X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    It certainly can't hurt. Christian Bragnalo is back coaching the Bantam team at SSM (currently '03s). UNH hasn't had an SSM kid in forever. Hopefully thy changes with Scott Morrow's kid. Rob Gagnon WAS coaching at Cushing and UNH has pulled a couple of kids out of the prep school (Boyd, McElhaney - Boyd 2.0?), recently.

There are others coaching HS (Walsh, etc) and Eric Flinton is coaching a strong club team (including his two sons) out of NH. I'm sure there are others at the JR level - at least in secondary roles like Matile. So far the connections haven't really paid off for UNH. Similar to how the father-son connections have failed them often. Nate Hanley committed to Northeastern today...

Hopefully, with Souza being a teammate - or at least a contemporary - of all these guys that may start to change...
    Speaking of contemporaries, no one here will be surprised if Souza pulls one of these coaches into the UNH fold as an assistant when he takes the reigns? (not necessairily one of these mentioned as there are others)
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Speaking of contemporaries, no one here will be surprised if Souza pulls one of these coaches into the UNH fold as an assistant when he takes the reigns? (not necessairily one of these mentioned as there are others)
      Someone with a little NHL maybe?
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        Someone with a little NHL maybe?
        ...and a little defenseman in them...😉
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Good to see the recruiting team brought in a serviceable goalie, hopefully in time for next season.

So much more needing to be done, though.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Good to see the recruiting team brought in a serviceable goalie, hopefully in time for next season.

So much more needing to be done, though.
            Stewie spotted with potential recruit walking though the 'Whitt last night...not to start any wild rumors just something observed by a few fans.
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-10-2018, 10:59 AM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Yes, there is still talent out there. They haven't been great so far - but what could save them is college hockey's unique recruiting schedule. Suchy is a '97 who is available late in recruiting process because he's a European and has only been in NA for two years. Glasman and Poisson (99s) are guys they could take as true freshmen. So between late bloomer types and going a year early on other kids they could do well for themselves despite missing on the first choice types.
              So, Dan
              Let's say Souza is able to fill out the class with Suchy and Valach, two USHL scorers, add in Taylor in goal. Bring in a defenseman to replace Miller. Would you agree that's at least a credible placeholder class to even out the "losses" for this year's team? I guess that's still three spits to fill, which is a lot, but it's not impossible. Yes you want to upgrade the talent from a 10th place team, but would you agree that salvaging the class this late, while waiting for a lead recruiter would change our views on the Souza era and future prospects?

Blackburn (Jr) - Vela (Sr) - Grasso (Jr)
              Crookshank (Fr) - Nazarian (Sr) - Kelleher (So)
              BVR (Jr) -Valach (Fr) - Suchy (Fr)
              Miller (Sr.)--MacAdams (So) - Fregona (Jr)
              Esposito (Fr) - Sato (So) - Cefalu (Sr)
              -Sacco (Jr)--Cipollone (Fr)

Gildon (So)--Maass (So)
              Wyse (Jr) - Boyd (Sr)
              Verrier (Fr) - Green (Fr)
              Dawson (Sr) - [Fr)

Robinson (So) / Taylor (Fr)
              Lazzaro (Jr)

BVR (Sr) - Blackburn (Sr) - Grasso (Sr)
              Valach (So) - Crookshank (So) - Kelleher (Jr)
              Stevenson (Fr) - Suchy (So) - MacAdams (Jr)
              Pierson (Fr) - Esposito (So) Fregona (Sr)
              Sacco (Sr) - Sato (Jr) - Cipollone (So)

Wyse (Sr) - Maass (Jr)
              [](Fr) --- [] (So)
              Verrier (So) - Green (So)
              McElhaney (Fr) - Bahn (Fr)

Robinson (Jr) / Taylor (So)
              Lazzaro (Sr)
              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-13-2018, 07:20 AM.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Watcher,

Yes. Sign me up. I would view that incoming class as an upgrade to what they’re losing with this season’s seniors. Especially if they are able to add a defensemen, who can not only fill Miller’s spot on the roster, but fill the fourth-spot in the top-four. I would be the first in line to give Souza a lot of credit if he could pull that off.

You were right about their willingness to move on another goalie and I am glad to have been wrong. I hope they are willing to do the same at forward – I’d be thrilled with Suchy and Valach. I’d also love Werbik (I may prefer him to Valach) or any of the young BCHL forwards I mentioned – even if Poisson and Glasman are less likely to contribute as FR (due to age). I would consider any of them terrific recruiting coups at this point in the process of building a 2018-19 class. Its not impossible, but it is a lot to ask and I’m not optimistic. If it works out this way – yes, my opinion on Souza would improve dramatically and I’d be happy to give him an extra year on that leash (haha, maybe more)…

---

I’d view that type of incoming class as follows:

GOALIE

Tirone/Clark → Taylor

This is a major upgrade in terms of ability, resume and style. I can’t wait to watch (hopefully) a real competition between to big, fundamental and highly-regarded prospects with a proven history of keeping pucks out of the net.

DEFENSE

Chanter → Green

This is a push for me. People forget just how highly regarded Chanter was coming in to UNH. He played in the BCHL at 16 and was expected to be a mid-round draft pick. I will always wonder just how much Chanter’s on-ice seizure may have affected his game. Green is still raw and while I expect him to play immediately and give them essentially what they’ve gotten from Chanter the last two years…

Marks → Verrier

Marks was another really highly regarded defenseman when he committed to UNH. USHR described him as a ‘Laleggia’ type. Talk about two big recruiting misses. I can’t imagine Verrier giving UNH the unspectacular steadiness that Marks has right away. Over the course of his career, Verrier could match Marks’ actually production however.

Overall, without another D recruit – I’d view swapping these two in as a push. They really do need to add another defenseman – and I think its important its more than just a depth filler. If they really want to improve they need a very good pick up to immediately place in the top four with Wyse, Maass and Gildon.

FORWARD

McNicholas → Suchy

We’ll never know what kind of career MM might have had if he had been trusted in a scoring role early in his career. He’s not a great two-way player, but he always had the ability to set up plays and create offense. That said, I’d still view Suchy as a significant upgrade. He’s scoring at a real good clip in the USHL right now – a league MM was never successful in. He’s also produced at a high level Internationally with the Czech Republic. He would be a great get.

Salvaggio → Crookshank

Salvaggio is a bottom-six forward with a big shot. He broke out because of his linemates last year and lost his grind as a result. Now he’s a one-dimensional forward who doesn’t score often because he doesn’t have a truly elite play-maker (TK) to get him the puck in the right spots. Crookshank is a much more talented and complete player. AC is a big upgrade over the course of their careers – though as I cautioned the other day he’s more Blackburn/Downing than Poturalski/TK in my opinion. Still has a chance to be very good and should score over 100 pts.

Eiserman → Valach/Werbik

I love Eiserman. He never got the chance to really fill the role that suits him and was his destiny at UNH. He should have been a fan-favorite as a ball of energy who crashed, banged and chipped a welcome amount of offense. Instead he was always relegated to third or fourth line duty with linemates who lacked skill. He would have played a major and significant role on a good team. I hope he has a nice career after college. Based on what UNH needs now – scoring, scoring and scoring – Valach or Werbik are better fits. Upgrade.

→ Esposito/Cippolone

I think Esposito can fill a role on the fourth line next season and projects as a bottom six forward over the course of his career. But a much better bottom six forward than what they’ve run out there lately. He’s a MacAdams type. Cippollone is a bit of an uncertainty. I don’t expect his scoring in the NCDC to translate until his upperclass seasons at the earliest – if ever. He could be a MM type as a JR/SR if he plays with the right pieces or he could flounder in and out of the line-up for four years. Overall I like them better than the end of the roster guys we have now. Upgrade.

---

So, tl;dr – Yes. I would be ecstatic with a final push to put together a class like that. It would illustrate a real recruiting ability and set a great foundation for future classes. I also think it would make UNH better in the short-term (next four years), even if it took all the new pieces a little time to get going. So add a class like that and I’ll be much more forgiving next season. I just don’t expect that things will turn out this way. Adding three more key pieces for next fall is a tall order. Hopefully I am wrong again…
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

I would play as follows...

Crookshank - Blackburn - Grasso
                  Vela - Nazarian - Kelleher
                  BVR - Suchy - Werbik (Valach)
                  Esposito - MacAdams - Fregona/Miller
                  Sato - Sacco - Cippollone - Cefalu

Gildon - Maass
                  Wyse - Freshman*
                  Boyd - Green/Verrier
                  Dawson - Nonis

Taylor or
                  Robinson
                  Lazzaro

* Chorney/Stephenson/Ferrandino
                  Last edited by Dan; 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

1.Werbik played major junior so not available.
                    2.They should have lots of money. The "fouth liners" who had no other offers really should not take too much money. So getting two late forwards and a D *should* (based on no actual knowledge) be feasible. Maybe the foreign transcripts and the unusual recruiting cycle explains the late availability. Look for them tomorrow because mid-week nso no USHL conflict. Wonder if Stutzle's teammate, somewhat highly ranked, is also interested.
                    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=238101

3.I think the only guy that high on Chanter/Marks/Vela was Borek/USHR. Chanter/Vela because of big bodies, and Marks was described as Laleggia lite, but his track record never matched up. 5 goals in midget is a tell.(Laleggia 22 goals, 95 points!!)
                    4.They were recruiting D, see below, so prob recognize the need for another D:
                    NZ: What other schools reached out to you in the NCAA recruiting process and where else did you go on visits?

SB: I talked to a few more Hockey East schools like UConn, Maine, New Hampshire and then there were a few other WCHA schools, but I just really wanted to stick to Hockey East. It’s a really good league and they move a lot of guys on. So that’s when I decided on UMass Lowell. When I went on my fly down, back a couple weeks ago, I went to UMass Lowell first and then I tied that in with going to UConn and when I came back I made my decision. I was happy with my decision and that’s how the process started right there.
                    with the money they should have, I would hope/expect they can see the need at D.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      1.Werbik played major junior so not available.
                      2.They should have lots of money. The "fouth liners" who had no other offers really should not take too much money. So getting two late forwards and a D *should* (based on no actual knowledge) be feasible. Maybe the foreign transcripts and the unusual recruiting cycle explains the late availability. Look for them tomorrow because mid-week nso no USHL conflict. Wonder if Stutzle's teammate, somewhat highly ranked, is also interested.
                      http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=238101

3.I think the only guy that high on Chanter/Marks/Vela was Borek/USHR. Chanter/Vela because of big bodies, and Marks was described as Laleggia lite, but his track record never matched up. 5 goals in midget is a tell.(Laleggia 22 goals, 95 points!!)
                      4.They were recruiting D, see below, so prob recognize the need for another D:

with the money they should have, I would hope/expect they can see the need at D.
                      I should have noticed that on Werbik - that's an unusual path MJ to USHL. I never expected it. You see it a lot with the BCHL, but not so much the USHL. There are two players at the top of the BCHL scoring race I wish UNH could grab who played MJ as well. I mentioned one at the time he left Surrey to head to the WHL, Ty Westgard. I recruited three teammates of his sister in softball and followed his sister for a while. What a missed opportunity for him. He can really move the puck. He's 14-50-64 (51 GP). His teammate in Surrey, John Wesley, has 35 goals.

I don't know what these kids are thinking sometimes - the MJ draw, I don't see it. UNH has to make sure that if Stutzle comes to NA he comes to the USHL and isn't tempted by the OHL...

The need on defense is SIGNIFICANT. Not just for next season's top-four, but also for the future. Gildon is unlikely to last more than two years - if he does stay for three or four its a huge bonus. Maass could be a departure after three seasons and Wyse graduates the same year. Green and Verrier are fine filling out a defense - they cannot be leading one. Which UML defensive recruit is that? Schulting?

I hope you are right about how much money they have available - and I hope they spend it. I fear that they may have overpaid on a lot of guys, simply because they had money to spend and holes to fill - at the top and bottom of the line-up. Many of whom were and are completely replaceable. Hopefully, you are correct in more than just theory - they shouldn't have much, but do they...??
                      Last edited by Dan; 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Barton
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Barton
                          So that was early last November - and four months later...? Hopefully, they're still on the case and looking for the right guy. This is where offering an '00 true freshman (or '99) and asking them to come play immediately, might pay big dividends. Did they offer Barton for this season or 2019, like Lowell...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

I don't know. Could be that they then moved on to McElhaney.

edit: But after pursuing Barton, Miller left UNH, so UNH would have more money available on D.
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-14-2018, 07:23 AM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

I don't know. Could be that they then moved on to McElhaney.
                              OK last question - what do you think of McElhaney. His career path, prep-school and scouting reports remind me of the last raw, late-blooming, offensive-defenseman (10-30-40 as a SR) from a sunny hometown they pulled out of Cushing. Do you see a higher ceiling/floor for McElhaney or is he version 2.0...??
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

The few clips I've seen have him very raw, running around all over the ice as a rover. I don't know how he'd fare in a more structured game. Haven't seen him beat any players one on one to judge his puck skills or even his skating.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X