This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Just to note - Xanax is certainly a drug of abuse, but it's not in the opiate painkiller class. It's an anxiolytic, meant to be used for acute severe panic attacks.

EDIT: And yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Nice article on how Canada and the US became addicted to Oxys and how much money the pharmaceutical companys made doing it.
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle33448409/
      What I learned from that article is that governmental health organizations didn't check any of the claims by the manufacturer and that doctors liked free trips enough to not really care what they were prescribing their patients.

I'm sure times are different now than in 1996 when OxyContin was first introduced but no doctor should ever take the word of a medical sales rep as fact. They're trying to sell their drugs and if they lie, so be it. Too often, I hear stories from my pharmacist girlfriend who tells of doctors who just prescribe something to get the patient out of there. Those that do that should have their licenses taken away and face jail time.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
        What I learned from that article is that governmental health organizations didn't check any of the claims by the manufacturer and that doctors liked free trips enough to not really care what they were prescribing their patients.

I'm sure times are different now than in 1996 when OxyContin was first introduced but no doctor should ever take the word of a medical sales rep as fact. They're trying to sell their drugs and if they lie, so be it. Too often, I hear stories from my pharmacist girlfriend who tells of doctors who just prescribe something to get the patient out of there. Those that do that should have their licenses taken away and face jail time.
        One of my regular clients was having some dental work done a while back and his wife is a pharmacist as well. She only filled about a fifth of what the doctor prescribed for it. Heck, I had a hernia repair back on Halloween and I only used like 6 of the pain pills they gave me.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

It is even better than that. So back in the early 80s a doctor wrote a letter to the editor of of one of the medical journals (forget which one) where he said at his clinic there was no evidence of these opioids being harmful or addictive. He wasnt making suggestions, wasnt peer reviewed just saying what he saw. The drug companies seized this and lobbied hospitals to over prescribe them. Almost immediately that was proven false but by then Pandora's box was opened...

I heard an interview with a guy wrote a book about this (on Marc Maron's Podcast) and he found that doctor years later and the doctor had no clue the letter had been published or that it was being used the way it was. He was none too pleased...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Nice article on how Canada and the US became addicted to Oxys and how much money the pharmaceutical companys made doing it.
            http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle33448409/
            Not to mention how many people flood Urgent Care or emergency rooms just to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Just to note - Xanax is certainly a drug of abuse, but it's not in the opiate painkiller class. It's an anxiolytic, meant to be used for acute severe panic attacks.

EDIT: And yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              I know that, I just used it as another example of a drug that really shouldn't be prescribed as much as it is due to the high potential for abuse.

Comment

Word.

The role of a pharmaceutical rep is much more limited now but they are still present at most major hospitals. If anyone is interested, "Bad Pharma" is an excellent book describing the pharmaceutical industry in a non-witch-hunting way. Anyway, the reps keep profiles on doctors including a rating on how susceptible they are to being persuaded by certain types of data.

A couple of days ago I was approached by a rep from a company of a medication I use frequently. I use it frequently because it is an effective medication, with limited side effects, and very good independent research to back it up. He asked me why I never come to any of the dinners that his company hosts (I guess they must have a file on me). I told him that I felt that dinners payed for by pharmaceutical companies violated my personal ethics. He countered that they were just meet and greets and there was no pressure to use the drug. I replied that there is no way he would have a job, and no way that his company would pay for a steak dinner unless it had a strong influence on my prescribing habits because his company is just not that stupid. He did not have a reply...
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

On a slightly lesser scale is the college textbook racket.

Professor writes a textbook. Uses textbook in his class. Gets royalties from the sales of his textbook.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'll add my $0.02 here. I'm an engineer at a fairly large company. We get taken out to lunch and the occasional sporting event by our vendors. It doesn't truly affect my opinion of the vendor.

More often than not the vendor will use the time to talk about new products and technologies they have to offer. We will take those technologies back to work, we'll discuss them and weigh the pros and cons.

If the technology makes sense, we'll give it a shot. We'll get feedback and determine if we want to make it standardized equipment. If we see major problems with equipment, whether it's a new technology or something we've been using for ten years, we'll have no issues dumping it.

The lunches are just a nice 'thank you' for the business. If you let that cloud your judgment, then yes, it's probably a bad idea to accept them. But if you do a critical and fair evaluation of the new drug or equipment, there is no problem with accepting a lunch here and there.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I'll add my $0.02 here. I'm an engineer at a fairly large company. We get taken out to lunch and the occasional sporting event by our vendors. It doesn't truly affect my opinion of the vendor.

More often than not the vendor will use the time to talk about new products and technologies they have to offer. We will take those technologies back to work, we'll discuss them and weigh the pros and cons.

If the technology makes sense, we'll give it a shot. We'll get feedback and determine if we want to make it standardized equipment. If we see major problems with equipment, whether it's a new technology or something we've been using for ten years, we'll have no issues dumping it.

The lunches are just a nice 'thank you' for the business. If you let that cloud your judgment, then yes, it's probably a bad idea to accept them. But if you do a critical and fair evaluation of the new drug or equipment, there is no problem with accepting a lunch here and there.
                      My company has a strict policy of no freebies, just to avoid the appearance of preference. A box of donuts? Nope. Can't take 'em. Do I find it silly at times? Yes. Do I understand? Yes.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        My company has a strict policy of no freebies, just to avoid the appearance of preference. A box of donuts? Nope. Can't take 'em. Do I find it silly at times? Yes. Do I understand? Yes.
                        We can accept gifts, but there is a dollar limit set by the company. If you're caught exceeding that limit, bye-bye, Birdy.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Meh. If your company doesn't trust you with a box of doughnuts...

Company policy says you can accept anything of nominal value. You can't accept cash or cash equivalents.

I don't think there's a single engineer at work who has used a more expensive vendor, a sketchy technology, or anything like that because they got a free lunch or even a ticket to a Wild game.

That you can't have a doughnut speaks more to what your company thinks of you than what your company thinks of ethics.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            We can accept gifts, but there is a dollar limit set by the company. If you're caught exceeding that limit, bye-bye, Birdy.
                            We don't even have a dollar amount. It's just "nominal".

At my old job, we didn't have **** for rules. Someone backup a dump truck full of gold bullion on your driveway? "**** it. Give them business. What do we care?"
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Meh. If your company doesn't trust you with a box of doughnuts...

Company policy says you can accept anything of nominal value. You can't accept cash or cash equivalents.

I don't think there's a single engineer at work who has used a more expensive vendor, a sketchy technology, or anything like that because they got a free lunch or even a ticket to a Wild game.

That you can't have a doughnut speaks more to what your company thinks of you than what your company thinks of ethics.
                              I think my company covers all their bases.

Now, there IS unofficial what-have-yous. The nominal "I am just gonna leave this here," or "Oh, I forgot this." Officially, my company does what it "needs" to do. I get that. Granted, this happens more at the off-site building where I work, rather than the main building. Less eyes that are all RULEZ!!!!!!!
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                On a slightly lesser scale is the college textbook racket.

Professor writes a textbook. Uses textbook in his class. Gets royalties from the sales of his textbook.
                                Why is that a racket? I know a guy who wrote the book for both law classes he taught he wasnt exactly making bank on it. (and it made it to 7th edition before I took the class and he still teaches)

The racket is how much the book store charges for books.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X