X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    It would be awesome to have someone like Mike B behind the bench; but whomever it is, will be...they need to be strong in defensive coaching (which I imagine he would be?) and...be a cracker jack recruiter. I imagine Mike Souza has pondered who will fill his vacancy already; that selection is going to be HUGE going forward. UNH can't afford to "miss" this time around. (am not implying they have, mind you...but you get what I mean.)
    Makes a lot of sense to me.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      Dave Lassonde was and is an extremely well-regarded goalie coach. So is Mike Buckley. As I said, UNH would be fortunate to have a full-time coach of Buckley's caliber.
      It was thinking exactly what Dan noted. There is a big difference between David Lassonde full time and Mike Buckley as a volunteer that really needs to focus and the folks paying the bills. I am not taking a shot at Buckley's skills. Clearly he is very talented and it is admirable that he volunteers, clearly his craft is his joy... enviable.

Lassonde's last year in Durham was 2010-2011. Tirone committed to UNH on 3/23/2013 (love Heisenberg lists...) so clearly wasn't a Lassonde recruit. Who knows if Tirone would be in Durham if Lassonde was, or be much better if Lassonde was still with UNH.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        It was thinking exactly what Dan noted. There is a big difference between David Lassonde full time and Mike Buckley as a volunteer that really needs to focus and the folks paying the bills. I am not taking a shot at Buckley's skills. Clearly he is very talented and it is admirable that he volunteers, clearly his craft is his joy... enviable.

Lassonde's last year in Durham was 2010-2011. Tirone committed to UNH on 3/23/2013 (love Heisenberg lists...) so clearly wasn't a Lassonde recruit. Who knows if Tirone would be in Durham if Lassonde was, or be much better if Lassonde was still with UNH.
        When Tirone committed in early 2013, he had already developed a working relationship with Coach Buckley (He had also just been named "Prep School Player of the Year" by US Hockey Report):

"Please describe your training experiences at the Goalie Development Services (GDS). Which goalie instructor(s) do you currently work with?

Tirone: I have trained with GDS since the summer of 2010. The whole time I have been training with the founder of GDS, Mike Buckley. I work with Mike three times a week in the summer and numerous times throughout the season.
        Since I started training with Mike, I have seen all areas of my game improve. Mike has helped me not only increase my physical game on the ice by making me more efficient and technically sound, but he has also helped me reach new levels when it comes to my focus and mental approach to the game."
        - From http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...ny-tirone.html

Comment

When Tirone committed in early 2013, he had already developed a working relationship with Coach Buckley (He had also just been named "Prep School Player of the Year" by US Hockey Report
          Prep School to D1 can be a big jump. I compare Tirone style and fundamentals to those of the goalies between Conklin and Foster. He doesn't fit the mold of what a UNH goalie looked like. Between the glove hand and the constant scrambling I can't see how he fits. Maybe some of that is regressing. His Freshman year he regularly ended up back to the play that is getting better. The successful style of goalie at all levels is big, square, calm, plays angles and position... That doesn't describe Tirone.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Thanks for the laugh Chuck! Tongue in cheek (14 wins before Xmas)and I hope we fill the Whit more frequently. Send me a note anytime you need a ticket as you might bring Coach luck for 21+ wins and NCAA championships. It will be great to hear you singing Umile's and Tirone's praises. We have defense now and more on the way next year. We have money for top recruits next year with 7-8 leaving and the focus will be on offensive players and a goalie. Krog was on second line most of his career (other than pp) and we had balanced lines. It might be Grasso on the first line but Kelleher is an assist guy with scoring potential and Blackburn has pedigree and actually wins faceoffs sometimes. The PP will be similar to last year's best offensive players on the ice. I do not know if they will use two defensemen but Wyse and Gildon have offensive and defensive skills. I hope to see you at the rink and spending less time on USCHO and it should be all good. Enjoy the summer and maybe you will go to the banquet next Saturday. If so, we will see you there.

Comment

Tirone has always struck me as DiGi lite.
              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Neutral Zone scouting report (from 2016 USA Selects 16 Camp) on UNH's newest commit Conner Sweeney (5/5/2000, 6'2", 185 lbs. left-shot forward):

"Connor Sweeney (L, Pingree School, Gray #10) Sweeney led his high school team, Pingree, in points as a ’00 this past season. He is a fluid skater who can carry the puck well and make plays off the rush. The son of former NHLer Bob Sweeney, who currently heads the Boston Bruins Foundation, has great upside, size and skating ability, but will need to grow into his frame and get more involved offensively. He was too perimeter here and wasn’t able to create many scoring chances in zone. An athletic, fluid skater with size and major upside. He was drafted by Muskegon in the seventh round of the USHL Futures Draft and is undecided about his plans next season. Uncommitted."

Sweeney scored 31 goals and 12 assists in 29 games for the Pingree School this past season (2016-17). He tied for most goals in the New England Prep Hockey.
                Last edited by C-H-C; 04-13-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Neutral Zone scouting report (from 2016 USA Selects 16 Camp) on UNH's newest commit Conner Sweeney (5/5/2000, 6'2", 185 lbs. left-shot forward):

"Connor Sweeney (L, Pingree School, Gray #10) Sweeney led his high school team, Pingree, in points as a ’00 this past season. He is a fluid skater who can carry the puck well and make plays off the rush. The son of former NHLer Bob Sweeney, who currently heads the Boston Bruins Foundation, has great upside, size and skating ability, but will need to grow into his frame and get more involved offensively. He was too perimeter here and wasn’t able to create many scoring chances in zone. An athletic, fluid skater with size and major upside. He was drafted by Muskegon in the seventh round of the USHL Futures Draft and is undecided about his plans next season. Uncommitted."

Sweeney scored 31 goals and 12 assists in 29 games for the Pingree School this past season. He tied for most goals in the New England Prep Hockey.
                  From twitter:

Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                  '00 Connor Sweeney (Pingree) commits to UNH. Great get for the Wildcats. Explosive stride, heavy shot, game has really taken off last year.

Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                  Sweeney will be at Lawrence Academy in Fall. Son of Bob Sweeney. He's a big time get for UNH staff. He and Marek Wazny are very good '00s.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    From twitter:

Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                    '00 Connor Sweeney (Pingree) commits to UNH. Great get for the Wildcats. Explosive stride, heavy shot, game has really taken off last year.

Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                    Sweeney will be at Lawrence Academy in Fall. Son of Bob Sweeney. He's a big time get for UNH staff. He and Marek Wazny are very good '00s.
                    Woot!! Welcome to the'Cats!!! Very cool news!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post

Sweeney scored 31 goals and 12 assists in 29 games for the Pingree School this past season (2016-17). He tied for most goals in the New England Prep Hockey.
                      I just got a warm and fuzzy reading this. I have a pic of my daughter and Dad Sweeney in the Bruins suite at the Garden! Very cool!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Sweeney was my #3 uncommitted 2000 in NE Prep hockey from a post a few months ago...

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...t-mccoy-gorman
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          I just got a warm and fuzzy reading this. I have a pic of my daughter and Dad Sweeney in the Bruins suite at the Garden! Very cool!
                          I'd say Mr. Souza is racking 'em up wouldn't you? A very good get indeed...building his own Bruins org in Durham....!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            I'd say Mr. Souza is racking 'em up wouldn't you? A very good get indeed...building his own Bruins org in Durham....!
                            I would! Very nice get for MS!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

News on the recruiting front continues to appear very encouraging.

Would Sweeney be arriving in Fall '18 or Fall '19?
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Hmmm, I didn't realize the objective was a collection of marginally skilled goons.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X