This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Very interesting indeed. Agree it's surprising to me also only one Norwegian has hit the NHL century mark. It is surprising to me five Danes have hit the mark. I would have thought it would be zero. I think the Danes are much more known for speed skating but I might be wrong about that. I thought the Vikings were from Norway too until I watched a Netflix original called the last Kingdom which was about the English King Alfred. Jolly old AL had to deal with Viking invaders who were Danes. I have a notion that the term Viking is a generic term and not specific to one Scandinavian country.
    Right-o. Vikings originated from Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, and then used Iceland as a base for settling Greenland, and even northern Newfoundland (Lan'se Meadows) for 30 years, and maybe they even wintered over on Cape Cod (still debated). Two summers ago, I spend a couple weeks doing paleoclimatological research at Erik the Red's Western Settlement in southern Greenland (he and his entourage set up villages there beginning in 1000 CE), and the place is really green today, as the locals now harvest two to three crops of "hay" each year. By comparison, northern Newfoundland is not as fertile today, but the site is spectacular and I got to see why Erik and his folks spent about 30 years there.

Not only have the Swedes had many more productive NHL players than their Scandinavian neighbors, but they gave us Ingemar Stenmark, whose record 86 World Cup alpine skiing wins may not be overtaken by American Lindsey Vonn, who stands at 82 wins, but now must compete with young upstart American Mikaela Schriffin.

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

"Physical Defenseman Will MacKinnon Commits to UNH"
      Includes interview and video highlights.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        "Physical Defenseman Will MacKinnon Commits to UNH"
        Includes interview and video highlights.
        Such a great addition to the D !!! Are we still looking for one more? What is UNH's most pressing need right here, right now? (player wise) Obviously there's some recruiting that needs to continue...
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Jets face elimination game against Golden Knights in Winnipeg tomorrow; why does that matter to UNH recruiting?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Jets face elimination game against Golden Knights in Winnipeg tomorrow; why does that matter to UNH recruiting?
            I'm not sure it does? Seems like Souza and Stewart are doing more in the last few weeks than they did during the season.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Such a great addition to the D !!! Are we still looking for one more? What is UNH's most pressing need right here, right now? (player wise) Obviously there's some recruiting that needs to continue...
              It depends on who you ask and how you look at it. There is legitimacy to the idea that they need another D since they're are only set to have seven on the roster.

However it is offensively where they can still grab significant and meaningful upgrades in terms of the actual lineup they put on the ice. And that is where I would prefer they look. They really should be making a meaningful play for Weiss above all right now...

All that said - there is still a lot of work to do (as you noted) so they're probably best suited to be taking best player available for the present and the future. The most talented kids that want to come to UNH should be their main targets. At the same time, I would hate to see them waste money on mediocre kids who don't upgrade the roster significantly. If that's all they're finding, then save that money for the future...

Potential true freshmen they could target early remain on D in DJ King and Ferrandino. Stephenson is a nice older defender in the BCHL. Offensively, the aforementioned BU decommit Weiss, Valach (USHL), Glassman (BCHL) and Brar (BCHL - another DU decommit) are among the names available still. There are also going to be new coaches at DU* and BU (come home JF and DC!) and there is certainly plenty of talent in those classes worth contacting/keeping an eye on in case of new direction by coaches to be...

* Further recruiting upheaval at DU would be unlikely if they end up hiring Carle...
              Last edited by Dan; 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

The Neutral Zone site is showing forward Aidan Curran as a UNH recruit for 2019.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...3/aidan-curran

Comment

Newest #UNHCommit #AidanCurran, as a member of the NH Jr Monarchs, was a @USPHL U16 All Star last Jan. Just selected to attend @usahockey Selects 17 Camp this summer. https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...3/aidan-curran

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    Newest #UNHCommit #AidanCurran, as a member of the NH Jr Monarchs, was a @USPHL U16 All Star last Jan. Just selected to attend @usahockey Selects 17 Camp this summer. https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...3/aidan-curran
                    Thanks Mike, and Boblav. Cool; right-handed shot; can he play center?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Thanks Mike, and Boblav. Cool; right-handed shot; can he play center?
                      Yes, Aidan Curran plays center. Neutral Zone scouting service posted this tweet yesterday:
                      "3.75 ⭐️ prospect has accelleration, pace & agility to fit the big sheet in Durham. Elusive on the rush & makes D miss in space with speed or slick stick. Energy, compete and skill."

Comment

• The hunt for Luke Hughes is over before it starts. Following Big Bro to Michigan.
                        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

"Filip EngarĂ¥s: UNH Hockey's First Swedish Player"
                          Includes video highlights and an interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            "Filip EngarĂ¥s: UNH Hockey's First Swedish Player"
                            Includes video highlights and an interview.
                            Very cool story especially with Souza going there to visit him!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Very cool story especially with Souza going there to visit him!
                              HR, totally agree, nice to know that we have a travel budget and that pays off. I liked the video, played well all over the ice and is not afraid to carry it to the net...and score! I am sending out a big welcome to Filip (looks like he may be reading about us) and venture to say that we will have a mutually good time the next 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                HR, totally agree, nice to know that we have a travel budget and that pays off. I liked the video, played well all over the ice and is not afraid to carry it to the net...and score! I am sending out a big welcome to Filip (looks like he may be reading about us) and venture to say that we will have a mutually good time the next 4 years.
                                yep! Nice to see they are getting out of the country. Now...bring on the new assistant coach please!

Comment

Working...
                                X