This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    Max Gildon (D) selected in Round 3 (66th overall pick) by Florida Panthers. In the 2013 NHL Draft, Brett Pesce was selected 66th overall by Carolina Hurricanes.
    That is really cool that they have this in common; good Karma already! Congrats to Max!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Benton Maass (D) selected in Round 6 (182nd Overall) by Washington Capitals.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Benton Maass (D) selected in Round 6 (182nd Overall) by Washington Capitals.
        Wow awesome!! That bumps up our draft picks on the roster...congrats Benton!!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=C-H-C;6503590]Benton Maass (D) selected in Round 6 (182nd Overall) by Washington Capitals

UNH Capitol Hill with Winnik, if it ever comes to that. Will give me a reason to head to the Verizon Center.

He'll be able to play in front of fans who still confuse offsides with icing.
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            Max Gildon (D) selected in Round 3 (66th overall pick) by Florida Panthers. In the 2013 NHL Draft, Brett Pesce was selected 66th overall by Carolina Hurricanes.
            2001 NHL Draft Eddie Caron selected in Round 2 (52nd overall pick) by Edmonton Oilers. In the 2003 NHL Draft John Doherty was selected 57th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

[QUOTE=wildcatdc;6503613]
              Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Benton Maass (D) selected in Round 6 (182nd Overall) by Washington Capitals

UNH Capitol Hill with Winnik, if it ever comes to that. Will give me a reason to head to the Verizon Center.

He'll be able to play in front of fans who still confuse offsides with icing.
              It's not the same?
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Newly drafted UNH Dman Max Gildon on becoming a Fla Panther: (second interview)

http://tinyurl.com/ycraozoc
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                  Perhaps it is related. The roster page is empty as I assume they are making the updates now. I guess we will know for sure once the roster page goes back up.
                  New roster is up....looks like the 'Cats are going to keep nine D-men on the roster, including Boyd :

http://www.unhwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
                  UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    New roster is up....looks like the 'Cats are going to keep nine D-men on the roster, including Boyd :

Thanks for posting. Nice photos. Unlike UMass, UNH does not pull support midway, is my read. And, Buck is still listed as goaltender coach; continued moonlighting via Skype?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I saw it was up Saturday night, It looks like they pulled the seniors and added the freshmen. I'm curious as to whether any departures other than seniors (Lazzaro/Boyd) would have been noted at this point and therefore removed. While Lazzaro is a non scholly guy has there ever been a time that the hockey team has carried 4 goalies on the roster? I hope that Boyd is available and well, seeing him still listed at this point is a plus.

Comment

I'm mildly surprised to see Clark is still listed on the roster.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

From an interview with Max Gildon at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft:

"UNH is a great program with a lot of history behind it," Gildon said. "I feel I can help them get back to the top. There's a great group of players and coaches around that program. I'm hoping I can contribute to what they already have started there."
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

With the U15 National Camp wrapping up over the past few days lets hope that UNH jumps on some of these 02' blue chips. Commesso was the lone UNH commit there and unofficially the stats sent to me he finished as the top goaltender with a 0.80GAA and a .976 save percentage and gave up one goal in 3 games. Filthy. Nows the time to be aggressive and go land some more 02 players!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              With the U15 National Camp wrapping up over the past few days lets hope that UNH jumps on some of these 02' blue chips. Commesso was the lone UNH commit there and unofficially the stats sent to me he finished as the top goaltender with a 0.80GAA and a .976 save percentage and gave up one goal in 3 games. Filthy. Nows the time to be aggressive and go land some more 02 players!
                              Commesso was undoubtedly best G at National Camp.
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                                With the U15 National Camp wrapping up over the past few days lets hope that UNH jumps on some of these 02' blue chips.
                                I think, entering Mike's third year, it will be interesting to see if his recruiting has or will evolve once he can claw the reins out of Dick's clenched hands. Are the first two years of minimal recruiting of blue chippahs the product of his own philosophy, or the vaccum when Borek left and the anchor of Dickie weighing it down? In thinking about this question while tossing and turning at 2 am, I was reminded about why I have such antipathy toward Dick. He certainly would not know the Select festival or its participants if he happened to stumble into the rink by accident.

So, forgive my sleep deprived response:

Souza clearly stays away from pursuing blue chips (Commesso being the sole exception). His most notable recruits were late de-commits elsewhere (Wyse, Gildon) or late bloomers (Maass). Those actually are his most promising ones, so it may be that he prefers waiting. A bit risky that enough talent will percolate late, but lets see. The rest of his recruits are not 15 or 16 year olds, but the 17 -18 year old grouping of interesting but not blue chippahs (Sweeney, Wazny, Pierson, Bahn, Green, Verrier, MacAdams).

So, early recruiting

1. It is needed to get elite players. No doubt jumping early has a mixed rate, and you can see from the kids shed by North Dakota and BU, I (and Dan?) believe this is necessary to get top talent. (Sadly, UNH got the worst of the early recruiting, with Borek taking the kids who panned out -- Farabee and Ryczek, and leaving for UNH the unpleasant to cut loose those who didn't -- O'Neill, Darcy, Cipollone (Esposito?). Even the late de-commits have too many options, like Biro and Limoges who went to Penn State

2. Pursuing early blue chippahs has further importance because it sends a signal of desirabilty to other recruits, who want to be deemed a blue chippah and want to know that your program will go after them.

All of the top programs do it, and those that didn't because they initially lacked the cred (Penn State, Quinnipiac) started to do so as soon as their reputation allowed it. It creates a buzz amoung the age group, and creates momentum. The only exception is Lowell, which does not seek those early commits.

So, until UNH gets new cred to do it by having the team incrementally improve (and thereby become a name), or a new recruiter (who may take more chances in that age group), they really would be limited to the riskier sub-blue chippah 15 or 16 market in which there are lots of flameouts.

BTW, I see Northeastern just got a 15 year old from Berwick Academy who was at the Select 15 tourney. Not a blue chippah, but they're comfortable in that market.

Lemonade, I'm glad you are thinking about the 02s. Commesso may have to do a lot of heavy lifting on his age group, because UNH has a lot working against it right now.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-21-2017, 05:39 AM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X