X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    By the way, can we talk about how useless fancy corkscrews are?
    Real men know what this is, and how to use it.

That is all.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-16-2016, 05:20 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Now it's serious. It's happening to white people.
      Same thing with AIDS. Few people really cared until that sociopathic dentist in Florida in the late 80s found a way to deliberately infect a handful of his white, female patients. THEN, it was suddenly a national epidemic.

No one actually does anything about a tragedy until it affects middle class white people. 'Twas ever thus.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Same thing with AIDS. Few people really cared until that sociopathic dentist in Florida in the late 80s found a way to deliberately infect a handful of his white, female patients. THEN, it was suddenly a national epidemic.

No one actually does anything about a tragedy until it affects middle class white people. 'Twas ever thus.
        As a middle class white person I'd say that's mighty white of 'em.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Self-preservation has always been about cy(own)a since Cain and Abel.

Comment

I guess it was only a matter of time. I imagine we'll eventually have real life Rollerball and The Running Man too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I guess it was only a matter of time. I imagine we'll eventually have real life Rollerball and The Running Man too.
              I knew exactly where you were going before I clicked it.

We'll know we've reached the end game when the show promises immunity from the law.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I'm actually interested in this. Human behavior/sociology fascinates me. I'm not for the rapey/killing shock factor stuff, but am interested to see how people would react in this situation. They are willing participants, crimes will be prosecuted, so I guess let's roll the dice.

If it was straight up Hunger Games stuff, no thank you, similar to what Kepler said about the end game.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A good point, Fade, but the scope of ambivalence toward suffering is wider than that. I should hypertext this poem by W.H. Auden, but I don't know how do do that:

Musee des Beaux Arts

About suffering they were never wrong,
                  The old Masters: how well they understood
                  Its human position: how it takes place
                  While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
                  How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
                  For the miraculous birth, there always must be
                  Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
                  On a pond at the edge of the wood:
                  They never forgot
                  That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
                  Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
                  Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
                  Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.

In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
                  Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
                  Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
                  But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
                  As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
                  Water, and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
                  Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
                  Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

Comment

I think that poem is about something else. Not indifference, but the fact that even the most significant things are not universal. To me it's a hopeful message -- Big wheel keep on turnin'. Emerson has a poem about the day his child died. I won't quote it, it's awful and long like all Emerson's poems. It was a perfect, sun-drenched summer day, and all about was peace and life. The world -- even the human, non-natural world -- is not ambivalent towards suffering, it just has a lot of other stuff going on.

BTW, thank you for quoting the poem. It's beautiful and interesting and I'm sure it can carry far more than just my interpretation.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 12-18-2016, 07:57 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I knew exactly where you were going before I clicked it.

We'll know we've reached the end game when the show promises immunity from the law.
                      Considering their car theft show didn't, I highly doubt it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I'm actually interested in this. Human behavior/sociology fascinates me. I'm not for the rapey/killing shock factor stuff, but am interested to see how people would react in this situation. They are willing participants, crimes will be prosecuted, so I guess let's roll the dice.

If it was straight up Hunger Games stuff, no thank you, similar to what Kepler said about the end game.
                        That's where I was going with my post - I think we'll eventually get there and sadly no one will blink.

Comment

I think that poem is about something else. Not indifference, but the fact that even the most significant things are not universal. To me it's a hopeful message -- Big wheel keep on turnin'. Emerson has a poem about the day his child died. I won't quote it, it's awful and long like all Emerson's poems. It was a perfect, sun-drenched summer day, and all about was peace and life. The world -- even the human, non-natural world -- is not ambivalent towards suffering, it just has a lot of other stuff going on.

BTW, thank you for quoting the poem. It's beautiful and interesting and I'm sure it can carry far more than just my interpretation.
                          This response illustrates the value of the exchange of ideas. I'd never read the poem that way, perhaps distracted by its beauty, but I see your point. It certainly does not describe a cold, hard indifference--the language is too beautiful and peaceful, including the last phrase. Of all the metaphors in the poem, the expensive delicate ship sailing calmly on really fits your reading of it.
                          Last edited by burd; 12-18-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

What. Is wrong. With people?
                            Cornell University

Comment

What. Is wrong. With people?
                              Notice how they don't say anything about the assailant. After all, Black Lives Matter...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Notice how they don't say anything about the assailant. After all, Black Lives Matter...
                                You don't think it could've been a white man who did the shooting?
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X