Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
    Souza is HC in waiting. They need to bring in an associate coach that can recruit with a defensive background. I am sure they know who they want. Assistants handle most of the recruiting so its an important role. In terms of salary - Jerry York makes $576K per year at BC which is less than supposed salary of Quinn at BU to give you a ballpark.
    Guess i jumped to far afield on that comment - sorry. I fully realize that MS is the man. It just keeps creeping in about his fitness for the job etc. and the fact that we perhaps can't touch some of the high priced spread just needs to be kept on the table. I believe he will be an immediate improvement as I remember his fire as a player. One of the feistiest in my memory so i can't believe that he has lost that desire to win.
    Just hoping he has some new ideas on both sides of the game.

Next year is lighter than I originally thought but you just don't ever really know. No one needs to say that it has no blue chipahs. And other than, the most recent pickups, none of them don't belong to MS, and perhaps not GS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      I honestly think Umile will leave at the end of this season on his own terms....
      Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      I tend to agree. 600 is a stretch and he could just say, "hey time to pass the.....fill in the blank.
      On another page, we all comment that he is/was the highest paid state employee. Do you think his 240,000 +/- would attract a name coach? What do other top schools pay? Would we have trusted an up and coming. I'm not sure. Hopefully the 3rd slot will come from outside the family, we need another perspective, and hopefully they have a better handle on coaching the D.
      I think most coaches we've seen in the past (not here at UNH) might have similar thoughts at this stage of their careers, which is why I keep this whole discussion going. But I think the point that Greg (and others, and I consider myself leaning in Greg's direction on this) is that Coach Umile probably had plans to stay forever. We're not kidding when we talk about the so-called "lifetime contract" many feel has been in place since the 2000 (?) offseason when he forced former UNH AD Judy Ray's hand by making eyes at moving to UMass Amherst.

Coach probably considers himself in the same company as Coach York, who can probably stay as long as he wants to at The Heights, while Coach Parker arguably had the same kind of plans until he started running things a little too loosely, and got pushed out. He probably took the "lifetime" thing seriously, and when BS35+4 pushed him off the "lifetime" thing two off-seasons ago, it was probably quite the shock to Coach. Maybe BS35+4 "sold" it to him with a commitment to get him to the next round number so he could leave with style and dignity?

40 wins in 3 seasons was a modest, easily attainable goal for where this program used to be ... who'd a thunk it would turn out to be life & death on whether he can get there? Even if he makes it - and I do think he will - it's not going to happen until 2018. In the old days, 40 wins was a season-and-a-half, tops. So I guess while I do hope Coach can read the writing on the wall if this year's team ends up stuck on 11 or even 12 wins, and decides to leave voluntarily a year early ... based on what I know of the guy from folks who know him way better than I do (and I'm pretty close to zero there, other than observations from afar), it sounds like they think he will have to be pried away with significant force to get him to forego Year Three of the long goodbye. And if he does get to 13 or more wins, I think that's a lock. 'Cuz in Coach's mind, Year Three is part and parcel of "his own terms".
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Maybe BS35+4 "sold" it to him with a commitment to get him to the next round number so he could leave with style and dignity?
        No, I actually think 2018 was picked because it was the best chance to win a championship and exit on top. If you recall, that class had 11 members, including top recruits Poturalski, Foegele, Eiserman, etc. If they remained together, and supplemented with those in the pipeline, Ryczek, Masonius, would have been in line with the UNH talent level from 2010-2014 that were on the cusp of the NCAAs. That large a senior class would be experienced and have a chance to make a good run at the HE championship and potential NCAA run.

What we came to learn is how important Borek was to holding the whole thing together for an aloof and disingaged coach. Umile thought himself king maker, and pushed a decision that alienated Borek to leave. With Borek went the kids who would have supplemented the senior class. Foegele was minimalized and left, Masonius never materialized, and the four defensive recruits, Marks, Chanter, Boyd and Furgele did not live up to potential.

And then the new hire that Umile insisted upon has taken two or three years to get used to recruiting, so there was no help in filling the void of Farabee, Ryczek, Masonius. So the whole thing splintered to the point that within the first post-Borek year it became clear that any great success upon which Umile could retire was illusory.

I think only at that point did Umile focus on other means to cement his legacy, and 600 seemed a good goal. With that slipping away, and his legacy really being tarnished by the complete dysfunction, maybe Umile does decide to walk away. Losing can't be too much fun for a guy who was able to get wins with Borek and McCloskey's talent, but now has an AD checking in on him regularly. Accountability is a *****.

Sorry Greg, I know you hate it when I do pop psych.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

I think Souza is the shot in the arm the program needs. Umile has been a fantastic coach and legend but I feel recruits want a younger and more energetic coach to play for. Someone they can relate to. If you look what BU did with the hiring of Quinn I could see the same results once UNH moves on from Umile. Jack Parker was 18-17-3, 19-12-8, 23-15-1 and 21-16-2 over his last 3 years then Quinn arrived with energy and put BU back to the top. It can happen. Look around the NCAA landscape and it almost always takes a younger coach coming in to turn a program around.

Comment

It ain't all bad...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/reg...?event=event25
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well it was a long time in coming, the Claude Julien firing...any thoughts? I doubt a new coach is going to help these Bruins...like Wally from Maine likes to say "be careful what you wish for".
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Well it was a long time in coming, the Claude Julien firing...any thoughts? I doubt a new coach is going to help these Bruins...like Wally from Maine likes to say "be careful what you wish for".
                Maybe the Bruins will hire Dick Umile. Then the quest will be over...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  But seriously...mixed thoughts. "Normally" I would say, "Oh, sure, so now the players start playing better and that was the coach's fault?" Personally, I think the problem with this team is Cam Neely. Sweeny is just a Neely puppet. Why do you think Chiarelli left? Neely wouldn't let him draft the way he wanted. Neely still thinks the game is played like it was when he played. I'm not taking anything away from the guy as a player...but he needs to get with it.

Comment

For any interested folks who haven't heard, the NHL Network is running a special on the Making of Slap Shot tomorrow evening to celebrate the 40th anniversary of that classic.
                    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      But seriously...mixed thoughts. "Normally" I would say, "Oh, sure, so now the players start playing better and that was the coach's fault?" Personally, I think the problem with this team is Cam Neely. Sweeny is just a Neely puppet. Why do you think Chiarelli left? Neely wouldn't let him draft the way he wanted. Neely still thinks the game is played like it was when he played. I'm not taking anything away from the guy as a player...but he needs to get with it.
                      Yeah there's a lot to be said about that management team. Bruins will most likely miss the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive year. Sounds like some other team I know..
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Y'see? All this talk about the B's has gone and frightened everyone away for 3 days now. Anyway ...

... I'm sticking to my guns, and predicting UNH gets off the schneid this weekend. Anyone with me?
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Y'see? All this talk about the B's has gone and frightened everyone away for 3 days now. Anyway ...

... I'm sticking to my guns, and predicting UNH gets off the schneid this weekend. Anyone with me?
                          I'm with you Chuck. This has split written all over it. Two teams a combined 1-8-1 in their last 5 games. Two points this weekend, and two the final weekend against mighty Huskies should seal home ice in the phony round...
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Untimely Losing Streak"
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Yeah, one post about the B's and WHAM...people disappeared! Hopefully like the B's last night the 'Cats get back to winning this weekend... Glad to see us back on the first page....anyhoo...

Sooo critical we get points this weekend; I'm sure it's not lost on them. According to WMUR they've been working on their issues and looks like Dylan Maller is back for the weekend. Reading Mike's Captains Corner article I didn't realize how much he had been contributing. Going up Saturday hoping it's a good outcome. Yukon has their hands full with PC this weekend while NU plays Umass so getting points really matters.

HR's predictions:
                              Friday: UVM 3 - UNH 2
                              Sat: UNH 2- UVM 1

Go 'Cats!!!!

I am hopeful for the 'Cats this weekend. Hear they've worked hard and it's nice to see Maller
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Kelleher scored his 50th NCAA goal and is 4 behind Mike Souza according to Twitter reports. A decent 2nd great job fending off the 5 on 3.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X