This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

2019 UNH commit Marek Wazny tallies 4 goals in 4 games at Troy, Michigan Tier 1 Elite U16 Showcase.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Nice positive start to new thread; thanks, Mike!

Comment

"UNH Commits Update: December-22-2016"
      Player Spotlight on Marek Wazny and Drew Commesso

Comment

2018 commit Corson Green will play in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game next Tuesday:

http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.co...rer_id=2528825

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
          2018 commit Corson Green will play in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game next Tuesday:

http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.co...rer_id=2528825
          Sounds promising; will arrive at age 19?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Sounds promising; will arrive at age 19?
            Green turns 18 this March. He said in our interview last April that he plans to graduate from high school in June 2017 and enroll at UNH in Fall 2018.

In the latest NHL CSS Players to Watch list, Green was identified as a 'C' prospect - a 4th/5th/6th round candidate in the 2017 NHL Draft (also in June). If he gets drafted by a NHL club, they will have an opinion about what's best for his development. It's likely that one topic of discussion, for all involved parties, would be whether to make the jump from the Chicago Steel (USHL) to UNH in the Fall of 2017 or 2018.

Green is a left-shot defenseman. UNH will lose 2 left-shot defensemen - Matias Cleland and Dylan Maller - to graduation this spring. UNH commits James Miller and Liam Darcy are both left-shot defensemen and have a target to enroll next fall. It will be interesting to see if Green's enrollment is moved up to Fall 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Green turns 18 this March. He said in our interview last April that he plans to graduate from high school in June 2017 and enroll at UNH in Fall 2018.

In the latest NHL CSS Players to Watch list, Green was identified as a 'C' prospect - a 4th/5th/6th round candidate in the 2017 NHL Draft (also in June). If he gets drafted by a NHL club, they will have an opinion about what's best for his development. It's likely that one topic of discussion, for all involved parties, would be whether to make the jump from the Chicago Steel (USHL) to UNH in the Fall of 2017 or 2018.

Green is a left-shot defenseman. UNH will lose 2 left-shot defensemen - Matias Cleland and Dylan Maller - to graduation this spring. UNH commits James Miller and Liam Darcy are both left-shot defensemen and have a target to enroll next fall. It will be interesting to see if Green's enrollment is moved up to Fall 2017.
              Good stuff, Mike. Maybe Green shows up in Durham this fall; that would be cool to have an 18 yo freshman.

Comment

Good stuff, Mike. Maybe Green shows up in Durham this fall; that would be cool to have an 18 yo freshman.
                That would be awesome if he is ready; we are in need of Dmen for sure.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I'd like to see this, personally. There's not a lot left on the blue line after Cleland and Maller leave, and even if you concede that guys like Dawson and Wyse have the potential to work up to top pairing status in the future (and putting aside potential, that very well could be the reality of the situation next season), the quality of depth after them is light, to say the least. Green could fill a need while still developing, and then afterwards it's the Souza era full stop, so I expect recruiting to be a lot "cleaner" for incoming prospects, without the awkward Umile-Souza transition thing to cloud the outlook. Good call, Snively65.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    I'd like to see this, personally. There's not a lot left on the blue line after Cleland and Maller leave, and even if you concede that guys like Dawson and Wyse have the potential to work up to top pairing status in the future (and putting aside potential, that very well could be the reality of the situation next season), the quality of depth after them is light, to say the least. Green could fill a need while still developing, and then afterwards it's the Souza era full stop, so I expect recruiting to be a lot "cleaner" for incoming prospects, without the awkward Umile-Souza transition thing to cloud the outlook. Good call, Snively65.
                    If Green does get drafted, Mike has a point that he (Green) will be given the nod to either enroll at UNH, or continue in the USHL (or wherever he is at the time?). If he doesn't get drafted, I wouldn't be surprised if UNH defers him another year. Seems to be the track record unless I am mistaken. Should he come next season if he's ready? ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY. Surely (and this is purely speculation as I haven't seen him skate) he is as good as what we currently have now, and coming in. Seems to me this has to be a decent gamble worthwhile taking given the circumstances...
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Green is incredibly raw. He has a lot of physical skills, size being one (and a big part of the NHL interest), and his pick up in play is positive - his foot speed seemed to have him taking a lot of holding/hooking penalties earlier this year. However, his learning is aided by being in a good situation on the top USHL team where he can complement the stars on the team. I suspect he is not ready to be an impact kid enough to save 2017-18, which is going to be a long rebuilding year with Kelleher and Cleland departing. I would leave it to him, but see a big benefit to a second year in the USHL being a potential all-star, and then being closer to ready in 2018. Putting a kid into a tough team situation of learning defense at a higher level where he is already going to struggle is not all that positive.

Now, about that Commesso. I see from his twitter feed that he retweeted the U.Miami quarterback's quote about coming to U.Miami to build the team. I'm glad that's his perspective, otherwise offers from BC and BU could be tempting down the road. i can see him as a building block to signal other recruits (and will be interested how many Liams from his team would join Liam Blackburn and Liam Darcy at UNH). Let's see if Wazny and Commesso can create some momentum in the next couple of months.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Green is incredibly raw. He has a lot of physical skills, size being one (and a big part of the NHL interest), and his pick up in play is positive - his foot speed seemed to have him taking a lot of holding/hooking penalties earlier this year. However, his learning is aided by being in a good situation on the top USHL team where he can complement the stars on the team. I suspect he is not ready to be an impact kid enough to save 2017-18, which is going to be a long rebuilding year with Kelleher and Cleland departing. I would leave it to him, but see a big benefit to a second year in the USHL being a potential all-star, and then being closer to ready in 2018. Putting a kid into a tough team situation of learning defense at a higher level where he is already going to struggle is not all that positive.

Now, about that Commesso. I see from his twitter feed that he retweeted the U.Miami quarterback's quote about coming to U.Miami to build the team. I'm glad that's his perspective, otherwise offers from BC and BU could be tempting down the road. i can see him as a building block to signal other recruits (and will be interested how many Liams from his team would join Liam Blackburn and Liam Darcy at UNH). Let's see if Wazny and Commesso can create some momentum in the next couple of months.
                        I hear you on Green benefitting more from a second season in the USHL, and would not want to see him on a third D-pair or worse sitting in the stands at UNH next season. But, sounds like he could be a second D-pair on the Cats next fall.

Comment

Just going to point out Green grew up as a forward and played forward for his HS team with how he grew and as he got into higher levels of competition he was developed into a D for the benefit of his future game, the foot speed is not there yet IMO but his progression rate has been rapid since leaving HS and his hockey IQ is improving from year to year, like NCAA Watcher said he's incredibly raw and his size will be a crucial factor for NHL scouts. From what I've heard from family friends is he's enjoying himself a lot in Chicago and is looking forward to an increased role next season.

Comment

I hear you on Green benefitting more from a second season in the USHL, and would not want to see him on a third D-pair or worse sitting in the stands at UNH next season. But, sounds like he could be a second D-pair on the Cats next fall.
                            That's kind of how I'm seeing it as well. But 'Watcher (as always) and tech make good "big picture" points.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Absolutely love the article that Commesso retweeted - thanks for the heads up. (Great read by the way - http://www.theplayerstribune.com/bra...s-quarterback/) The line that stuck out with me is the "I realized I didn’t want to just have a torch passed to me and told not to drop it. That’s what I would have had at USC. Like, “Here’s a Ferrari. Don’t crash it.”. Says a lot. I heard from several sources that Commesso had offers from BU/BC but chose UNH instead. He could have gone to BC or BU but obviously wants to be a building block and difference maker at a school rather than just another guy on a loaded team and for a goalie thats what I love about that. You want to face and beat the BU/BC's not just sign and go on for the ride. I think adding him and Wazny will certainly attract younger players and it shows that not all kids want to just jump on star studded team and go along for the ride. Thats the thinking I really love - players that arent scared to go somewhere to be the guy that makes the program better and make their mark. It will be interesting to see the impact thats these commitments can make in attracting some more high end commits. We can only hope it will pay dividends!

Comment

Working...
                              X