need to reclaim. Got hammered on 2nd amendment stuff. He's denying anti-gun quotes that it looks like he said (post debate fact-check, I guess). I did not like his closing argument. Basically, "Pick me because I raise a lot of money." Not the message I want to get behind.

The South Bend mayor guy made some good points.

What about Samuel Ronan? He's an outsider and seems to have his sh*t together. Said the primary system was rigged against Sanders and that the democratic party is outdated because there are many more independents now than before and the Dems excluded them from the process. Spoke very strongly about getting money out of politics, although good luck with that.

Comment

The Dems need to re-remember that all politics is local. Under DWS, the focus seemed to be on the White House and single issue politics. As a result, they got out generaled by the GOP at the local level and are losing the source of the DC replacement pool.

We need 2 strong parties at all levels to keep things near the center. Without a vibrant GOP, California has gone nuts. Without a strong Democrat party, several Midwestern states are going off the rails in the opposite direction.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Boehner trolls the "REPEAL!1!!!" crowd

Even in retirement, the hardcore conservatives are furious with him, natch.

Comment

Dip**** R Congressman from Texas: "I can't meet with the public because Gabby Giffords!"

Gabby Giffords: "I got shot on Saturday morning. My office was open to the public on Monday morning."
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Dip**** R Congressman from Texas: "I can't meet with the public because Gabby Giffords!"
                  In lieu of the censored word, think "coward" was what you were looking for.

But he's definitely a dipsheet too.

Comment

• Originally posted by maizerage View Post
                    dip**** r congressman from texas: "i can't meet with the public because gabby giffords!"

gabby giffords: "i got shot on saturday morning. My office was open to the public on monday morning."
                    r=*******
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Boehner trolls the "REPEAL!1!!!" crowd

Even in retirement, the hardcore conservatives are furious with him, natch.
                      He's probably right. The Republicans are never going to agree on a replace, because they ran for 7 years on a repeal and actually have to replace now or infuriate people.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        In lieu of the censored word, think "coward" was what you were looking for.
                        I saved 'coward' for lil Marco running away from a constituent in a Florida hotel after lying about being in Europe to avoid a town hall.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Mitch McConnell: 'Winners make policy, losers go home'

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...losers-go-home

"They don't much like what I'm doing. They don't share my agenda. But I respect their right to be there and to express themselves, because that's what we do in this country," he continued.
                          Oh. Here I thought my elected representative was there to represent me, not drive his own personal agenda. My mistake.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Oh. Here I thought my elected representative was there to represent me, not drive his own personal agenda. My mistake.
                            There's a pretty strong debate as to what an elected official's role actually is within government when you get into political science courses. Is that elected person there to lead the people of his/her district or take direction from them? Perhaps it's a combination of both, and the tone can be set based upon how that person runs for office.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              There's a pretty strong debate as to what an elected official's role actually is within government when you get into political science courses. Is that elected person there to lead the people of his/her district or take direction from them? Perhaps it's a combination of both, and the tone can be set based upon how that person runs for office.
                              Yep, that's a very common Poli Sci 101 debate. There is no correct answer, each approach has pros and cons.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Kentucky keeps electing him. He's delivering for them. They want coal jobs and poisonous water. He delivers.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X