This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

The kid hasn't even arrived (or been drafted) yet, and we're already discussing anticipated early departure.

For all we know, Glidon might not even be the best frosh defenseman arriving on campus this coming Fall.

I can't speak for others, but I will say this ... winning UNH a D-1 title in a year or two, I'd be the kid's biggest fan, even if he were to leave the day after the Frozen Four to go play for the Wheeling Nailers on a tryout deal.

Just win everything - or bust a gut trying - and I can be a very understanding person. Is that so wrong?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      The kid hasn't even arrived (or been drafted) yet, and we're already discussing anticipated early departure.

For all we know, Glidon might not even be the best frosh defenseman arriving on campus this coming Fall.

I can't speak for others, but I will say this ... winning UNH a D-1 title in a year or two, I'd be the kid's biggest fan, even if he were to leave the day after the Frozen Four to go play for the Wheeling Nailers on a tryout deal.

Just win everything - or bust a gut trying - and I can be a very understanding person. Is that so wrong?
      Of course, totally agree. It was just the "long strides" thing that rang off the crossbar for me.

Comment

Prospect Spotlight: Mike Robinson
        by Jonathan Wold / sjsharks.com
        April 5th, 2017

Developing goaltenders is a long-term project. Unlike some skaters who can make a sudden impact in the NHL at 18 or 19, goalies tend to take longer to mature. Look at the Barracuda's Troy Grosenick for example - all of a sudden, he's turned into the AHL's best goaltender at the age of 27. That's also the same age Sharks netminder Aaron Dell made his NHL debut this year.
        Sharks prospect Mike Robinson (@mike32robinson) hopes to be the next in a long line of success stories, even if it takes a little while.
        Robinson is committed to play for University of New Hampshire Wildcats in the 2017-18 season. He was originally going to become a Wildcat this year, but after suffering a wrist injury, Robinson decided to wait a year before enrolling at UNH.
        In the meantime, he started the season with the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League. After a rough couple of games, he has seemed to find his footing with the Springfield Jr. Blues of the North American Hockey League, where he's become the starter and leads the team in wins.
        The Sharks selected Robinson out of high school in the 3rd round (86th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft after playing with Lawrence Academy and the Boston Jr. Bruins. Despite just turning 20 last week, the netminder is already listed at 6'3" and 197 pounds.
        "The Bedford, NH native is a big goaltender who impresses scouts with his size and fundamentals. He's not overly athletic, quick or agile, but he is technically sound. He does a nice job squaring up to and challenging shooters and he covers a lot of the net with his big frame." - SBN College Hockey
        Positioning and tracking the puck are big parts of Robinson's game. "You want your nose to the glove and to watch the puck go into the glove," Robinson said to Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News. "You focus in on the puck instead of just blocking it."
        He's getting no shortage of shots to practice stopping with the Jr. Blues this season. In 24 games, Robinson has had to face 40 or more shots in 7 games. In just his 4th game in Springfield, he had a 50-save performance.
        For goaltenders, development requires a lot of repetition. With potentially 4 years of college hockey ahead of him, Robinson still has the opportunity to continue honing his craft before hopefully making his NHL dreams come true down the line.

Comment

"The Bedford, NH native is a big goaltender who impresses scouts with his size and fundamentals. He's not overly athletic, quick or agile, but he is technically sound. He does a nice job squaring up to and challenging shooters and he covers a lot of the net with his big frame." - SBN College Hockey

Well, that oughta make a few folks on this board very happy. I know I'm giddy with delight.

At least he can keep the crease warm 'til Vince Wilfork retires, and goes looking for a new challenge.

Comment

Yeah you can definitely teach/coach athletic and quickness...
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Well, that oughta make a few folks on this board very happy. I know I'm giddy with delight.

At least he can keep the crease warm 'til Vince Wilfork retires, and goes looking for a new challenge.
              Me, too. All that and from Bedford, NH!

Long term goodness is my buddy sells beer where the Sharks play so he makes more dough when the Sharks go deep in the playoffs!
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                Yeah you can definitely teach/coach athletic and quickness...
                I absolutely cringe when I read "He's not overly athletic, quick or agile"….that to me means that he was drafted just because he is a tall kid that plays goalie. That being said I think he will be a better alternative than Tirone and will keep the net occupied until 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  I absolutely cringe when I read "He's not overly athletic, quick or agile"….that to me means that he was drafted just because he is a tall kid that plays goalie. That being said I think he will be a better alternative than Tirone and will keep the net occupied until 2020.
                  Great post; I hope he gets his shot sooner than later. Obviously the Sharks see something in him and when was the last time a UNH goalie has been drafted??
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

From Ryan Kennedy, associate senior writer and draft/prospect expert at The Hockey News:

"With his big frame and athleticism, Robinson can stump shooters in a lot of ways"
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I think at a minimum that Robinson will be a prototype goalie build/style to push Tirone. Tirones size and style are more liken to Tim Thomas and I am not sure that style suits todays college hockey style. UNH would greatly benefit from better goaltending and a better defense. Tirone wasnt awful but there is room for improvement in the goaltending position and I think Souza has also recognized that with his aggressive recruiting of that position. Building from that back out.
                      Last edited by Lemonade; 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        I think at a minimum that Robinson will be a prototype goalie build/style to push Tirone. Tirones size and style are more liken to Tim Thomas and I am not sure that style suits todays college hockey style. UNH would greatly benefit from better goaltending and a better defense. Tirone wasnt awful but there is room for improvement in the goaltending position and I think Souza has also recognized that with his aggressive recruiting of that position. Building from that back out.
                        I did not realize that the college game had changed so much that DT might be compared to TT, who had a couple of fairly decent years tending goal at the Gutt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          I did not realize that the college game had changed so much that DT might be compared to TT, who had a couple of fairly decent years tending goal at the Gutt.
                          LOL. Pretty awful comparison by me looking back at it. I intended to compare Tirones style (unconventional, smaller size) to another goalie and I had to really delve back into the memory bank to find one that plays that type of style. College/NHL goalies are now 6'2+, butterfly and very structured which leads to more consistent save percentages for the most part. We have seen Tirone stand on his head and then look awful - wide swings in his level of play due to his style. When he is on he is ON. When he is OFF he is OFF. Being a bigger and more prototypical goalie would be more consistent in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            From Ryan Kennedy, associate senior writer and draft/prospect expert at The Hockey News:

"With his big frame and athleticism, Robinson can stump shooters in a lot of ways"
                            That Hockey News report is almost two years old. Apparently his athleticism has slipped since he left prep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              That Hockey News report is almost two years old. Apparently his athleticism has slipped since he left prep.
                              Maybe he has been working on being less athletic?

Comment

The SB Nation College Hockey article that described Robinson as "not overly athletic, quick or agile" was also written two years ago. To some extent, athleticism is in the eye of the beholder. Fans who attend games over the next few seasons will get to see for themselves.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X