X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Why is that a racket? I know a guy who wrote the book for both law classes he taught he wasnt exactly making bank on it. (and it made it to 7th edition before I took the class and he still teaches)

The racket is how much the book store charges for books.
    This.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I'll add my $0.02 here. I'm an engineer at a fairly large company. We get taken out to lunch and the occasional sporting event by our vendors. It doesn't truly affect my opinion of the vendor.

More often than not the vendor will use the time to talk about new products and technologies they have to offer. We will take those technologies back to work, we'll discuss them and weigh the pros and cons.

If the technology makes sense, we'll give it a shot. We'll get feedback and determine if we want to make it standardized equipment. If we see major problems with equipment, whether it's a new technology or something we've been using for ten years, we'll have no issues dumping it.

The lunches are just a nice 'thank you' for the business. If you let that cloud your judgment, then yes, it's probably a bad idea to accept them. But if you do a critical and fair evaluation of the new drug or equipment, there is no problem with accepting a lunch here and there.
      It clouds your judgement whether you know it or not. I am not saying it is the worst thing in the world but it is advantageous for the company buying the lunch, otherwise they would not be paying for it. I do not think that taking a lunch here or there is a huge problem, but I would disagree that it has no effect.

An example from my work: We were given a lecture from a pharmaceutical company promoting a medication for restless leg syndrome. The presentation fell for all of the classic problems of drug company funded studies and the way you can design a study to get positive results(in fact, I use that lecture to teach medical students about evidence based medicine and pharmaceutical company bias). Basically, the medication did not perform better than first line therapy but after hearing the lecture, I now know about the medication. I will clearly prescribe the older, cheaper drugs with similar side effect profiles but if I had a resistant patient who was suffering I may be tempted to try this medication even though the evidence did not show it to be more effective. Despite my best efforts, I now know this drug exists and may use it and this is only because of lunch talk. The better way to learn about new drugs is trials in independent, rigorous peer-reviewed journals, or by guidelines from your specialty.
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        On a slightly lesser scale is the college textbook racket.

Professor writes a textbook. Uses textbook in his class. Gets royalties from the sales of his textbook.
        Flip side of that - I had a finance prof who actually gave his textbook away. He was a brilliant instructor to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          It clouds your judgement whether you know it or not. I am not saying it is the worst thing in the world but it is advantageous for the company buying the lunch, otherwise they would not be paying for it. I do not think that taking a lunch here or there is a huge problem, but I would disagree that it has no effect.

An example from my work: We were given a lecture from a pharmaceutical company promoting a medication for restless leg syndrome. The presentation fell for all of the classic problems of drug company funded studies and the way you can design a study to get positive results(in fact, I use that lecture to teach medical students about evidence based medicine and pharmaceutical company bias). Basically, the medication did not perform better than first line therapy but after hearing the lecture, I now know about the medication. I will clearly prescribe the older, cheaper drugs with similar side effect profiles but if I had a resistant patient who was suffering I may be tempted to try this medication even though the evidence did not show it to be more effective. Despite my best efforts, I now know this drug exists and may use it and this is only because of lunch talk. The better way to learn about new drugs is trials in independent, rigorous peer-reviewed journals, or by guidelines from your specialty.
          Maybe, maybe not. We've dumped vendors that used to take us out at least once every other month. If the equipment doesn't perform, adios.

It's up to you to decide what's right for your patients. It's no different either the decision we make every day. If I specify the wrong equipment, I could kill people. And it's not like these are uncommon decisions either. We make these decisions daily.

It's incumbent on us to remove the perks like lunches from the equation and make the decision based on the facts. If you can't do that, then yes, not taking doughnuts or lunches is probably the best choice.

If you prescribe a drug or specify equipment without doing an exhaustive investigative effort on your own, then shame on you. I do it every time regardless of relationship because I take take my responsibility personally (which shouldn't be taken to mean you don't).

I'd put my ethical record up against anyone in the organization and industry.

ETA: which isn't to say I am infallible.
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-10-2017, 12:03 AM.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

He Seems Nice

I am sure he was just kidding though...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Broken link?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Broken link?
                Replace the *** in the link with a three letter word for Lane Kiffin.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Oh yeah I didnt even think about the link being censored...

Here is Another Link
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh yeah I didnt even think about the link being censored...

Here is Another Link
                    With Trump he's got a future at HUD.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Why is that a racket? I know a guy who wrote the book for both law classes he taught he wasnt exactly making bank on it. (and it made it to 7th edition before I took the class and he still teaches)

The racket is how much the book store charges for books.
                      As a teacher of a fairly obscure subject, if there wasn't already an amazing book written that fits perfectly into my class I would have written it myself. Not to make money but because it meets exactly what I need/want to teach in the class.

Comment

Like father, like son.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I wouldn't doubt if Jr. Sandusky had this stuff done to him by Daddy Sandusky and is simply looping the cycle at this point. It's horrible regardless.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I wouldn't doubt if Jr. Sandusky had this stuff done to him by Daddy Sandusky and is simply looping the cycle at this point. It's horrible regardless.
                            Oh, I think it's a given.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Just like domestic violence. Son watches daddy hit the kids or the wife, grows up to be just like him.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In memory of our dear friend, Old Pio... http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/chic...cing-last-year

Comment

Working...
                                X