This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Interesting that the new volunteer goalie coach is also a St.Sebastians alum.
    But, can he be effective with Skype? That is the big question.

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      I'm not here to tell fans how they should feel about the job performance of coaches but I'm simply stating it is unfair to criticize the effort put forth by Glenn Stewart and Mike Souza ... because Glenn is a good pal of mine from his Merrimack days, and both he and Mike have been and will be good sources for me going forwards.
      Just figured I'd flesh it out a little further for you there, Jeff.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Just figured I'd flesh it out a little further for you there, Jeff.
        Chuck and friends, it looks like the year will begin no matter what the feelings are. While much of the emotion on here is understandable, i can now announce the "horse" is officially dead! We all want the best recruits and can only hope that opportunity will open up for us and soon, but as for this year I am one of those in the minority that feels we will out perform the pundits predictions. I see a 7th place finish as possible and to answer someone who asked if anyone saw 200 points in the top 2 lines, let me say that I see 178+/- with decent 3rd line production. The d will remain a work in progress but also feel that the forwards need to be better 2 way players. An issue that has received little note on these threads. Team defense needs to be a focus.

As for DT..? guess we will have to wait and see. He is the most hot/cold goalie in recent memory. And yes he needs to be a bit less active and stay in the crease on those wild leaps.

And I love the exhibition game. Love to see the new kids, the returning guys and the banter on the boards between them.
        Go Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          Chuck and friends, it looks like the year will begin no matter what the feelings are. While much of the emotion on here is understandable, i can now announce the "horse" is officially dead! We all want the best recruits and can only hope that opportunity will open up for us and soon, but as for this year I am one of those in the minority that feels we will out perform the pundits predictions. I see a 7th place finish as possible and to answer someone who asked if anyone saw 200 points in the top 2 lines, let me say that I see 178+/- with decent 3rd line production. The d will remain a work in progress but also feel that the forwards need to be better 2 way players. An issue that has received little note on these threads. Team defense needs to be a focus.

As for DT..? guess we will have to wait and see. He is the most hot/cold goalie in recent memory. And yes he needs to be a bit less active and stay in the crease on those wild leaps.

And I love the exhibition game. Love to see the new kids, the returning guys and the banter on the boards between them.
          Go Cats!
          Hey love the optimism and look forward to discussing the team as we move forward! Keep it coming...glad the off season is almost over. Bring it!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post

Go Cats!
            Me two. Always.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

2016-17 Video Highlights for:

Max Gildon

Benton Maass

James Miller
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                2016-17 Video Highlights for:

Max Gildon

Benton Maass

James Miller
                Gildon's snipe ability will hopefully carry over to D1; very reminiscent of Pesce/TvR...hoping both he and Maas jump into the rush often as well as having obvious defensive capabilities. UNH simply must break out of that D malaise of too many SOG's (against of course...) Learning curve for sure with the D1 and we go right into the fire with UML! Miller looks talented as well. Think this is a nice Freshman group!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  "Kohei Sato's Long Journey From Tokyo to UNH"
                  Includes interview and video highlights
                  Mike
                  It appears that Kohei is no longer on the roster! Any idea as to why? Admissions? Another offer - full boat?
                  Man this stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Mike
                    It appears that Kohei is no longer on the roster! Any idea as to why? Admissions? Another offer - full boat?
                    Man this stinks.
                    I'm not sure this is a big loss (assuming he's indeed gone). My recollection is that he was a low-level prospect? Outlook was/is he probably would have developed into a useful spare part 3rd/4th liner with speed, at best.

It was a nice backstory, sure, but unless so-called diversity is driving your recruitment ... no big loss. JMHO.

Now just go out and get someone better to fill the spot for the future.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      Mike
                      Man this stinks.
                      Unfortunate if true - cause the kid could wheel and probably would have been fun to watch. But, no way he should have been more than a small partial...

Edit - unless you're asking if some other team offered him a better scholarship or a full-boat? I doubt that, too. Doing so when he's ON the UNH roster and at this time (even through a third party) would be a huge ethics/ncaa violation.

If he is gone - which he seems to be - I'd imagine there are personal reasons OR it was realized immediately he wasn't ready and he's heading back to juniors...

He never played high-level JR hockey and even his NAHL team was horrendous as a group. It's possible his speed is/will be his only true DI skill...
                      Last edited by Dan; 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Maybe the burden of being the Jackie Robinson of foreign players (OK, every other DI team has had one, so more like the Pumpsie Green of the Red Sox to Umile's Tom Yawkey)?

Dan, he's too old for juniors. Last year as a 20 year old overager was his first real hockey. From the clips, speed was his only skill.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          Maybe the burden of being the Jackie Robinson of foreign players (OK, every other DI team has had one, so more like the Pumpsie Green of the Red Sox to Umile's Tom Yawkey)?

Dan, he's too old for juniors. Last year as a 20 year old overager was his first real hockey. From the clips, speed was his only skill.
                          Well, then it's either a personal reason OR he's heading to a DIII opportunity, which is probably a better fit for him. Kalinowski went 14-24--38 for Endicott last season (24 GP) and he is probably a good comp for a Sato ceiling.

Sato landing a 3.75 rating from NZ is a huge indication that the site rates everyone well - likely out of necessity for clicks and subscriptions. And a red flag to take their rankings with a grain of salt. Not to beat a dead horse...
                          Last edited by Dan; 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Well, then it's either a personal reason OR he's heading to a DIII opportunity, which is probably a better fit for him. Kalinowski went 14-24--38 for Endicott last season (24 GP) and he is probably a good comp for a Sato ceiling.

Sato landing a 3.75 rating from NZ is a huge indication that the site rates everyone well - likely out of necessity for clicks and subscriptions. And a red flag to take their rankings with a grain of salt. Not to beat a dead horse...
                            UNH recruiting cupboards are beyond bare. Very fortunate/lucky that Gildon landed at UNH otherwise its not looking promising for the future. Zero 01's or 02's signed on. This isnt looking promising folks.

Comment

Neutral Zone Scouting Service Ratings of UNH 2017-18 class:
                              Gildon 4.75
                              Maass 3.75
                              Miller 3.75
                              Robinson 3.75
                              Kelleher 4.25
                              MacAdams 3.75
                              Sato 3.50
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                Neutral Zone Scouting Service Ratings of UNH 2017-18 class:
                                Gildon 4.75
                                Maass 3.75
                                Miller 3.75
                                Robinson 3.75
                                Kelleher 4.25
                                MacAdams 3.75
                                Sato 3.50
                                Is Sato still in the mix or not?
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X