This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

2 UNH commits in top 10 for USHL Phase II rankings among prep and high school:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-dugan-verrier
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

"UNH Commits Update: April-28-2017"

Player Spotlight on Max Gildon, Charlie Kelleher, Benton Maass, and Ryan Verrier.
      Includes video highlights of all four.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to pull all of this together. I look forward to each post as it keeps me in the loop on current stats etc.
        On and up!

Comment

2018 or 19 UNH Commit Ryan Verrier (D) drafted by Green Bay Gamblers in 2nd Round (24th overall) in USHL Draft.
          Last edited by C-H-C; 05-02-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

UNH's newest commit Jackson Pierson (F, Culver Academy) also drafted by Green Bay Gamblers - 9th Round (139th overall) in USHL Draft. Feature profile on Pierson coming this week on the blog.

And 2018 Commit Angus Crookshank (F, Langley Rivermen) drafted by Lincoln Stars (Anthony Wyse's former team) - 11th Round, 170th overall.
            Last edited by C-H-C; 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

"Culver Academy's Jackson Pierson Commits to UNH"

Includes an interview and video highlights.

Comment

From Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                Top 6 USA '02s: Fs Antonio Stranges (UM), Ty Smilanic (DU), Jason Siedem (BC), Ds Jacob Truscott (UM), Daniel Juzych, G Drew Commesso (UNH)

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  From Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
                  Top 6 USA '02s: Fs Antonio Stranges (UM), Ty Smilanic (DU), Jason Siedem (BC), Ds Jacob Truscott (UM), Daniel Juzych, G Drew Commesso (UNH)
                  Wow, that is really impressive. Looking forward to his arrival in Durham.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Wow, that is really impressive. Looking forward to his arrival in Durham.
                    !!!! I know right!!!!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Nice to see UNH mentioned - need some more talent coming!!!

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...er-development

Comment

• Re James Miller
                        Confirmed returnees include goalie Nolan Hildebrand, defencemen Jonny Tychonick, James Miller, Joe Leahy and Kenny Johnson, and forwards Owen Sillinger, Taylor Ward, Grant Cruikshank, Jared Nash, Cassidy Bowes, Massimo Rizzo, Turner Ripplinger and Matt Gosiewski.

Defenceman Sam Rossini and forwards Chris Klack, Jamie Armstrong and Ty Amonte could return depending on the university programs they’re committed to. Aside from the graduating 20-year-olds, only defenceman Griffin Mendel (Denver) is definitely heading to university this fall.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

James Miller's 2017 playoff stats:
                          BCHL Playoffs: 21 games, 7 assists
                          Western Canada Cup: 6 games, 3 assists
                          RBC Cup: 5 games, 1 assist

He turns 20 on February 20, 2018. He signed a National Letter of Intent with UNH in November, 2016.
                          Last edited by C-H-C; 05-28-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

The reality is that 10 D-men on the roster is not going to work. You are not going to defer Maass or Gildon and Darcy has to come this year. Probably disappointing to Miller but he is on a strong junior team and has a shot at a starting spot as a freshman with two spots opening after next season (Marks/Chanter). Hopefully he takes advantage of the situation and ends up better for it. I know deferrals around here (with good reason) are not well received but if everyone is on the same page (Coaches/Miller) then there is not a lot to worry about here.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                              The reality is that 10 D-men on the roster is not going to work. You are not going to defer Maass or Gildon and Darcy has to come this year. Probably disappointing to Miller but he is on a strong junior team and has a shot at a starting spot as a freshman with two spots opening after next season (Marks/Chanter). Hopefully he takes advantage of the situation and ends up better for it. I know deferrals around here (with good reason) are not well received but if everyone is on the same page (Coaches/Miller) then there is not a lot to worry about here.
                              There's very much a question mark on whether there would be 10 D-men on the roster, even if Miller is not deferred. Boyd remains a huge question mark, and Nonis remains the sparest of spare parts. If Miller wants to come and compete this Fall, then why not? At worst he burns his frosh year of eligibility ... if he gets caught in a depth issue, and realizes the situation early enough, then maybe he becomes a Knodel or Agosta where he does a virtual red shirt year on campus, practices regularly with the team, and is set to hit the ground running in Fall '18?

But as you say ... if Miller is willing to wait, and the coaches have prepared him that this might be his best option to play regularly next season, then no one gets hurt, he doesn't decommit, and there is not a lot to worry about.

Realistically, I'm FAR more worried about the trickle-down impact a 3rd pairing senior captain who struggled to get out of the stands until early in his junior year might have on slowing up the development of more talented and promising youngsters, at least one of whom will be impacted by this latest, most curious of leadership decisions within the UNH program.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I'm approaching it where I do not see Miller as a sure fire starter this season (debatable, but that's my realistic approach based on how UNH handles playing time). I know there are doubts but Chanter was coming into his own last season with an increased role. I think he is worthy of a spot in the bottom four defensively based on what little I know about the incoming group. I do not fear that his having the "C" is indication that he will be thrust into a top pairing role that he is not prepared for (I will say I would not be surprised to see the coaches try it though See: Gaudreault, Maxim; Smith, Kyle; and MacDonald, Collin).

I can see the idea of the "virtual redshirt" being a positive as well, but it does not sound like Miller is so far above his competition in the BCHL that he would not benefit from actual playing time in that league. In that case, I would think the full BCHL season worth of playing time would be more beneficial. It's a thin line to walk, UNH has a signed NLI in their hand which plays in their favor. As long as there is an understanding in place that prevents a decommit, I do not see an issue with it.

And yes, I understand the fact that 10 is not likely the number to start the season. Miller seeming to be staying in the BCHL puts us at 9 and Boyd is a question mark with his constant health issues. Either way, we went from having to play Joe Sacco at defense to having a bit of a logjam with incoming blueliners. If there are too many bodies and one of your players will accept a deferral without decommiting (again, not going to be Maass or Gildon) then why not try it.
                                Last edited by deltabravo62; 05-29-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X