This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Just read UNH has new commit in Zack Jones of the Boston Bandits...According to Mark Bilotta:

01 F Zack Jones (UNH) is shifty, cunning and aggressive in his offensive approach. Sharp edges and sharper determination are keys to his success. 5’9 scoring machine for @BostonBandits U16 squad (53 points in 26 games this season).

Is this player coming next year? Any feedback other than this? Looks like he can put the puck in the net..
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Just read UNH has new commit in Zack Jones of the Boston Bandits...According to Mark Bilotta:

01 F Zack Jones (UNH) is shifty, cunning and aggressive in his offensive approach. Sharp edges and sharper determination are keys to his success. 5’9 scoring machine for @BostonBandits U16 squad (53 points in 26 games this season).

Is this player coming next year? Any feedback other than this? Looks like he can put the puck in the net..
      Heisenberg's site lists him as 2020 or 2021.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Heisenberg's site lists him as 2020 or 2021.
        Thanks for the info! Initial thought was not for next season..

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Thanks for the info! Initial thought was not for next season..
          http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=290188

Comment

"Ty Taylor: Top Goalie in BCHL Commits to UNH"
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

great article! The 'coincidences' of the name, coupled with his coach...have to be fate! #Destiny

Comment

Interesting to see the player crediting Brian Foster as one of the key factors in deciding to come to UNH.

Can we rule out the possibility of two (2) new hires, with Umile AND Stewart not returning next season?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Interesting to see the player crediting Brian Foster as one of the key factors in deciding to come to UNH.

Can we rule out the possibility of two (2) new hires, with Umile AND Stewart not returning next season?
                  Why not? He hasn't said he IS returning.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Accolades for our incoming goalie Ty Taylor as he's top goalie in the BCHL! Looking forward to his arrival in Durham; nice job Ty!

http://bchl.ca/the-votes-are-in

Comment

aylor top BCHL crease cop

Kevin Mitchell

March 2, 2018

Ty Taylor has no problem protecting the 72-inch wide by 48-inch high dimensions of a hockey goal area for the Vernon Vipers.

He likes the small surface and found a similar love of the University of New Hampshire when in Durham on a flydown a couple of weeks ago. He toured the campus, met a few ex-Vipers like Dylan Chanter, Joe Sacco and Michael McNicholas, and soon committed with the Hockey East Huskies for next NCAA season.

“I loved it; it was awesome,” said Taylor, of New Hampshire. “There is nothing I can complain about. It’s a smaller campus, but there’s a lot in it. It’s not all spread out. I like that.”

Taylor, 18, of Richmond, also toured the Boston University Terriers’ compound and listened to scholarship offers from the Arizona State Sun Devils in Tempe.

Associate Wildcat coaches Mike Souza and Glenn Stewart both spent time courting the 6-foot-3 200-pounder on visits to Vernon. Souza takes over from current head coach Dick Umile, in his 27th season, next year.

“They have one freshman (San Jose Sharks’ draft Mike Robinson), who has got in six games) and they expect me to come in and fight for the job,” said Taylor. “I’m going to work my hardest and hope I win it.”

Taylor enjoyed a phenomenal sophomore season and was Wednesday honoured as winner of the league’s Top Goaltender Award. Taylor and teammate Anthony Yamnitsky also took the Wally Forslund Trophy (Top Goalie Tandem, 1.98 combined GAA).

Unlike last year, the Goaltending Award was voted on this time. In the past, it simply went to the goalie with the lowest goals-against average and 1,000 minutes played.

Taylor posted a 22-5-3 record with a minuscule 1.83 GAA and .932 save percentage.

“I’m really happy with the award,” said the humble Taylor, who sees the Vipers going on a lengthy playoff run. “I’m really thankful for my teammates, who helped me out all year. Anthony and I have a really good rapport. We push each other and support each other. He’s a good friend.”

Taylor also tied a league record with seven shutouts, joining Michael Garteig and Brad Thiessen. Garteig posted seven shutouts in the 2010-11 season with the Powell River Kings, while Thiessen had seven clean sheets in the 2005-06 season split between Merritt Centennials and Prince George Spruce Kings.

Taylor said a second go-round in the best Junior A league in the country helped him “know what to expect and understand what’s going to happen.”

He added: “Knowing the league a bit better and having a little more confidence helps you. It’s going to be the same in college. I know, if you have a bad night in this league, you’re gonna probably lose.”

Viper head coach Mark Ferner knew he was getting a big, athletic goaltender when he recruited him. He also got a level-headed, competitive young man from a good family.

“He’s got all the make-up to be a good college goalie,” said Ferner. “Being chosen Best Goaltender is well deserved. I know the group in front of him have done a good job, but they (Taylor and Yamnitsky) did their part too.”
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

"Associate Wildcat coaches Mike Souza and Glenn Stewart both spent time courting the 6-foot-3 200-pounder on visits to Vernon."

Well, that's a leg up over the soon to be retired head coach. Is there any evidence that Umile ever made a trip to the BCHL? I never heard him mention it in all those years when Krog, the Hemingways, and Matile were headed to Durham.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/chrisdilks/status/969612071435362304

Here's a young forward to take a chance on 'early' - as not a true FR, rather a 17 year old FR. A full ride should be offered today (for next year) if it hasn't already...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=305432
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              "Associate Wildcat coaches Mike Souza and Glenn Stewart both spent time courting the 6-foot-3 200-pounder on visits to Vernon."

Well, that's a leg up over the soon to be retired head coach. Is there any evidence that Umile ever made a trip to the BCHL? I never heard him mention it in all those years when Krog, the Hemingways, and Matile were headed to Durham.
                              Yeah. Nice also to see we won over on BU!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                aylor top BCHL crease cop

Kevin Mitchell

March 2, 2018

Ty Taylor has no problem protecting the 72-inch wide by 48-inch high dimensions of a hockey goal area for the Vernon Vipers.

He likes the small surface and found a similar love of the University of New Hampshire when in Durham on a flydown a couple of weeks ago. He toured the campus, met a few ex-Vipers like Dylan Chanter, Joe Sacco and Michael McNicholas, and soon committed with the Hockey East Huskies for next NCAA season.

“I loved it; it was awesome,” said Taylor, of New Hampshire. “There is nothing I can complain about. It’s a smaller campus, but there’s a lot in it. It’s not all spread out. I like that.”

Taylor, 18, of Richmond, also toured the Boston University Terriers’ compound and listened to scholarship offers from the Arizona State Sun Devils in Tempe.

Associate Wildcat coaches Mike Souza and Glenn Stewart both spent time courting the 6-foot-3 200-pounder on visits to Vernon. Souza takes over from current head coach Dick Umile, in his 27th season, next year.

“They have one freshman (San Jose Sharks’ draft Mike Robinson), who has got in six games) and they expect me to come in and fight for the job,” said Taylor. “I’m going to work my hardest and hope I win it.”

Taylor enjoyed a phenomenal sophomore season and was Wednesday honoured as winner of the league’s Top Goaltender Award. Taylor and teammate Anthony Yamnitsky also took the Wally Forslund Trophy (Top Goalie Tandem, 1.98 combined GAA).

Unlike last year, the Goaltending Award was voted on this time. In the past, it simply went to the goalie with the lowest goals-against average and 1,000 minutes played.

Taylor posted a 22-5-3 record with a minuscule 1.83 GAA and .932 save percentage.

“I’m really happy with the award,” said the humble Taylor, who sees the Vipers going on a lengthy playoff run. “I’m really thankful for my teammates, who helped me out all year. Anthony and I have a really good rapport. We push each other and support each other. He’s a good friend.”

Taylor also tied a league record with seven shutouts, joining Michael Garteig and Brad Thiessen. Garteig posted seven shutouts in the 2010-11 season with the Powell River Kings, while Thiessen had seven clean sheets in the 2005-06 season split between Merritt Centennials and Prince George Spruce Kings.

Taylor said a second go-round in the best Junior A league in the country helped him “know what to expect and understand what’s going to happen.”

He added: “Knowing the league a bit better and having a little more confidence helps you. It’s going to be the same in college. I know, if you have a bad night in this league, you’re gonna probably lose.”

Viper head coach Mark Ferner knew he was getting a big, athletic goaltender when he recruited him. He also got a level-headed, competitive young man from a good family.

“He’s got all the make-up to be a good college goalie,” said Ferner. “Being chosen Best Goaltender is well deserved. I know the group in front of him have done a good job, but they (Taylor and Yamnitsky) did their part too.”
                                ".....and soon committed with the Hockey East Huskies for next NCAA season." Huh? We are the WILDCATS, Kevin Mitchell, the fierce and fearsome Wildcats!

Comment

Working...
                                X