Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    Three way tie for first place and it's not competitive?
    He didn't say "not competitive." He said "not as good." And I agree. But this is a pointless argument because we're from different generations and don't look at the game the same way. In those days, the old garden was rocking...banged out with thousands of UNH and Maine fans, and with the Boston schools there it was wild. Not the same for us now, but that doesn't mean you don't have your own memories.
    Last edited by chickod; 03-04-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
      For the size of the school and the size of the fan base I think Lawler arena is perfect size. My only complaint is that I wish the seats in the corner sections wrapped around the rink instead of remaining straight to the end wall, that would fix the gym feel people have IMO.
      that's a great idea

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        He didn't say "not competitive." He said "not as good." And I agree. But this is a pointless argument because we're from different generations and don't look at the game the same way. In those days, the old garden was rocking...banged out with thousands of UNH and Maine fans, and with the Boston schools there it was wild. Not the same for us now, but that doesn't mean you don't have your own memories.
        Not as competitive, not as good, or not as high quality?

It's definitely competitive, the standing were really tight.
        I think the quality is as good as it's ever been - look at the talent that's come through BU alone in the last few years, and BC, PC, UML. Top 10 NHL draft picks, WJC stars, the quality is awesome.
        Not as good? - meaning the fun of being a fan, the atmosphere in the rinks, the overall experience of being a college hockey fan? I might agree with that. Just not the passion, to the point of craziness, of years ago. Seems to be another case of the general distracted disengagement of society today. Yeah, phones.
        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
          Not as good? - meaning the fun of being a fan, the atmosphere in the rinks, the overall experience of being a college hockey fan? I might agree with that. Just not the passion, to the point of craziness, of years ago. Seems to be another case of the general distracted disengagement of society today. Yeah, phones.
          Exactly. Just lamenting, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
            Bingo
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Bingo
              Well that's another reason for you to love the Lawler. Reception is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                Not as competitive, not as good, or not as high quality?

It's definitely competitive, the standing were really tight.
                I think the quality is as good as it's ever been - look at the talent that's come through BU alone in the last few years, and BC, PC, UML. Top 10 NHL draft picks, WJC stars, the quality is awesome.
                A lot probably does also tie into the product on the ice. I remember droves of Maine and UNH fans travelling in their respective heydays. Now with both programs being less than stellar in some eyes for awhile, you see that translate into a lack of enthusiasm and less strong fan bases. I remember the atmosphere in Durham being off the charts, same at Tsongas when we called it "Whittimore South" and UNH would take over the place. Now with Lowell's turnaround the past several seasons, the atmosphere in Lowell is similar to what I remember at UNH and Maine in the past. And I saw relatively few UNH and Maine fans at Tsongas this year compared to years ago. So individual team's quality does play into it definitely.
                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  It is a pointless argument because people are always captives of their own generation. When I used the term "hyper competitive" I was mostly referring to the coaches - Umile, Walsh, Parker, York - particularly. I'm not suggesting that the coaches are not fierce competitors today both in terms of recruiting and on ice coaching. But there really is no one in the league now who compares to Parker or Walsh in their heydays. It was just different back then. I saw Parker throw a bunch of sticks on the ice one night after he disagreed with a ref's call. Walsh we all know about, playing things on the edge all the time. The players fed off this stuff and, I think, ramped up their games because of it. The other thing is that all but the greatest players stayed around for four years. Now you get the feeling that many like those at BU will stick around for one, maybe two years, and be gone. The kids today are skilled, have been taught well, and are in tremendous shape. But emotion? Except for a few instances (Harvard's Beanpot win) just don't see much of it anymore.

Comment

Mike Babcock sighting....
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Decent first chippy as he//. Even SOG's. 'Cats look more organized out there. Should be an interesting 2nd!

Comment

Well, winner take all tomorrow night. Not really unexpected. Props to Tirrone on the shutout.
                        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Go Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                            Go Cats!
                            Ditto!
                            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                              Ditto!
                              Tritto!!

Comment

Yea ''Cats!!! Excellent job in the win kudos DT for the shutout!!

Comment

Working...
                                X