Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Sure, I would be fine with any of these line changes as experiments, and maybe DU has tried some of these in practice? As HR noted, the Brown game would be a good time to try out some of these changes, or even the OOC game with Maine in Manchvegas to see if some of these changes might be useful against UML. I have observed that Miller, Hill, and Grasso have all shown that they can accelerate on the ice this season, but Grasso is the one who can finish by putting the puck in the net. I agree that more scoring is needed, whether that be TyK with linemates who can get open, or distributed across reconstituted lines. I am still not able to comprehend Eiserman falling to the fourth line. I have been pleasantly surprised by our imorovement on the blue line, and think that Cleland is worthy of Hobey consideration along with TyK. Hoping that Tirone can continue to stay on his feet as he has done better recently.
    I like the line discussions that you and now Dan, have discussed. Eiserman.....lets talk about him. Personally I can't figure out why he hasn't lit it up in his career, is it the lines he has been placed on? I mean the guy works hard, love his work ethic and his hard hitting ways out there. I just expect more from him goal wise I guess. Dan's suggestion of putting him with Naz and Hill look good to me!

What's the story on Eiserman; he's the one player I'd love to see just take off and not sure he's done that. DU has said it comes down to how they do in practice, could this be his issue?
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

For whatever reason, when you put Hill and Eiserman together, good things happen. They have had very little time working together this season and it was very interesting to see them paired up along with Cefalu on the fourth line in the Maine series. At first it looked like a demotion for Eiserman but that line actually played a lot more time than the 4th line has all season. If Cefalu could hit an open net he would have had 2-3 goals in those games.

Vela has had a rough go of things this year, he seems to play best with Nazarian (at least in the past) but they have not really found each other yet this year even after a few games together since their injuries. Also, can we make Vela the center on that line? I am honestly quite happy when I see Miller get thrown out of the faceoff as Vela can actually win them. I swear Vela and Blackburn are the only two guys on the team who can win faceoffs with any sense of consistency and one of them is not even playing center. This has been a concern for as long as I have followed the team, the top centers are often less than 50% in the circle (See: Goumas/Downing).

To HR, Eiserman has always been more of a space maker than a scorer. He doesn't seem to dig in around the front of the net and is much more of a defensive forward. Notice how he never sees PP time, he separates guys from the puck and makes good passes to his scorers then calls it a day. BvR is playing a similar game sofar, look at some of the setup passes he has given Blackburn and Grasso this year.

Comment

Bravo is right on the money with Eiserman - it's just not his game to naturally create offense for himself or others. I would have hoped for ten goals last season from him - and similar production this season, but he really hasn't been out in a position to make that happen.

He has the ability to produce offense if he's put in the right situation or with the right line mates, but that hasn't happened. He hasn't played with a true offensive creator since Foegele as a frosh. Swap Eiserman with Salvaggio - or Correale, last season - and were not having this conversation. But Salvaggio has nine goals, so Eiserman (and the coaches) will have to find another role for himself. And that leaves second line scoring role or third line checking/disruption...

The best second line options are the three freshmen, Vela, Nazarian and Eiserman. Miller is not a fit and I don't understand why they insist on putting him in that position. He has never been an offensive player, dating back to juniors, and the staff is not putting him in a spot where he can succeed.

Vela (who I believe is still bothered by his shoulder - especially shooting the puck), Nazarian and Eiserman would all need someone to get them the puck and create offensive opportunities, so playing them together doesn't seem like a fit. McNicholas would be great - but, again, breaking up that top line just isn't going to happen. So that leaves Blackburn as the obvious choice - IMO - to center line two and Nazarian, Vela, Eiserman, Grasso as potential running mates. I like Vela in a power role and Grasso as a finisher, who can also dish as the best options...

But it may be the potential third line that really excites me. I certainly think Eiserman and Nazarian could score in a second line role, but they could flat out flourish as a third line that's hard to play against.

Watching Denver every week - it's become clear to me that they're similar to UNH in their limitations as far as natural scorers. They also play most of their talent together in one line - then run out three lines similar to what Eiserman, Nazarian and Hill would bring - Fast, physical, strong skaters who can match-up with anyone. It's not always pretty, they don't finish, but they bang and possess the puck, limiting opponents chances in the process. Now DU also has an elite defensive group and two plus goalies, so...

----

Speaking of mirroring Denver - for UNH, a program that cries poor and claims to need money for so many potential upgrades in order to recruit successfully - I spoke to someone who would know, who told me DU was expecting to rake in over $100,000 in alcohol sales during their two-game series with UMD...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Stepping back just a bit, what are your thoughts on BvR's first half? He is 2-7-9, Currently rated a -1, and has 35 of those almighty SOG's.

Personally, I did not expect much out of him to start the season but have been pleasantly surprised with his game to date. Not huge numbers to date but again, he is the setup man on that third line and doing quite well at it. I think he could use his body more effectively to win battles and I hope that comes along later in this season and beyond. I would be curious to see how he would do working with others since I haven't figured out if he is doing very well or if his linemates are propping him up. I personally think his success to this point is mostly his own doing, just curious what you all think.
          Last edited by deltabravo62; 12-18-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            For whatever reason, when you put Hill and Eiserman together, good things happen. They have had very little time working together this season and it was very interesting to see them paired up along with Cefalu on the fourth line in the Maine series. At first it looked like a demotion for Eiserman but that line actually played a lot more time than the 4th line has all season. If Cefalu could hit an open net he would have had 2-3 goals in those games.

Vela has had a rough go of things this year, he seems to play best with Nazarian (at least in the past) but they have not really found each other yet this year even after a few games together since their injuries. Also, can we make Vela the center on that line? I am honestly quite happy when I see Miller get thrown out of the faceoff as Vela can actually win them. I swear Vela and Blackburn are the only two guys on the team who can win faceoffs with any sense of consistency and one of them is not even playing center. This has been a concern for as long as I have followed the team, the top centers are often less than 50% in the circle (See: Goumas/Downing).

To HR, Eiserman has always been more of a space maker than a scorer. He doesn't seem to dig in around the front of the net and is much more of a defensive forward. Notice how he never sees PP time, he separates guys from the puck and makes good passes to his scorers then calls it a day. BvR is playing a similar game sofar, look at some of the setup passes he has given Blackburn and Grasso this year.
            Excellent stuff DB62 and Dan...appreciate the insights into his game and will def take a look at it next few games!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Stepping back just a bit, what are your thoughts on BvR's first half? He is 2-7-9, Currently rated a -1, and has 35 of those almighty SOG's.

Personally, I did not expect much out of him to start the season but have been pleasantly surprised with his game to date. Not huge numbers to date but again, he is the setup man on that third line and doing quite well at it. I think he could use his body more effectively to win battles and I hope that comes along later in this season and beyond. I would be curious to see how he would do working with others since I haven't figured out if he is doing very well or if his linemates are propping him up. I personally think his success to this point is mostly his own doing, just curious what you all think.
              I think you have to be pleased with BvR's early performance - he came to Durham with potential, but questions about needed development and has played very well.

It just doesn't seem like there are enough pieces to expect to build two secondary scoring lines - that the team would be better served consolidating those pieces into one secondary group.

If that's the case - it's hard to see exactly where he fits. I'd give scoring opportunities to others first and he's not really a match playing on that third line I proposed. Dropping to a fourth line is probably unfair based on how well he's played...

Regardless, I've been impressed with him to date. You have to like the potential of this FR class. We'll see if the coaches can round out the roster and get them some support when it's their turn to lead - or will they end up like Kelleher/Poturalski (and Goumas/Downing before them). Talented, high-scoring forwards on teams without the necessary support/depth to win games...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I think you have to be pleased with BvR's early performance - he came to Durham with potential, but questions about needed development and has played very well.

It just doesn't seem like there are enough pieces to expect to build two secondary scoring lines - that the team would be better served consolidating those pieces into one secondary group.

If that's the case - it's hard to see exactly where he fits. I'd give scoring opportunities to others first and he's not really a match playing on that third line I proposed. Dropping to a fourth line is probably unfair based on how well he's played...

Regardless, I've been impressed with him to date. You have to like the potential of this FR class. We'll see if the coaches can round out the roster and get them some support when it's their turn to lead - or will they end up like Kelleher/Poturalski (and Goumas/Downing before them). Talented, high-scoring forwards on teams without the necessary support/depth to win games...
                Your last comments are right on Dan...puck moving D sorely missed...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Great conversation! I for one think that 3vR is now and will continue to be a great addition. He is good at getting it out of the zone on those terrible times when nothing seems to be working. He is a great set up man and would be with anyone. Watch him put the puck in front of the net 4 or 5 times a game, willing PG or LB to put it home. He is also pretty respectable for a frosh as part of a second unit on the PK.

The SE analysis is spot on Dan and DB62, only thing I would add is that he too will put the puck on the door step several times game. I know he is going to do it but i seem to be the only one, as it is usually swept away by the opposing D. I know, a pass isn't a pass unless it is to a teammate.

Comment

While we are breaking down some players, I will also throw out there that my favorite part of Salvaggio's game this year is his "shoot first" mentality. If he has an open lane to the net on a rush, he is taking the shot. He may not be great at getting himself open but he has a heavy shot that he is not afraid to use.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

While we are breaking down some players, I will also throw out there that my favorite part of Salvaggio's game this year is his "shoot first" mentality. If he has an open lane to the net on a rush, he is taking the shot. He may not be great at getting himself open but he has a heavy shot that he is not afraid to use.
                      Just a quick thought on getting himself open. Many have commented on this with both of TK's line mates. While I initially agreed, after watching him water bug it all over the ice for this entire first half, I now have a different take. Yes it is there job to be open/get open, but he makes it very difficult. TK obviously doesn't have a plan, he is just looking for open ice - a shot on goal or a creative pass. His numbers show that his passing must be pretty good. However his line mates are struggling to stay open when he is literally pin balling all over the ice. Point being, it is hard to position when you are having difficulty figuring your time and space with his speed and agility.
                      Some will say that they need to get better, but this line has descent numbers nationally and it works out more often than we are giving them credit for. And the Shoot first mentality is working out well for JS.

Comment

• Maybe best handled elsewhere, but ...

My apologies to the other posters ... I'm sure this is like nails on the chalkboard to some of you, but it's gotta be done.

Dan - rather than e-mail me privately to vent (and not waste everyone's time here), you've decided to grandstand about your massive hockey IQ, and to call me out on my alleged lack thereof. And ironically, you claim there is an "ego" issue in play, and it's mine (wow, good one). Funny, I've been involved in many debates over the years on here, and most (if not all) folks who've engaged in those discussions are OK if we end up disagreeing. In your most recent posts, though, you are throwing around some strong and judgmental conclusions. I didn't necessarily want to go here, but I've gotta respond ...

Saviano played with Collins, Aikins, Callendar, Micflickier, Martz, Winnik, Hemingway (X2), Yandle, Mounsey, Ayers, Gare, Abbott, Haydar, etc. Poturalski played with Kelleher. Saviano doesn't 'win' anything with the current roster and it doesn't diminish his ability as a player one bit. Poturalski doesn't hold back the teams of the past one iota. Teams win as a group.
                        Let's see ... Saviano scored the clinching goal late in the '02 HE Finals for UNH's first HE Tourney title, and was the best player on the ice (I was there), then in '03 he scored twice (including the game winner) against Cornell in the FF Semis (I was there), while earning All-Hockey East AND All-NCAA Tourney First Team honors. In '04 he led UNH in scoring, while earning All-Hockey East AND All-American First Team honors, leading a team shorn of many of its previous senior class back to the D-1 tourney. Some players thrive in big games, and Saviano was one of them. You named a lot of his teammates on there, but only Haydar meets/exceeds what Saviano did over their careers.

By comparison, I'd suggest you catch the final sequence of the MBPBEGAM playoffs Game #2 vs. Merrimack last season. You'll probably have to catch it on video. It does not show Kelleher's former linemate in a positive light. I was there.

Don't you think it's just slightly unfair to Saviano to imply Poturalski would have been the same big-game player as Saviano was, if only he'd had a chance to play with the '02 or '03 (or even '04) teams?

You responded to Ref's post with the SOLE intent of taking a shot at Poturalski. Who you have continuously called a quitter ... You think Poturalski owed it to you to perform through injury/constant double teams and most importantly to stay for four seasons. And because he didn't you attack him as a person again and again. Because he didn't possess your prefered style of play, its fair game to question him as a person, right? I find this type of ignorance pathetic.
                        Players don't owe fans anything (unless they're pros, and I'm paying part of their salary). Likewise, fans don't owe players anything. But sometimes a player might show dedication to his (or her) school/club, fulfill their commitment, and make a difference while they're there. If a player's actions show they meet those criteria, then I'm going to be in that player's corner. You don't have to agree, and maybe that's just me? Maybe others like players because they get to know them or their families personally, and that's great too - for that person. Others might recall a moment of excellence or weirdness, other may embrace stats. As I have said countless times on here and elsewhere ... everyone should be a fan on their own terms. Those are my terms. And frankly, if you don't like it, that's your problem - not mine.

As for your ignorance of UNH hockey and its roster make-up, I just find that amusing. Lazzarro played one year of PG prep hockey at Phillips Exeter. Jamie Regan played/started two seasons of junior hockey and it STILL took a last minute legal issue for Umile to turn over the back-up role to Regan (for HALF a season). Then he rushed a second scholarship goalie into school at the semester break (i.e. ASAP). UNH will recruit another goalie between Robinson and Comesso. But, if I'm wrong Ill certainly apologize if that's what you need. I won't cheat you out of your poster points/grade...
                        This one is the best. While spouting on here about my alleged "ignorance" of UNH Hockey - and the UNH goaltending situation in particular - in your apparent haste to prove your point, you got the first part right - about Regan sliding from 3rd string to 2nd string goalie when the CDS situation unfolded. Yup. But have you forgotten who was the 2nd stringer most of LAST season, after Clark went down with the injury that led to a medical redshirt? Oh yeah, that Regan kid again - and for more than half of the season that time.

Is that a minor goof? Sure, no big deal. But it's probably best to not make mistakes like that when you're laying it on thick about "ignorance" and "garbage" and your other accusations. It's that whole karma thing.

It wasn't worth responding, because you don't care about facts/analysis/discussion - only spinning whatever reality you wish to see. Again, you never argued once that you didn't think pulling the goalie was the right call for UNH or any other team. You simply spotted an opening to push your desired reality. The first words out of your mouth were blaming it on Patrick Roy, analytics and lazy coaches (never mind the FACT that Roy hates analytics). Not one word escaped your finger tips to actually discuss the situation. I find that line of posting extremely dull.
                        No, actually I remember this one pretty well. I questioned the herd mentality in situations where in a RS game with a team down by more than two goals, is the pulling the goalie strategy anything more than empty posturing (or something to that effect)? The response (and I'm not sure if it was you or someone else) was that maybe the coach was sending "messages" to his team about believing in them? Then I pointed out that in most of those situations, once an ENG is scored, the coach puts the goalie right back in, and questioned if that doesn't dilute that whole "I believe in you guys" message? I think that's kind of where this all left off. I guess you thought it was dull, and maybe it is? To be clear, in postseason scenarios, you do what you have to do, right to the end, no questions. But in a RS game where your team is already down by 3 or more goals (against Dartmouth, I think they may have been down by 4?), isn't that empty posturing?

The comment about Roy was that he popularized getting goalies out sooner than most, and I attributed it to him - NOT to analytics (that was my first sense, which I quickly backed off from). But I guess if I mentioned it in the same post, you just drew your own conclusions that this was me having just another bash at analytics - which it wasn't. I'll do better next time.

As for your Clark comment - I wont hold my breath for you to (actually) attend a game, let alone arrive for warm-ups. If you actually did, I bet you'd notice I was right on the money with my comment that all you had to do was watch warm-ups to notice how little net Tirone covers and how often he is beat clean, one on one, by even his less skilled teammates (much more than most goalies - but that would require following the entire sport when you can barely keep up with one team). It was part of an extensive argument on his overall game - but as usual you ignored the bulk of my post and focused on the one thing you thought you could use.
                        Oh, thank God, the gift that keeps giving. Now it all makes sense. It's not just how well the goalies perform in the warm-ups, but also the skill level of the players shooting at them in warm-ups. Thanks for clarifying. And to think, all these years, here I was thinking, hey, that's just guys getting loose, er ... y'know, warming up ... doing things to get ready for the game, stretching, working on a certain skill, working their blocker or glove, getting a feel for the surface, shooters not looking to score but maybe help the goalie work his glove or something else, etc. An eye-opener for sure. Are there analytics for this too? It's amazing the great new things you can pick up on here sometimes.

... I hope you appreciate just how tough it is for me to post stuff like this without the emojis tonight ...

I'm sure I have ruffled feathers here by being critical of players/coaches performance, but unlike yourself, I have never and will never root against any UNH player/alum. Including Tirone, I applaud and respect his playing much better of late (and the work, focus it must have taken) and hope it continues. Would Clark have performed if he was ever given the same leash or proven confidence in his abilities? We'll probably never know...
                        I do not "root against" UNH players or alums. If having players I like better than others is "hating on" the player(s) I don't rate as highly as you, then we're off to "Snowflake World", where we can't say anything that even slightly offends anyone. Maybe that's your world/frame of reference? If so, more power to you. I'd like to think most D-1 athletes - and especially pros - can handle a little criticism and/or disapproval once in awhile. If they're as sensitive as you seem to make them out - unless that's just you protecting the poor dears - I fear for their long-term success.

I think we're close to agreeing on the Tirone/Clark thing, to be fair. My point is that you earn your own "leash". And if you don't think I want for Clark or Robinson to press Tirone for more PT over the next season-plus, you are just plain wrong.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to all. I'll be at ManchVegas for the next one Friday after next.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Haha, ok whatever you say Chuck. You would recognize grandstanding...

I'll start with this one because it's the "best". Maybe a minor goof, but you should understand there's a huge difference between Regan serving as a back-up because of an injury mid-season to a scholarship goalie and counting on Lazarro for one-two seasons as a planned back up. Do you really not see this? I think you do and It proves my point that all you do is try to argue semantics and BS to validate whatever reality or argument you've already decided upon...

Your axe to grind on Poturalski is pitiful - especially when you try to get into his head and decide he didn't care or work hard for his alma mater and teammates. He was called by his coaches - "one of the best to ever play at UNH". I'm sure that was inspite of his loathsome effort? You responded as I predicted you would and it's just as transparent as ever - just as your cute emojis never hide your condescension towards others. Don't worry, I'm happy to respond to you in the manner you've addressed so many over the years.

As for the ENG - again, you avoid the reality of the situation. Pulling your goalie down two with two minutes to play can be a good message to your team (more importantly - you do what you think gives you the best chance to win. Period.) You imply that the goal is scored immediately - when it's often scored with say 30 seconds left. Now it's three with thirty seconds left. Yes, at some point a game is over - but you took your shot. Players need to know you believe in their shot, took it and most importantly that as a coach if you think you have a shot you leave nothing on the table. Again, you simply made inaccurate and unrealistic points to reach your preconceived conclusion. Which is some Mish-mash about pulling your goalie with a minute left being good and a minute and a half left being pandering? Yes, that's dull.

If you want to rehash the Clark debate - go back and re-read the mountains of words I argued on this forum. If you want to keep harping on one line - that was simply posted to re-affirm data and in-game observation then yeah I question your ability to debate the issue knowledgeably. you can consider this your Christmas gift I suppose.

BTW - I love your take on warm-ups. Tell me, when a goalie works on his blocker/glove are they NOT working on stopping the puck with their blocker/glove? I would think that would be tough with no one shooting to score? Please watch a warm-up one time so you can at least learn it's an extended period of time and they do many drills (i.e. Some to get a goalie feeling the puck and some to shoot to score). It's nuance I know, but maybe we can start there and progress to evaluation...

Many coaches across all sports and levels use warm/ups for overall evaluation (for recruiting in particular) and pre-game evaluation. Maybe youth soccer is different? Are you able to evaluate practice at your level or is it impossible for you since kids are just working on stuff? Y'know, preparing for a game...

When - if ever - you're ready to discuss what actually occurs in situations regarding hockey and UNH, willing to understand and discuss entire arguments and not cherry pick things you find amusing (often hypocritically to your own steadfast beliefs - only wins matter, unless you're trying to win against long odds and then you're just trying to win to look good. Which is lame!) or exercise any objectivity perhaps we can pick these conversations up again. Feel free to shoot me an email - since its so important to you to spare the other posters that you...didn't. Otherwise, just go poke holes in your Poturalski voodoo doll and let the rest of us talk about what's actually occurring, right now...
                          Last edited by Dan; 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                            Just a quick thought on getting himself open. Many have commented on this with both of TK's line mates. While I initially agreed, after watching him water bug it all over the ice for this entire first half, I now have a different take. Yes it is there job to be open/get open, but he makes it very difficult. TK obviously doesn't have a plan, he is just looking for open ice - a shot on goal or a creative pass. His numbers show that his passing must be pretty good. However his line mates are struggling to stay open when he is literally pin balling all over the ice. Point being, it is hard to position when you are having difficulty figuring your time and space with his speed and agility.
                            Some will say that they need to get better, but this line has descent numbers nationally and it works out more often than we are giving them credit for. And the Shoot first mentality is working out well for JS.
                            I definitely agree that at times Kelleher tries to do way too much out there and skate 1 on 4 thinking he can get through there every time. Most often when this is happening he is head down, not looking for his linemates who are generally open (how can you not be with 3-4 guys covering 1). My exact quote a few times this year has been "You're good but you're not THAT good." Poturalski did a lot of the same things last year and when teams figured that out they collapsed on him and his production went down. Either way, the production has been there and Kelleher is doing a good job at distributing the puck for the most part. You look at his point totals and see that very clearly. I'm just also bringing up the point that there are a lot of turnovers from him going into 1 on 3 coverage and trying to get through it instead of putting the puck to space or on the stick of one of the other two forwards in there with him.

Comment

I definitely agree that at times Kelleher tries to do way too much out there and skate 1 on 4 thinking he can get through there every time. Most often when this is happening he is head down, not looking for his linemates who are generally open (how can you not be with 3-4 guys covering 1). My exact quote a few times this year has been "You're good but you're not THAT good." Poturalski did a lot of the same things last year and when teams figured that out they collapsed on him and his production went down. Either way, the production has been there and Kelleher is doing a good job at distributing the puck for the most part. You look at his point totals and see that very clearly. I'm just also bringing up the point that there are a lot of turnovers from him going into 1 on 3 coverage and trying to get through it instead of putting the puck to space or on the stick of one of the other two forwards in there with him.
                              ...and could we agree that there are times that you just want him (TyK) to shoot the darn puck?
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wow, this thread certainly turned ugly. I will not report any more of my thoughts about any UNH games that I attend, that is for sure. Good bye.

Comment

Working...
                                X