X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    Could mean Benton Maass's (Pronounced: Mass) NHL draft prospects on the rise. Was 158th North American skater in Midterm Rankings (Corson Green at 149, Max Gildon at 76):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...year=2017&pg=4
    NHL Central Scouting Service Final Rankings just released. Among North American Skaters:

Max Gildon - #54
    Benton Maass - #159
    Corson Green - Not Listed

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/as...-file/file.pdf
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Sr.Salvaggio--Sr.McNicholas---Jr.Vela
      Sr.Eiserman---So.Blackburn----So.Grasso
      So.BVR--------Jr.Nazarian-----Fr.C.Kelleher
      Sr.C.Miller---So.Fregona------Fr.MacAdams
      Fr.Cipollone--Jr.Cefalu-------So.Sacco
      Fr.Sato

Sr.Marks-----So.Wyse
      Fr.Maass-----Fr.Gildon
      Sr.Chanter---Jr.Dawson
      Fr.J.Miller----Fr.Darcy
      Sr.Boyd???----So.Nonis

Sr.Tirone---Sr.Clark---Fr.Robinson

Sr.Nazarian---Jr.Blackburn----Jr.Grasso
      Fr.________---Fr.Crookshank---Sr.Vela
      Jr.BVR--------So.C.Kelleher---Jr.Fregona
      Fr.Esposito---Sr.C.Miller-----So.MacAdams
      So.Cipollone--Sr.Cefalu-------Jr.Sacco
      So.Sato

Jr.Wyse------So.Gildon
      So.Maass-----So.J.Miller
      Sr.Dawson----Fr.Green
      So.Darcy----Jr.Nonis
      Fr.Verrier or Bahn

So.Robinson---Fr.________

So._________--So.Crookshank---Jr.C.Kelleher
      Fr.Wazny------Sr.Blackburn----Sr.Grasso
      Sr.BVR--------Sr.Fregona------Jr.MacAdams
      So.Esposito---Fr.________-----Fr.________
      Jr.Cipollone--Jr.Sato-------Sr.Sacco

Jr.Gildon----Sr.Wyse
      Jr.Maass----Jr.J.Miller
      So.Green----Fr.Bahn
      Jr.Darcy----Sr.Nonis
      Fr.Verrier---

Jr.Robinson---So._________
      Watcher

UNH has a problem with too many left handed defensemen.

Both Wyse and Gildon are lefties so it would be unlikely they would play together. I messed up earlier.

I think Marks (presuming he is healed) and Gildon will be first pairing and Wyse and Maass will be second pairing. Chanter is right handed and he will play with one of the remaining 5 lefties (Miller, Darcy, Dawson, Boyd, Nonis)

I believe they will break up last year's first line.

Sally Blackburn and Kelleher on first line (not power play) ( I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay)
      Eiserman, Vela and Grasso second line
      Nazarian, McNicholas, Fregona third line (we will have as much firepower on first three lines than any UNH team over the past 4-5 years. Northeastern and UMass put there best player on third line for a few years)
      BVR, Miller and MacAdams will probably be fourth line.

Tirone will be the number 1 goalie and those who were not at every game can be naysayers but he probably had more 35+ save games than any other goalie in hockey east. If all of the posters are as good at what they do as Tirone is as a goalie, you are very good at what you do and congratulations. He is an elite goalie and the last Lowell game was pretty bad. Tirone had a lot of 2 and 3 star games this year at home and away and there were not many goalies earning 2 or 3 stars at UNH games this year not named Tirone. I hope he has a great senior year. There are 6-8 leaving next year as graduating seniors and that will open up recruiting opportunities without being a Carvel at UMass. He should have told them all to leave last year when they would not lose eligibility and he kept them which forces them to go back to juniors or play D-3 (He could have offered D-3 players one year until his guys came in). College hockey is not a business as very few teams fund athletics through ticket sales. I know most of you like the idea of cutting players as every athlete gets a renewal every year but it is an unwritten rule that the school recruited them and should honor the two way commitment. Shedding that many players does not set ethical standards for the school or for student athletes. He is not a CEO of a publicly traded company. Have a great summer Watcher and give Umile a break this year as it is his last and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2017-18 year. I cannot wait to see the schedule and hope we have a tougher schedule this year as I know there are 3 game schedules for 4 opponents this year and we are going to Hanover at Xmas. Enjoy the golf course and I hope the naysayers take a deep breath and bring the hate on around Thanksgiving if we are awful. I hope to see you all at the Whit in November/December when Coach Umile gets his 600th win.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
        Watcher

UNH has a problem with too many left handed defensemen.

Both Wyse and Gildon are lefties so it would be unlikely they would play together. I messed up earlier.

I think Marks (presuming he is healed) and Gildon will be first pairing and Wyse and Maass will be second pairing. Chanter is right handed and he will play with one of the remaining 5 lefties (Miller, Darcy, Dawson, Boyd, Nonis)

Sally Blackburn and Kelleher on first line (not power play) ( I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay)
        Nazarian, McNicholas, Fregona third line (we will have as much firepower on first three lines than any UNH team over the past 4-5 years. Northeastern and UMass put there best player on third line for a few years)

Tirone will be the number 1 goalie and those who were not at every game can be naysayers but he probably had more 35+ save games than any other goalie in hockey east. If all of the posters are as good at what they do as Tirone is as a goalie, you are very good at what you do and congratulations. He is an elite goalie and the last Lowell game was pretty bad. Tirone had a lot of 2 and 3 star games this year at home and away and there were not many goalies earning 2 or 3 stars at UNH games this year not named Tirone. I hope he has a great senior year. There are 6-8 leaving next year as graduating seniors and that will open up recruiting opportunities without being a Carvel at UMass. He should have told them all to leave last year when they would not lose eligibility and he kept them which forces them to go back to juniors or play D-3 (He could have offered D-3 players one year until his guys came in). College hockey is not a business as very few teams fund athletics through ticket sales. I know most of you like the idea of cutting players as every athlete gets a renewal every year but it is an unwritten rule that the school recruited them and should honor the two way commitment. Shedding that many players does not set ethical standards for the school or for student athletes. He is not a CEO of a publicly traded company. Have a great summer Watcher and give Umile a break this year as it is his last and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2017-18 year. I cannot wait to see the schedule and hope we have a tougher schedule this year as I know there are 3 game schedules for 4 opponents this year and we are going to Hanover at Xmas. Enjoy the golf course and I hope the naysayers take a deep breath and bring the hate on around Thanksgiving if we are awful. I hope to see you all at the Whit in November/December when Coach Umile gets his 600th win.
        What's up with Marks? Did he get injured in the UML series?
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

...I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay...
          Hopefully it involves 4 d-men.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Ok, time to speculate on 2017-2018 OOC schedule.

In 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 we did not play any AHC teams. In 2015-2016 we played two (AIC and Bentley), and in 2016-2017 we played three (Bentley, Sacred Heart, and Mercyhurst). I am a pattern guy, so I predict that we play four AHC teams in 2017-2018. But, who will those teams be? We have played Holy Cross, Niagara, RIT, and Army in the past. But, what about Air Force, Canisius, and Robert Morris? Maybe we will travel west to play CC and Air Force on an October weekend?
            Take advantage of the exemption and visit either Alaska (52 PWR this past season) or even better Anchorage (57 PWR - although its not clear if they will still have a team)

Gets you two, extra, winnable games which could come in handy while chasing those magic Dave Lumley numbers.

Of course it would put the AD in a real pinch; I'm sure he would love to get the bonus games, but would really want to write a check to fly the team out there?
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Take advantage of the exemption and visit either Alaska (52 PWR this past season) or even better Anchorage (57 PWR - although its not clear if they will still have a team)

Gets you two, extra, winnable games which could come in handy while chasing those magic Dave Lumley numbers.

Of course it would put the AD in a real pinch; I'm sure he would love to get the bonus games, but would really want to write a check to fly the team out there?
              Might be some good deals on United Airlines now? UA and UAA might be tastier cupcakes than Bentley, Sacred Heart, and Mercyhurst, well worth the price of a long flight?
              Last edited by Snively65; 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Benton Maass signed his NLI today! One step closer to Durham...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Benton Maass signed his NLI today! One step closer to Durham...
                  No more decommits allowed!

Comment

Sometimes you find support in the most unexpected places. Not quite sure I hold Tirone in as high regard as you do, '32, but I'm with you that he's taken more than his fair share of stick for the program's recent problems. Anyway, you did chime in with quite a few thoughts (which is great), and some probably caught my eye more than others ...

As long as Coach Umile is still in charge of the in-game coaching, there are a few things you listed that will never happen, including but not necessarily limited to the following:

* McNicholas is NOT going from 2nd top scorer to centering a 3rd line. He and Salvaggio WILL stay together;
                    * Kelleher is NOT going to waltz into the program and begin the season on the first line. Not on Dick's watch;
                    * Likewise, BVR isn't going to be demoted to the 4th line. He has a better shot at the first line than Kelleher;
                    * I will be (pleasantly) surprised to see Fregona going from a spare part to a 3rd line regular

Tirone will be the number 1 goalie and those who were not at every game can be naysayers but he probably had more 35+ save games than any other goalie in hockey east. If all of the posters are as good at what they do as Tirone is as a goalie, you are very good at what you do and congratulations. He is an elite goalie and the last Lowell game was pretty bad. Tirone had a lot of 2 and 3 star games this year at home and away and there were not many goalies earning 2 or 3 stars at UNH games this year not named Tirone. I hope he has a great senior year.
                    Love the enthusiastic support for a guy who took way too much criticism in some quarters. But "elite"? No ...

There are 6-8 leaving next year as graduating seniors and that will open up recruiting opportunities without being a Carvel at UMass. He should have told them all to leave last year when they would not lose eligibility and he kept them which forces them to go back to juniors or play D-3 (He could have offered D-3 players one year until his guys came in). College hockey is not a business as very few teams fund athletics through ticket sales. I know most of you like the idea of cutting players as every athlete gets a renewal every year but it is an unwritten rule that the school recruited them and should honor the two way commitment. Shedding that many players does not set ethical standards for the school or for student athletes. He is not a CEO of a publicly traded company.
                    Not a huge fan of what Carvel is doing right now, but this is the way I look at it ... he gave these players a whole season to show him they were worthy of a D-1 roster spot in his program. The team proceeded to lose their last 17 games, and 22 of their last 23 games, with only an overtime win against *mighty* Alabama Huntsville (and for you fans of SOG's, A-H outshot UMass by more than 10 SOG's in that one). Losses included two back-to-backs against both UMaine and ASFU , and they also got thumped 3-0 by AHC powerhouse Almost In College in the Pioneer Valley Classic. So that's pretty much a team that mailed it in after the winter break. They were historically bad this season. If Carvel did nothing, and UMass has another one of those seasons again next year ... it might be Carvel who is asked not to return for Year 3 of his contract. So it's not the greatest approach, but if I'm him, I gave these guys a shot, they rolled over and quit on me, I'm happy to see the back of them, and if they forced to play D-3 as a result ... hey, maybe that's where they always belonged anyway.

... give Umile a break this year as it is his last and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2017-18 year. I cannot wait to see the schedule and hope we have a tougher schedule this year as I know there are 3 game schedules for 4 opponents this year and we are going to Hanover at Xmas. Enjoy the golf course and I hope the naysayers take a deep breath and bring the hate on around Thanksgiving if we are awful. I hope to see you all at the Whit in November/December when Coach Umile gets his 600th win.
                    Not to be the bearer of bad news, '32 ... but Coach still needs 14 wins to get to the NRN. I'm not even sure they will have played 14 games by the end of November, and their chances of winning 14 out of the 17-18 they will likely have played by the end of December are slim and none. And as the saying goes, it looks like Slim's about to leave town soon. If Coach is going to get to the NRN, you can pretty much book it that it won't be happening until February at the earliest. It took until early March this season to get to 14, and in the old days of HE when you didn't get to play MBPBEGAM *playoff* games, he would have been stuck on 12 instead of the 15 he ended up with.

I'm not sure this year's schedule can't be tougher than last season's sched, simply by default. But I get the feeling the AD wants to bring Coach in for a soft landing on his way out ... so be prepared for more cupcakes!!
                    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 04-12-2017, 10:04 PM.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Tirone elite? elite? seriously elite?

The numbers say he is a below average D1 goalie - not in the top 30 in save percentage, not in the top 47 in GAA. There are only 60 Div 1 teams average is 30... Sure he is number 7 in minutes, some of that is because there is nobody else on the team better, which is an indictment of recruiting. Now we can point out that his D was not great in front of him and both sv% and GAA are affected by the team around the goalie.

My eyes tell me he is maybe an average D1 goalie, maybe. The positives are his quickness and his drive. That obvious internal drive - effort, is an admirable quality. If we are being harsh, the problems are positioning is weak, doesn't control rebounds, form is all over the place and his glove hand is just atrocious. The number of problems that UNH had simply because Tirone can't cleanly catch a puck probably cost them 2-3 games.

A list of the goalies that played some level of significant minutes at UNH since Umile became coach (1990) Tirone ends up in the bottom 5. in order of playing:

Jeff Levy
                      Brett Abel
                      Trent Cavicchi
                      Mike Heinke
                      Brain Larochelle
                      Sean Matile
                      Ty Conklin
                      Matt Carney
                      Mike Ayers
                      Jeff Pietrasiak
                      Kevin Regan
                      Brian Foster
                      Matt DiGirolamo
                      Casey DeSmith
                      Adam Clark
                      Danny Tirone

That is 16 goalies that played half of a season in the last 27 years. There aren't many in there I would put below Tirone without a debate.

Now I do feel for Tirone, I doubt he is getting the goalie coaching many on this list received. If we look at the best stretch there was a former goalie on the bench that most likely had a big hand in recruiting and developing.

Minutes played and shots on goal does not make one elite.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Now I do feel for Tirone, I doubt he is getting the goalie coaching many on this list received. If we look at the best stretch there was a former goalie on the bench that most likely had a big hand in recruiting and developing.
                        UNH goalies work with an elite goalie coach - Mike Buckley. In addition to being the UNH "volunteer" goalie coach, Buckley is the goalie development coach for the Pittsburgh Peguins.

Former UNH goalies Kevin Regan, Brian Foster, Casey DeSmith (who, as a member of the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins, made the AHL All-Rookie team this season) and Jeff Wyer worked with Buckley for many years.

Last season, Buckley helped mentor goalie Matt Murray who backstopped the Penguins to their Stanley Cup win.

3rd Round draft pick Mike Robinson, who is on track to enroll next fall, is a longtime student of Buckley.

Buckley was a regular presence at many games and practices this season. UNH would be fortunate to have Buckley behind the bench on a full-time basis.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 04-13-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          I'm not sure this year's schedule can't be tougher than last season's sched, simply by default. But I get the feeling the AD wants to bring Coach in for a soft landing on his way out ... so be prepared for more cupcakes!!
                          I had to read this one three times. But, I agree.

Comment

UNH goalies work with an elite goalie coach - Mike Buckley. In addition to being the UNH "volunteer" goalie coach, Buckley is the goalie development coach for the Pittsburgh Peguins.

Former UNH goalies Kevin Regan, Brian Foster, Casey DeSmith (who, as a member of the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins, made the AHL All-Rookie team this season) and Jeff Wyer worked with Buckley for many years.

Last season, Buckley helped mentor goalie Matt Murray who backstopped the Penguins to their Stanley Cup win.

3rd Round draft pick Mike Robinson, who is on track to enroll next fall, is a longtime student of Buckley.

Buckley was a regular presence at many games and practices this season. UNH would be fortunate to have Buckley behind the bench on a full-time basis.
                            I would imagine JB - like the rest of us - knows this already, and his point is that a part-time, volunteer coach who runs a goalie school and spends a large amount of time working with the Penguins instead does NOT equal 24/7, fully-focused attention from an extremely well-regarded goalie coach in Dave Lassonde...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I would imagine JB - like the rest of us - knows this already, and his point is that a part-time, volunteer coach who runs a goalie school and spends a large amount of time working with the Penguins instead does NOT equal 24/7, fully-focused attention from an extremely well-regarded goalie coach in Dave Lassonde...
                              Dave Lassonde was and is an extremely well-regarded goalie coach. So is Mike Buckley. As I said, UNH would be fortunate to have a full-time coach of Buckley's caliber.

Comment

Dave Lassonde was and is an extremely well-regarded goalie coach. So is Mike Buckley. As I said, UNH would be fortunate to have a full-time coach of Buckley's caliber.
                                It would be awesome to have someone like Mike B behind the bench; but whomever it is, will be...they need to be strong in defensive coaching (which I imagine he would be?) and...be a cracker jack recruiter. I imagine Mike Souza has pondered who will fill his vacancy already; that selection is going to be HUGE going forward. UNH can't afford to "miss" this time around. (am not implying they have, mind you...but you get what I mean.)
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X