Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS Elect Trump I: Get in pu$$y - we're gonna make American great again

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    So there weren't printing presses and (let's call them, no matter the political bent, what they are) liars back in the times of the founders?

The only difference today is that the printing press is called a tweet.
    See above. I do have confidence that in the end the problem solves itself. But that is no consolation if some nutbar cranked up on lies murders somebody. If that happens and it is directly traceable back to a lie, that should be grounds for prosecution. Your rights end where my nose begins.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Did you see Mike Pence on with George Stephanapolous being asked about false tweets? Tops dont spin that much...
      I did not.

Edit: Holy crap... That's bad. That's... really bad.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-05-2016, 09:28 AM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There won't be much interest on the right if it is true, as the guy in the NPR story suggests, that fake news stories are like red meat to those on the right but rarely gain purchase with liberals.

Comment

RE: Fake news.

So is anyone that ran with "hands up, don't shoot" in Ferguson now deemed a fake news source?

WaPo says it never happened.

Jonathan Capehart says it was built on a lie.

So, fake news or misreporting.

The horrific is horrific on its own. There's no need for hyperbolic hyper (fake?) reporting.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Sane people have to stop this. We need a non-partisan movement to push back against fake news. Peter Thiel bankrupted Gawker. We need to bankrupt Breitbart & Co. the same way the next time they incite violence and someone is hurt.

These are not news organizations and hiding behind the protection of political speech is a bastardization of the Founders' intent. If there's a lefty equivalent they need to go down too.
            Mike Pence is hardly sane...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So is anyone that ran with "hands up, don't shoot" in Ferguson now deemed a fake news source?

The horrific is horrific on its own. There's no need for hyperbolic hyper (fake?) reporting.
              Are the "Hands Up, Dont Shoot" people walking into pizzeria's and firing weapons?

False news is wrong no matter who does it (which is why I have blocked Liberal Lie factories like Addicted to Info from my feeds) but lets play false equivalency mmkay? What the Right is doing and inciting is not the same thing no matter how much you want to pretend it is.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The hands up story isn't what I'd consider "fake news." It's a symptom of something else that is wrong in the current news world, which is the decision that most organizations go with now to simply print or report on supposed "facts" without actually checking to see if they might be true.

I think I posted this before in the movies thread, but I watched the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix awhile back, and one of the things that struck me was the interviews with the British journalist who had many of the "scoops" on the story that just turned out to be bogus. It seems pretty clear he had no malicious intent and was not intending to create fake news. As he described, he was simply reporting what he heard from sources. The problem was, many of these "facts" were capable of being either proven or refuted with a little more digging (things such as Knox' background), but as the reporter said, to actually try to confirm or refute the facts would require time, and that means he'd lose the scoop. He'd rather just write it as reported to him, get credit for the scoop, and let it sort itself out later. Too many "journalists" take the same approach.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Not even close to the same, while the Ferguson incident was certainly misreported, it was at least based in reality. Just watch the therapist in Florida take a few with his hands up saying don't shoot. On the hand, Hillary Clinton's secret child sex ring run out of a pizza joint....

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    The hands up story isn't what I'd consider "fake news." It's a symptom of something else that is wrong in the current news world, which is the decision that most organizations go with now to simply print or report on supposed "facts" without actually checking to see if they might be true.

I think I posted this before in the movies thread, but I watched the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix awhile back, and one of the things that struck me was the interviews with the British journalist who had many of the "scoops" on the story that just turned out to be bogus. It seems pretty clear he had no malicious intent and was not intending to create fake news. As he described, he was simply reporting what he heard from sources. The problem was, many of these "facts" were capable of being either proven or refuted with a little more digging (things such as Knox' background), but as the reporter said, to actually try to confirm or refute the facts would require time, and that means he'd lose the scoop. He'd rather just write it as reported to him, get credit for the scoop, and let it sort itself out later. Too many "journalists" take the same approach.
                    Too many? How about ALL of them. Even if it turns out they get something right, they most likely didn't take the time to confirm it before publishing.

The news media would have more credibility if they'd own up to their mistakes in the same way as the publish "scoops". The New York Times has a well documented history of a front page scoop with a page 30 retraction a week later. See, Judith Miller or anything Clinton related. Basically they leave the public ombudsman to take the flack, while never actually changing the way the paper operates.

60 Minutes is another good example. For their ridiculous Benghazi story where some guy claimed he went Rambo after he got the discredited "stand down" order and it turned out he was no where near the action which a simple phone call would have confirmed, they suspended the reporter for a few weeks then afterword she issued a lame non-apology at the end of a show two months later. Not good enough. Firing her immediately and then a full story about how they got duped by a guy promoting a book, right down to the part where Lara Logan didn't do her due diligence because she was banging the guy would have gotten them some credibility back. Now there's not much reason to believe anything they broadcast.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Are the "Hands Up, Dont Shoot" people walking into pizzeria's and firing weapons?
                      Um, pizzerias? No, but ...
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

And again, yeah, that's totally the same.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          It's too late. As Dan Rather eloquently puts it, we live in a "Post-Truth" world. Don't like the truth? Find some whack answer that actually fits your bias. Then shout the whack answer the loudest.
                          Dan would be an expert on that
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

False equivalency fail...

3/10 would not read again
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Too many? How about ALL of them. Even if it turns out they get something right, they most likely didn't take the time to confirm it before publishing.

The news media would have more credibility if they'd own up to their mistakes in the same way as the publish "scoops". The New York Times has a well documented history of a front page scoop with a page 30 retraction a week later. See, Judith Miller or anything Clinton related. Basically they leave the public ombudsman to take the flack, while never actually changing the way the paper operates.

60 Minutes is another good example. For their ridiculous Benghazi story where some guy claimed he went Rambo after he got the discredited "stand down" order and it turned out he was no where near the action which a simple phone call would have confirmed, they suspended the reporter for a few weeks then afterword she issued a lame non-apology at the end of a show two months later. Not good enough. Firing her immediately and then a full story about how they got duped by a guy promoting a book, right down to the part where Lara Logan didn't do her due diligence because she was banging the guy would have gotten them some credibility back. Now there's not much reason to believe anything they broadcast.
                              There is no doubt that what we are experiencing in this country is a revisiting of the way news was delivered to the American people between about 1850 and 1920, or thereabout. Except instead of penny newspapers as the cheap delivery system it's the internet.

150 years ago there were thousands of little newspapers cranking out stories. To separate themselves from the others, they would turn to gossip, scandalous news or outright lies. Wasn't it Hearst who famously said "you give me the pictures, I'll give you the war."

Two things happened in the early twentieth century to change this. First, it was recognized that the public needed and wanted a reliable source of news. You had good editors and papers that emerged, such as the New York Times.

Second, corporate consolidation occurred, basically turning newspapers into what radio is today -- identical programming put out by one company but under different local names.

None of what we are seeing in terms of fake news or writing stories before facts are checked is new. It might be new to us born in the last half of the twentieth century, but it's certainly not new to the country. It's just sad to see us go back and relive an unfortunate aspect of our past.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Dan would be an expert on that
                                People seem to forget that the reason he lost his job was playing fast and loose with the truth in favor of a narrative he liked.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X