This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Top recruiters Steve Greeley, Ben Barr, Albie O'Connell, Jerry Keefe, Billy Riga and Mike Cavanagh (and nod to Brian McCloskey back in the day) have little personal pro experience. There are lots of other bases on which to evaluate them, particularly where Verrier's quote was not about their own pro credentials, but rather how they get players to the next level. Verrier is having a nice season, and that Souza spotted him early is a nice complement. Depending on the scholarship, he may represent good value.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Top recruiters Steve Greeley, Ben Barr, Albie O'Connell, Jerry Keefe, Billy Riga and Mike Cavanagh (and nod to Brian McCloskey back in the day) have little personal pro experience ...
      At least one of these "top" guys seems to have lost his touch since he left the orbit of a more powerful boss/setting.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        At least one of these "top" guys seems to have lost his touch since he left the orbit of a more powerful boss/setting.
        But the boss has not won a title since he left. In Tampa I had the opportunity to talk to a legendary college coach. I asked him if losing your top assistant/recruiter can make a difference. His answer was "absolutely". I specifically asked about BC by the way.
        Last edited by scoreboard; 12-02-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          But the boss has not won a title since he left. In Tampa I had the opportunity to talk to a legendary college coach. I asked him if losing your top assistant/recruiter can make a difference. His answer was "absolutely". I specifically asked about BC by the way.
          I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Luce cites his former boss' lack of D-1 trophy wins since his move to UConn to pretty much each and every recruit he badgers harangues pontificates to tries to persuade to come to Storrs. You know, making himself out to be the "Belichick" to York's "Parcells", right?

Of course, Luce's "Belichick" is the Cleveland mistake-by-the-lake version, as can be seen by the rapid ascent and rise through the ranks utter stagnation and lack of progress at UConn during his reign.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

2018 Commit Angus Crookshank has made the Team Canada West roster for the World Junior A Challenge which begins Dec 10 in Nova Scotia:
            https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/ne...-rosters-named
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• An elite '03 commits!!!

...to the UNH women's team.

https://twitter.com/chrisdilks/status/938418492583247872
              Last edited by Dan; 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond Updated Recruit tally
                School 00 01 02 03 total 2000s total recruits
                NU 4 5 5 0 13 26
                PC 3 2 3 0 8 22
                BC 5 8 4 1 18 21
                Maine 3 5 0 0 8 20
                U.Conn 4 5 0 0 9 19
                UVM 3 5 2 0 10 19
                BU 4 7 4 0 15 18
                Mass 3 1 0 0 4 14
                Lowell 1 1 0 0 2 14
                Merrimack 3 2 0 0 5 12
                UNH 2 0 0 0 2 11
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• https://twitter.com/mbilotta/status/943558382316871681

Still no 00s, but a late-blooming '99 D...
                  Last edited by Dan; 12-20-2017, 02:00 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    https://twitter.com/mbilotta/status/943558382316871681

Apparently (maybe?) slipped one past us all. Still no 00s...
                    Nolan McElhaney, Cushing Academy, was named MVP of recent Lawrence-Groton tourney...yes another Dman!!!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=445242

Jeff Cox had listed him as a top prep player in a 2015 article maybe he can shed more light?
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-20-2017, 02:18 PM.
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I wrote about McElhaney after Groton/Lawrence Tournament:

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1267531
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Trivia for Snively65 what do Michael McNicholas and Dalton Speelman have in common with our newest recruit, Nolan McElhaney? Speaking of the latter we will see this player most likely in a couple? He's not coming in next season like a Maas or Gildon?
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Trivia for Snively65 what do Michael McNicholas and Dalton Speelman have in common with our newest recruit, Nolan McElhaney? Speaking of the latter we will see this player most likely in a couple? He's not coming in next season like a Maas or Gildon?
                          Or, a related trivia question, what does Nolan have in common with Garrett Stafford? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Or, a related trivia question, what does Nolan have in common with Garrett Stafford? :-)
                            He's going to be academically ineligible for the first semester of his senior year?
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              He's going to be academically ineligible for the first semester of his senior year?
                              LOL!

What a screw up that was! Summer school course in California = no credit?. Much worse than the Joe C. senior semester off.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                LOL!

What a screw up that was! Summer school course in California = no credit?. Much worse than the Joe C. senior semester off.
                                No way, Felger and ATW, if we are to believe what we heard at the time, that Joe C. simply stopped attending classes fall semester his senior year. In contrast, UNH advising gacked up a massive hairball in not making sure that Garrett's summer course in California satisfied his gen ed requirements. Cannot blame admissions on this one; all on advising and the athletic department, I think.

But, the only point in my follow up trivia question was that the new recruit and Garrett Stafford are both D-men, rather than forwards, who grew up in the Div 1 hockey recruit hotbed of California. I did not intend to flame Stafford for his unacceptable summer course, but I still think that we need to recruit some forwards from Finland.
                                Last edited by Snively65; 12-21-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X