X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Let me equivocate mildly. Recruiting has obviously changed dramatically in the past 30 years, and with it the footprint of recruiting has changed. Apart from Maine and BU, there was no recruiting in the USHL and Western Canada, and no national program. So the concept of a "national scene" is pretty fictional.

With that caveat, Kullen had been recruiting UNH's footprint of Ontario and Quebec with decent success for nine years (multiple NCAA appearances from 1977 to 1983), and he had a further 3 or so years on the Mass scene as coach of Lawrence Academy. As an assistant he got decent Matignon kids David Lee, Ralph Robinson, George White, Steve Lyons, Mike Golden (2d round pick in 1983), Steve Leach (top Mass pick in Mass in 84), Peter Douris (top Toronto midget pick), So, even if one says he was not a national name, he had a proven resume of success. Those are the very locations he accessed quickly when he took over.

Having volleyed that back to you, let me ask you what you would commend about Mike Souza's resume?
    Since I'm most familiar with Coach Souza since he came to UNH (late summer 2015), I will comment on that time frame. Also, it's important to remind everyone that Coach Stewart has also been very active on the recruiting trail and deserves credit for accomplishments in that arena.

I think Coach Souza has had two primary accomplishments in recruiting at UNH so far. First, the play of Wyse and commitments of Gildon, Maass, and Miller should address the obvious weaknesses in the defensive end. Second, a few players with high-end potential (Commesso, Gildon, and Maass) have embraced Coach Souza's recruiting "pitch", which he articulated in my interview with him last summer (http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...ead-coach.html) - that is, pride in the historical accomplishments of the program and being driven to return to the national stage and win a National Championship. All three have articulated their buy-in to these goals in various articles and interviews.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 08-13-2017, 12:00 PM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      Gildon, Maass, and Commesso stated that this is one of the reasons they chose to commit to Souza and UNH.
      On the surface this leaves an exponentially larger group of blue chip kids who clearly didn't buy in to that sales pitch (assuming they were even asked). A deeper look at this statement would raise the question of whether or not Maass is a blue chip, 'super recruit' (he's a nice player, but the answer is no - he's a late blooming, still played HS at 18, with notable potential kind of kid). It would also reveal that Gildon only bought into Souza's 'sales pitch' after being recruited over, dumped by WI and finding scholarship money for 17-18 was very scarce...

Commesso remains the only elite level, high-end, must have recruit Souza has landed on time, in what has become NCAA hockey's recruiting schedule for better or worse...

I certainly wouldn't view a 1-for-? as evidence Souzas vision for UNHs future is paying dividends...

---

Now, good for Souza to identify a late bloomer and grab a back on the market blue chipper. Doing so in the future will pay dividends if they join recruiting classes that have succeeded in early recruiting. Adding them to future classes with just a bunch of guys, will leave you with teams like the last few...

Kelleher! Poturalski! Pesce! #openingroundontheroad
      Last edited by Dan; 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

I guess if we're counting votes, do Farabee, Ryczek and O'Neill get votes, too?

My frustration stems from the fact that we are in year three of this purgatory. We have essentially lost three years of recruiting -- 2015, 2016 and 2017, and lack any accountability. Where we got late commits Gildon and Maass, they have "bought in" on Souza. If we fail to get promising youngsters (or have lost ones already committed), there's a built in excuse that its because Souza is not yet the HC.

At a certain point, taking a novice swimmer (Souza) and then tying a weight around his ankle for 3 years while he learns to swim, may not have been the best strategy. Getting excited when he periodically bobs his head above the water, without applying any broader context for the extended periods below water, and the fact that the others in the pool are doing laps, is not my nature.

It's also not fair to blame Souza, but rather Blue Skies and Captain Dick who thought of this verkackte scheme to see if Souza can sink or swim, rather than simply waiting for three years and then picking a good swimmer. But then again, tactical thinking has never been Dick's strength, he's stubborn and selfish, and the supposed adult in the room, Blue Skies, lacks a spine.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

At a certain point, taking a novice swimmer (Souza) and then tying a weight around his ankle for 3 years while he learns to swim, may not have been the best strategy. Getting excited when he periodically bobs his head above the water, without applying any broader context for the extended periods below water, and the fact that the others in the pool are doing laps, is not my nature.

It's also not fair to blame Souza, but rather Blue Skies and Captain Dick who thought of this verkackte scheme to see if Souza can sink or swim, rather than simply waiting for three years and then picking a good swimmer. But then again, tactical thinking has never been Dick's strength ... and the supposed adult in the room, Blue Skies, lacks a spine.
          Bingo
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

May be nothing, but

As of July 19, 2017
              Drew Commesso on Twitter: "Thank you to everyone at @usahockey ...
              https://twitter.com/commesso29/statu...18700807692288
              Jul 19, 2017 - @commesso29. St. Sebastian's - trained by @masscrease - Committed to UNH Wildcats. 1st one on the ice & last 1 off the ice. Joined April ...
              now
              Drew Commesso
              @commesso29
              St. Sebastian's - trained by @masscrease. 1st one on the ice & last 1 off the ice. Joined April....
              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-20-2017, 10:48 AM.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

May be nothing, but @Commesso29 used to list "committed to UNH Wildcats" in profile. Not there now.

Drew Commesso on Twitter: "Honored to announce my ...
                Twitter › commesso29 › status
                @commesso29. St. Sebastian's - trained by @masscrease - Committed to UNH Wildcats. Joined April 2016
                That would be a big blow but I wouldnt be shocked either granted the current state of the UNH program and the lack of progress (Trending towards total rebuild mode, Big time goalie coach left to go to NHL, no other blue chip commits as of late)....hopefully its nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  That would be a big blow but I wouldnt be shocked either granted the current state of the UNH program and the lack of progress (Trending towards total rebuild mode, Big time goalie coach left to go to NHL, no other blue chip commits as of late)....hopefully its nothing.
                  Well I was having a fun vacation....🙄
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Commesso remains the only elite level, high-end, must have recruit Souza has landed on time, in what has become NCAA hockey's recruiting schedule for better or worse...
                    And then there were none

https://twitter.com/JeffCoxSports/st...65362284670976

BU, probably because BC has Knight.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-22-2017, 09:33 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

And then there were none

Sigh. Just so disappointing, if indeed this is true. Hey I realize this stuff happens and what's ever best for the athlete, is best for the athlete and this isn't about him. When will the 'Cats get a break?
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Name a HE team whose recruits you would not trade for our remaining batch? Maybe Merrimack?
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Sigh. Just so disappointing, if indeed this is true. Hey I realize this stuff happens and what's ever best for the athlete, is best for the athlete and this isn't about him. When will the 'Cats get a break?
                          When they go into full rebuild mode when Souza takes over thats when. I think its going to be a while before UNH is back where they belong....if you want to compete with the BU/BC of the world you need to be AGGRESSIVE with recruiting. They are losing on that front. If they are going to wait and go the older kid route like UMass Lowell then go that way. Right now they arent getting the young studs and they arent getting the late bloomers. They are stuck in the middle and thats not where you want to be. Look at Umass Amherst and the job Carvel is doing - rebuilding with a top 3 recruiting class yet the team will still stink this year again but they are trending upwards. Where is UNH trending? It takes a while to instill a coaches vision and get the players they want....we are talking years and years and UNH program needs a massive shakeup and hopefully Souza is that change but having a great campus isnt enough nowadays to attract the best recruits you need to win too.

Comment

And then there were none

Landed big recruit....then one of the best goalie coaches in the country leaves for NHL (which was probably the #1 reason why a goalie chooses a school since it so specialized)....then they add no recruits = losing big recruit. No brainer. If youre a young kid right now where are you going to pick if you dream of playing professional hockey one day BU/BC or UNH? No brainer right now. Not even in the same stratosphere.
                            Last edited by Lemonade; 08-23-2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I don't think it's as big of a loss as you guys think. Programs like UNH and Maine need the good three and four year guys versus the great one year guy. I'm sure it's frustrating, but to get back to the days when you get thrashed in the frozen four it will take a different type of player than this kid.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I don't see the Buckley connection, so doubt that was a reason. His advisor/coach was Brian Eklund.
                                Hard not to recognize kids voting with their skates: Foegele, Farabee, Ryczek, and now a kid who was briefly convinced to see a path forward. When you factor in that a new hire typcially has a brief window of high favorables in which to sell his vision and generate momentum, before reality of performance becomes the pre-eminent evaluation, that window now seems closed. I failed to see the track record of team building that might have led to a groundswell of interest by recruits in the first place, the "gee wiz, look at our history and how great Dick Umile is, and what a nice family we are" interviews didn't fill me with greater expectation, and it appears I am not alone. We talked about how important it was to get a "bell-cow" recruit to grab the market's attention, but after the bell-cow sat in the field all alone for 8 months, no wonder it wandered off.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-23-2017, 07:41 AM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X