Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 554

Thread: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

  1. #181
    Clark-Hislop-Cox
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,898

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    2017 Commit Charlie Kelleher finished the USHL regular season with 17 goals and 34 assists in 61 games. He tied for 8th in USHL scoring, Tied 6th in assists, and Tied 7th in power play assists.
    In Andrew Poturalski's final USHL season, he scored 27 goals and 37 assists in 60 regular season games.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 04-09-2017 at 12:24 PM.

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by C-H-C View Post
    2017 Commit Charlie Kelleher finished the USHL regular season with 17 goals and 34 assists in 61 games. He tied for 8th in USHL scoring, Tied 6th in assists, and Tied 7th in power play assists.
    In Andrew Poturalski's final USHL season, he scored 27 goals and 37 assists in 60 regular season games.
    I am counting on ChK staying all four years. :-)

  3. #183
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,911

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Also interesting to note - once Tirone arrived the two goalies actually did rotate for two weeks. Clark allowed four goals in a loss at Omaha and a tie with Dartmouth. Tirone allowed two in a win over Omaha and one in a win vs PC - making 11 less saves. Then Clark had one bad start against UMass and the rotation was over. Even when Tirone's numbers ballooned up to 3.15/.899 pre-UConn Clark never sniffed a second chance...

    Umile wanted Tirone to be the guy from the start - and has used every Clark struggle as rationalization for his pre-judgement while giving Tirone pass after pass. THAT is unfair. To Clark. To Tirone. To the team. Me calling for an open competition and accountability amongst the goaltenders while backing it up with evidence is not...
    See, that's the problem with advocating for a rotation including Clark. He started the process (as pointed out by HR) as the projected back-up for CDS, and based on Coach Umile's quick decision (and I accept your correction on the timing, Dan) to call in Tirone a year early, it's pretty clear that what you call the "pre-judgment" - the pre-matriculation assessment that Tirone was going to be top dog, and Clark was going to be his back-up - was simply the assessment of Umile, Borek, et als. Assessments like that happen all the time. Right or wrong, but that's part of the process. And as someone who's involved in recruiting, you also know that certain promises are often made to induce certain players to commit to your program. Do you think it's possible that such promises may have been made to Tirone that he was likely to be the top dog - especially when he had to decide to come a year early or not? And do you think it's possible that someone (most likely Borek) had a similar discussion with Clark, telling him they projected him to be a back-up, unless his performance knocked their socks off?

    I'm not getting into whether such promises or inducements or whatever should be made. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I can imagine that sometimes you need to tell someone something to get their commitment over the line. And if that's been the case, you can perhaps begin to understand why Tirone seems to get the benefit of the doubt, whereas Clark has always been on a short leash from the outset to today.

    But Clark's biggest enemy (unfortunately) has been Clark himself. He had the half-season head start, and you've outlined above that he did get a (brief) shot at a goalie rotation at the outset of Tirone's time here at UNH. You've outlined how that played out (though you managed to overlook a 4 G in 20 shots loss to UMaine a week after the UMass loss), and if you're Coach Umile and had always projected Tirone to be your top goalie, it seems that stretch of games supported his decision. And there was the end of season winning streak, into the playoffs. I'm not sure anyone entered season before last thinking Tirone hadn't earned the top job.

    Season before last, Tirone struggled out of the gate, no question. Clark got another chance - albeit a brief one - then got injured, and was redshirted. That makes any "competition" for the '15/'16 season moot, unless you thought Jamie Regan deserved a shot - one that you did not think Regan's current equivalent (Lazzarro) was ever going to be up to when we last disagreed on that subject. Fair enough.

    This past season, Tirone was again Jekyl & Hyde. Clark did get two (brief) chances, lost to SLU and blew a late lead to ASFU, when he let up 11 goals in 64 shots across those two games. I think that's a save percentage of not much over 80%. There was a relief performance against UML where his save percentage was in the 85% ballpark. Not exactly making a strong case for trusting him with more than back-up duty. While that may be harsh, and seems somewhat unfair, that's the role he seems to have always been projected to play anyway, and he's not really given the coaching staff much to ponder. An argument can be made that Regan showed more in his brief stint the previous season than Clark has shown at any time this past season. Clark's best stretch arguably was two road wins season before last, right before he got injured. Not Tirone's fault, and not Coach's fault either.

    If you think expecting Coach to artificially force a goalie rotation with a projected career back-up when the "competition" is either injured or not in top form is realistic, then we're simply going to have to agree to disagree.

    I'll let you have the last word on this.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,781

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Joe Lazarro: 0.500 SV%; 40.09 GAA; 1 min 28 sec in Brown game

  5. #185
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,911

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Joe Lazarro: 0.500 SV%; 40.09 GAA; 1 min 28 sec in Brown game
    His name came up in context of possibly being a stop-gap back-up for Robinson after Clark and Tirone leave, and before Commesso arrives. My thought is that if he can be a D-1 ready back-up for a single season - similar to what Regan did last season - that's a possibility *maybe". That's a lot of "ifs" admittedly. Otherwise, as Dan (and 'Watcher) have said - and they're absolutely right - UNH would need to get a D-1 grade back-up to be ready to come in, whether it's after next season (when Tirone AND if Clark both leave) OR in two seasons (when both are gone for sure).

    It's a small sample size (hate that term ) but certainly Lazzarro didn't show anything in his microscopically brief game experience. Unless he showed something to the staff in practice - which is doubtful to begin with, and unlikely to be a staff focus issue based on prior actions - he's back to #4 this season, and #3 for the rest of his UNH career.

    Stepping out of the goalie debate for now ... just wanted to clarify that, since it was an issue of debate before.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    His name came up in context of possibly being a stop-gap back-up for Robinson after Clark and Tirone leave, and before Commesso arrives. My thought is that if he can be a D-1 ready back-up for a single season - similar to what Regan did last season - that's a possibility *maybe". That's a lot of "ifs" admittedly. Otherwise, as Dan (and 'Watcher) have said - and they're absolutely right - UNH would need to get a D-1 grade back-up to be ready to come in, whether it's after next season (when Tirone AND if Clark both leave) OR in two seasons (when both are gone for sure).

    It's a small sample size (hate that term ) but certainly Lazzarro didn't show anything in his microscopically brief game experience. Unless he showed something to the staff in practice - which is doubtful to begin with, and unlikely to be a staff focus issue based on prior actions - he's back to #4 this season, and #3 for the rest of his UNH career.

    Stepping out of the goalie debate for now ... just wanted to clarify that, since it was an issue of debate before.
    Oh, I get it. I remember the weekend in Orono during the 2001-2002 season when Carney was on the shelf with concussion protocols and Ayers got his wrist slashed. Back when having reliable goal-tending really mattered for our team.
    Last edited by Snively65; 04-10-2017 at 07:19 AM.

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    10,579

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    UNH will get a real goalie for 2018. Two points. First, no way they put all of their eggs in the basket of a kid who was an interesting in-State prospect when recruited, briefly flashed his senior year and was drafted on potential by San Jose because he was 6'4, but who has since not reached that potential at each level, and even now is splitting time in the NAHL.

    Second, even if he is the real deal, they need a backup and have money. When he was recruited they had his entry date open, meaning he was a project, not a core part of their planned goalie sequence. I suspect he probably has a pretty reasonable scholarship money. Lazzaro was completely unrecruited emergency club team goalie with a undistinguished HS resume. So, Souza is not starting his career with only a partial scholarship goalie, when he has money available for that crucial position. And further, because this is a two year gap before Commessio possibly arrives, doing Clark as a one year stopgap doesn't bridge to anything. (To say nothing about whether they even view him as a functioning bridge, or he wants to come back for a fifth year to be a potential bridge.)
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-10-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    UNH Hockey:
    You can hold onto something so tight
    You've already lost it.
    Dragging me down, that's not the way it used to be.
    You can't even remember what I'm trying to forget.

  8. #188
    Clark-Hislop-Cox
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,898

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Recent article from the San Jose Sharks website:

    "Prospect Spotlight: Mike Robinson"

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,374

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    OK, Last word...

    Basing a rotation decision on Clark's performance over 133 minutes this season, just doesn't hold water. Clark was Tirone's equal as a freshman (when you factor in that much of Tirone's statistical success benefitted from the 'cupcake' end of season schedule he faced) and was VERY good in his limited appearances as a sophomore. Umile announced that entering the 2016-17 season there would be a rotation and an open competition. So what happened?

    Tirone was horrendous against BENTLEY, allowing 5 goals on 21 shots. Meanwhile, Clark was less than stellar against St. Lawrence on the road giving up 6 goals on 40 shots. The result? Rotation over. Job to Tirone. Clark didn't see the ice again for seven games.

    He wasn't good against Arizona State, while playing with the pressure of knowing his career was on the line. Its one game - the ultimate small sample size. Only his second start in over a year. He never see's the ice again except for mop-up scenarios. Meanwhile, Tirone lays multiple eggs over the course of the year and is NEVER held accountable. In fact, he's allowed to make the PT decisions for himself! The microcosm to describe the goalie situation is Tirone being lauded as a hero for getting shelled by Lowell, while Clark is essentially written off for giving up two goals in relief during UNH's worst (or second worst) effort of the entire season...

    Chuck, you've also consistently glossed over my main point that holding Tirone accountable - and not handing him the job - would make, Clark, the team AND HIM better. I truly do not care who wins a goalie competition, but there needed to be one in order to bring out the best at the position for the team. That's a requirement of the coaching staff and they failed everyone involved.

    As for 2015-16, YES - Regan should have been given a chance. He shone against Notre Dame. Tirone was terrible. Regan played multiple years of junior hockey as a starter. Even mentioning him in the same sentence as Lazzaro (a ONE year PG at Phillips Exeter) is disingenuous. They're not even in the same sphere of talent. Regan was not a DI starting caliber goalie, but perhaps riding him a few games would have lit a fire under Tirone and he plays well down the stretch. Instead, he's right back in the crease the following night and its same old, same old...

    As far as 'the plan' when the goalies were recruited goes - I couldn't care less. The plan is NOT working. Adapt!

    Tirone is Tirone. Clark is persona non grata. Robinson's development has stalled. There are ZERO good options for next season - the only hope for UNH is that a legitimate competition forces one of the three to emerge and reach their peak potential. If the job is nothing more than handed to Tirone, its a good bet that next year is the worst season of Umile's entire tenure. While individuals will likely improve, the offense will struggle without TK. The defense will be more talented, but completely green.

    If Umile remains completely unrealistic about the type of team he has - and plays every night like he's chasing a HE title, instead of trying to develop his best team over the course of the season, it will just be more of the same. The alternative is actually trying to get better and doing what's best long-term even if it means a few bumps in the road - and he finishes short of 600...
    Last edited by Dan; 04-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.

  10. #190
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,911

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If Umile remains completely unrealistic about the type of team he has - and plays every night like he's chasing a HE title, instead of trying to develop his best team over the course of the season, it will just be more of the same. The alternative is actually trying to get better and doing what's best long-term even if it means a few bumps in the road - and he finishes short of 600...
    This last part is a good transition into other discussions, and helps frame the basic conflict UNH faces next season. We (as fans) can choose to believe whatever we want as to the real reason(s) why Coach Umile is coming back next season: the paycheck, pure love of the game, postseason glory to banish bad memories and/or buff up his legacy on the way out, or the NRN. Nowhere on that list is developing a team for the future, by sacrificing and taking some lumps in the short term - y'know, one step backwards, so then the program *maybe* take two steps forward the following year under Coach Souza? I think any sane UNH follower would have to agree that the likelihood of Coach Umile doing things selflessly next season on his way out is improbable at best. Just coming back at all has arguably already signaled that.

    So in coming back, we can be 99.9% certain that he's not going to be "learning new tricks" and will be relying heavily on what has worked for him in the past (and "worked" means by his definition - not ours, or anyone else's). You can almost imagine Coach Umile listening to the strains of Sinatra's "My Way" behind the rolled-up windows of his car on the way to practice. God only knows if this is part of whatever level of *wisdom* is being passed down to the over-ripe AHC over this 3 year odyssey. So we can expect to see a lot of the same stuff we've been treated to over the last few seasons, which is not encouraging. Probably overreliance on certain older players, possibly even more crème-filled scheduling, and *development* of the blue line crew by a staff of three (3) career-long forwards.

    In that scenario, the projected "seamless" transition will be anything but ... except of course, if Coach Souza decides his idea of "changing the culture" is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, and putting the Umile playbook to work as his Learner's Guide to D-1 Coaching.

    Assuming Souza has different plans and ideas - and I think the recent recruiting seems to strongly suggest he does - the upcoming season would have been an ideal time to ascend to the HC position. Lots of changes coming up on the blue line, a chance to let the frosh D learn and take some early lumps, the long-awaited three goalie cluster *bomb*, and the loss of the most dynamic, creative player the program has seen in recent seasons. Starting from scratch, a step backwards next season to hopefully take two steps forward the season after. I think most fans would see this as a positive, and cut Souza some slack next season (I know I would).

    But that's not going to happen. What we'll get is "same old same old" from the outgoing coach, tilting at illusory postseason windmills and/or the NRN, and he'll finish the job on his terms - and if that hurts his hand-picked successor's chances, hey, suck it up buttercup.

    I'll withhold further commentary on this issue (promises, promises) until I see the 2017/2018 schedule ...
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  11. #191
    Desk Chair Coach
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Lee, NH, USA
    Posts
    2,356

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    developing a team for the future, by sacrificing and taking some lumps in the short term - y'know, one step backwards, so then the program *maybe* take two steps forward the following year under Coach Souza?
    So I actually pondered this... I typed an entire post with the point being what if we are all looking at this wrong. Something happened the post didn't, well, post and I didn't retype it. It was back in the Sean Coady phase of this discussion.

    What if that is why Umile is back, and didn't know if he was back after the Lowell game. What if they are going to start implementing Souza system and Umile is going to take one for the team? It would essentially buy MS and MS (BS35+?) an entire year. Umile could be the fall guy for what is going to be a rough year no matter what, maybe get to the NRN and get paid a pile of money - win, win, win. MS & MS would then be on the clock starting 2018-2019, while potentially having the jump start the Umile himself was given by Coady's recruiting.

    That also might be why there are more of Souza's guys showing up now.

    It is a long shot, a bit of a fairy tale, and a much happier spin to the current dysfunction. In this make believe version everybody has the best of intentions. This is what the off season is about, discussing things to absurdity

    .
    .
    .

    The plan was clearly hatched around a camp fire, with s'mores after singing kumbayah

    Edit: P.S. might have been the other thread where I considered posting this...
    Last edited by JB; 04-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

  12. #192
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,911

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    So I actually pondered this... I typed an entire post with the point being what if we are all looking at this wrong. Something happened the post didn't, well, post and I didn't retype it. It was back in the Sean Coady phase of this discussion.

    What if that is why Umile is back, and didn't know if he was back after the Lowell game. What if they are going to start implementing Souza system and Umile is going to take one for the team? It would essentially buy MS and MS (BS35+?) an entire year. Umile could be the fall guy for what is going to be a rough year no matter what, maybe get to the NRN and get paid a pile of money - win, win, win. MS & MS would then be on the clock starting 2018-2019, while potentially having the jump start the Umile himself was given by Coady's recruiting.

    That also might be why there are more of Souza's guys showing up now.

    It is a long shot, a bit of a fairy tale, and a much happier spin to the current dysfunction. In this make believe version everybody has the best of intentions. This is what the off season is about, discussing things to absurdity.
    JB, kudos to you for really thinking outside of the box. Like you said, offseason is about discussing things to absurdity at times. I love the creativity. And for a few seconds, I thought "Hey, that's not a bad idea!"

    Then I remembered how Coach Dick "21" Umile proclaimed how only six (6) more wins next season gets them back into the D-1 tourney. Strange early message for the "taking one for the team" approach, that. Oops.

    I really do hope Coach can pull one out of his ... hat next season, 'cuz it's gonna be brutal on here if he doesn't.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    This last part is a good transition into other discussions, and helps frame the basic conflict UNH faces next season. We (as fans) can choose to believe whatever we want as to the real reason(s) why Coach Umile is coming back next season: the paycheck, pure love of the game, postseason glory to banish bad memories and/or buff up his legacy on the way out, or the NRN. Nowhere on that list is developing a team for the future, by sacrificing and taking some lumps in the short term - y'know, one step backwards, so then the program *maybe* take two steps forward the following year under Coach Souza? I think any sane UNH follower would have to agree that the likelihood of Coach Umile doing things selflessly next season on his way out is improbable at best. Just coming back at all has arguably already signaled that.

    So in coming back, we can be 99.9% certain that he's not going to be "learning new tricks" and will be relying heavily on what has worked for him in the past (and "worked" means by his definition - not ours, or anyone else's). You can almost imagine Coach Umile listening to the strains of Sinatra's "My Way" behind the rolled-up windows of his car on the way to practice. God only knows if this is part of whatever level of *wisdom* is being passed down to the over-ripe AHC over this 3 year odyssey. So we can expect to see a lot of the same stuff we've been treated to over the last few seasons, which is not encouraging. Probably overreliance on certain older players, possibly even more crème-filled scheduling, and *development* of the blue line crew by a staff of three (3) career-long forwards.

    In that scenario, the projected "seamless" transition will be anything but ... except of course, if Coach Souza decides his idea of "changing the culture" is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, and putting the Umile playbook to work as his Learner's Guide to D-1 Coaching.

    Assuming Souza has different plans and ideas - and I think the recent recruiting seems to strongly suggest he does - the upcoming season would have been an ideal time to ascend to the HC position. Lots of changes coming up on the blue line, a chance to let the frosh D learn and take some early lumps, the long-awaited three goalie cluster *bomb*, and the loss of the most dynamic, creative player the program has seen in recent seasons. Starting from scratch, a step backwards next season to hopefully take two steps forward the season after. I think most fans would see this as a positive, and cut Souza some slack next season (I know I would).

    But that's not going to happen. What we'll get is "same old same old" from the outgoing coach, tilting at illusory postseason windmills and/or the NRN, and he'll finish the job on his terms - and if that hurts his hand-picked successor's chances, hey, suck it up buttercup.

    I'll withhold further commentary on this issue (promises, promises) until I see the 2017/2018 schedule ...
    Ok, time to speculate on 2017-2018 OOC schedule.

    In 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 we did not play any AHC teams. In 2015-2016 we played two (AIC and Bentley), and in 2016-2017 we played three (Bentley, Sacred Heart, and Mercyhurst). I am a pattern guy, so I predict that we play four AHC teams in 2017-2018. But, who will those teams be? We have played Holy Cross, Niagara, RIT, and Army in the past. But, what about Air Force, Canisius, and Robert Morris? Maybe we will travel west to play CC and Air Force on an October weekend?

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Ok, time to speculate on 2017-2018 OOC schedule.

    In 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 we did not play any AHC teams. In 2015-2016 we played two (AIC and Bentley), and in 2016-2017 we played three (Bentley, Sacred Heart, and Mercyhurst). I am a pattern guy, so I predict that we play four AHC teams in 2017-2018. But, who will those teams be? We have played Holy Cross, Niagara, RIT, and Army in the past. But, what about Air Force, Canisius, and Robert Morris? Maybe we will travel west to play CC and Air Force on an October weekend?
    You know we are playing Yale down there and potentially again at the Dartmouth Christmas tourney (Ledyard Classic I think it's called) ?

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    You know we are playing Yale down there and potentially again at the Dartmouth Christmas tourney (Ledyard Classic I think it's called) ?
    Yup. And, we have played supposed cupcakes Dartmouth and RPI each of the last four years. Other EZAC teams include St Lawrence and Clarkson the past two years, Brown and Cornell twice, Union thwice, and Harvud once in the past four years. But, cupcake quotient for EZAC teams may be too high to reach the NRN.
    Last edited by Snively65; 04-12-2017 at 03:16 PM.

  16. #196
    Clark-Hislop-Cox
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,898

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by C-H-C View Post
    Could mean Benton Maass's (Pronounced: Mass) NHL draft prospects on the rise. Was 158th North American skater in Midterm Rankings (Corson Green at 149, Max Gildon at 76):

    http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...year=2017&pg=4
    NHL Central Scouting Service Final Rankings just released. Among North American Skaters:

    Max Gildon - #54
    Benton Maass - #159
    Corson Green - Not Listed

    https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/as...-file/file.pdf

  17. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    82

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    2017
    Sr.Salvaggio--Sr.McNicholas---Jr.Vela
    Sr.Eiserman---So.Blackburn----So.Grasso
    So.BVR--------Jr.Nazarian-----Fr.C.Kelleher
    Sr.C.Miller---So.Fregona------Fr.MacAdams
    Fr.Cipollone--Jr.Cefalu-------So.Sacco
    Fr.Sato

    Sr.Marks-----So.Wyse
    Fr.Maass-----Fr.Gildon
    Sr.Chanter---Jr.Dawson
    Fr.J.Miller----Fr.Darcy
    Sr.Boyd???----So.Nonis

    Sr.Tirone---Sr.Clark---Fr.Robinson

    2018
    Sr.Nazarian---Jr.Blackburn----Jr.Grasso
    Fr.________---Fr.Crookshank---Sr.Vela
    Jr.BVR--------So.C.Kelleher---Jr.Fregona
    Fr.Esposito---Sr.C.Miller-----So.MacAdams
    So.Cipollone--Sr.Cefalu-------Jr.Sacco
    So.Sato

    Jr.Wyse------So.Gildon
    So.Maass-----So.J.Miller
    Sr.Dawson----Fr.Green
    So.Darcy----Jr.Nonis
    Fr.Verrier or Bahn

    So.Robinson---Fr.________

    2019
    So._________--So.Crookshank---Jr.C.Kelleher
    Fr.Wazny------Sr.Blackburn----Sr.Grasso
    Sr.BVR--------Sr.Fregona------Jr.MacAdams
    So.Esposito---Fr.________-----Fr.________
    Jr.Cipollone--Jr.Sato-------Sr.Sacco

    Jr.Gildon----Sr.Wyse
    Jr.Maass----Jr.J.Miller
    So.Green----Fr.Bahn
    Jr.Darcy----Sr.Nonis
    Fr.Verrier---

    Jr.Robinson---So._________
    Watcher

    UNH has a problem with too many left handed defensemen.

    Both Wyse and Gildon are lefties so it would be unlikely they would play together. I messed up earlier.

    I think Marks (presuming he is healed) and Gildon will be first pairing and Wyse and Maass will be second pairing. Chanter is right handed and he will play with one of the remaining 5 lefties (Miller, Darcy, Dawson, Boyd, Nonis)

    I believe they will break up last year's first line.

    Sally Blackburn and Kelleher on first line (not power play) ( I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay)
    Eiserman, Vela and Grasso second line
    Nazarian, McNicholas, Fregona third line (we will have as much firepower on first three lines than any UNH team over the past 4-5 years. Northeastern and UMass put there best player on third line for a few years)
    BVR, Miller and MacAdams will probably be fourth line.

    Tirone will be the number 1 goalie and those who were not at every game can be naysayers but he probably had more 35+ save games than any other goalie in hockey east. If all of the posters are as good at what they do as Tirone is as a goalie, you are very good at what you do and congratulations. He is an elite goalie and the last Lowell game was pretty bad. Tirone had a lot of 2 and 3 star games this year at home and away and there were not many goalies earning 2 or 3 stars at UNH games this year not named Tirone. I hope he has a great senior year. There are 6-8 leaving next year as graduating seniors and that will open up recruiting opportunities without being a Carvel at UMass. He should have told them all to leave last year when they would not lose eligibility and he kept them which forces them to go back to juniors or play D-3 (He could have offered D-3 players one year until his guys came in). College hockey is not a business as very few teams fund athletics through ticket sales. I know most of you like the idea of cutting players as every athlete gets a renewal every year but it is an unwritten rule that the school recruited them and should honor the two way commitment. Shedding that many players does not set ethical standards for the school or for student athletes. He is not a CEO of a publicly traded company. Have a great summer Watcher and give Umile a break this year as it is his last and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2017-18 year. I cannot wait to see the schedule and hope we have a tougher schedule this year as I know there are 3 game schedules for 4 opponents this year and we are going to Hanover at Xmas. Enjoy the golf course and I hope the naysayers take a deep breath and bring the hate on around Thanksgiving if we are awful. I hope to see you all at the Whit in November/December when Coach Umile gets his 600th win.

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,575

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by UNH1932 View Post
    Watcher

    UNH has a problem with too many left handed defensemen.

    Both Wyse and Gildon are lefties so it would be unlikely they would play together. I messed up earlier.

    I think Marks (presuming he is healed) and Gildon will be first pairing and Wyse and Maass will be second pairing. Chanter is right handed and he will play with one of the remaining 5 lefties (Miller, Darcy, Dawson, Boyd, Nonis)

    I believe they will break up last year's first line.

    Sally Blackburn and Kelleher on first line (not power play) ( I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay)
    Eiserman, Vela and Grasso second line
    Nazarian, McNicholas, Fregona third line (we will have as much firepower on first three lines than any UNH team over the past 4-5 years. Northeastern and UMass put there best player on third line for a few years)
    BVR, Miller and MacAdams will probably be fourth line.

    Tirone will be the number 1 goalie and those who were not at every game can be naysayers but he probably had more 35+ save games than any other goalie in hockey east. If all of the posters are as good at what they do as Tirone is as a goalie, you are very good at what you do and congratulations. He is an elite goalie and the last Lowell game was pretty bad. Tirone had a lot of 2 and 3 star games this year at home and away and there were not many goalies earning 2 or 3 stars at UNH games this year not named Tirone. I hope he has a great senior year. There are 6-8 leaving next year as graduating seniors and that will open up recruiting opportunities without being a Carvel at UMass. He should have told them all to leave last year when they would not lose eligibility and he kept them which forces them to go back to juniors or play D-3 (He could have offered D-3 players one year until his guys came in). College hockey is not a business as very few teams fund athletics through ticket sales. I know most of you like the idea of cutting players as every athlete gets a renewal every year but it is an unwritten rule that the school recruited them and should honor the two way commitment. Shedding that many players does not set ethical standards for the school or for student athletes. He is not a CEO of a publicly traded company. Have a great summer Watcher and give Umile a break this year as it is his last and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2017-18 year. I cannot wait to see the schedule and hope we have a tougher schedule this year as I know there are 3 game schedules for 4 opponents this year and we are going to Hanover at Xmas. Enjoy the golf course and I hope the naysayers take a deep breath and bring the hate on around Thanksgiving if we are awful. I hope to see you all at the Whit in November/December when Coach Umile gets his 600th win.
    What's up with Marks? Did he get injured in the UML series?
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  19. #199
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,311

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by UNH1932 View Post
    ...I am waiting to see what they do for first and second powerplay...
    Hopefully it involves 4 d-men.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  20. #200
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    647

    Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Ok, time to speculate on 2017-2018 OOC schedule.

    In 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 we did not play any AHC teams. In 2015-2016 we played two (AIC and Bentley), and in 2016-2017 we played three (Bentley, Sacred Heart, and Mercyhurst). I am a pattern guy, so I predict that we play four AHC teams in 2017-2018. But, who will those teams be? We have played Holy Cross, Niagara, RIT, and Army in the past. But, what about Air Force, Canisius, and Robert Morris? Maybe we will travel west to play CC and Air Force on an October weekend?
    Take advantage of the exemption and visit either Alaska (52 PWR this past season) or even better Anchorage (57 PWR - although its not clear if they will still have a team)

    Gets you two, extra, winnable games which could come in handy while chasing those magic Dave Lumley numbers.

    Of course it would put the AD in a real pinch; I'm sure he would love to get the bonus games, but would really want to write a check to fly the team out there?
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •