Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 685

Thread: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

  1. #521

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,175

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  2. #522
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,298

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I wonder if that means he is asking for it when I punch him in the face for saying such things publicly. I mean I believe in "live and let live" but if you are in my face spouting homophobic nonsense...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #523
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,853

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I wonder if that means he is asking for it when I punch him in the face for saying such things publicly. I mean I believe in "live and let live" but if you are in my face spouting homophobic nonsense...
    If you walk into a backwoods southern bar (yes, going full stereotype here) cross-dressed....you're probably going to get into some trouble.

    Is it right? NO. Is it your fault? NO. Is it truthful? Yeah, chances are......

    I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do it, but expect the worst. It's sad, but that's the way of the world. I am pretty sure that is what Enzi is trying to say.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #524
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,822

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Brent is correct in a way but the problem is where does that awareness start and does it end in time before we get to, "No means yes if you wear that dress you're gonna get it if you turn him on"? (a lyric from Tina & The B-Sides fyi). I think we need to fight acknowledging that possibility because it borders on legitimizing it even though Brent I know 100% you are not. So when someone in this guy's position makes a statement like that it silently empowers Johnny Hayseed under the din of the obvious protests that ensued.

  5. #525

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,175

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do it, but expect the worst. It's sad, but that's the way of the world. I am pretty sure that is what Enzi is trying to say.
    I don't think you should say something like this if you're an elected official. It appears to condone it, even if that's the last thing on the speaker's mind.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  6. #526
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,298

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If you walk into a backwoods southern bar (yes, going full stereotype here) cross-dressed....you're probably going to get into some trouble.

    Is it right? NO. Is it your fault? NO. Is it truthful? Yeah, chances are......

    I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do it, but expect the worst. It's sad, but that's the way of the world. I am pretty sure that is what Enzi is trying to say.
    I think we all get what he is saying...the point is he shouldnt be saying it especially to kids. He is tacitly endorsing the action even in the best light. (and lets not pretend that is light he is bathing in right now)

    And again, there is zero chance the knife cuts both ways. If he walks into my bar in Minneapolis (a very tolerant area) and starts spouting homophobic nonsense I would not tell him he should expect to get beat down for saying it. Sure it might happen, but he is no more deserving of it than he seems to imply the man in the tutu is.

    It is this type of crap and these types of statements that lead to the idea that women are asking for it...oh dont dress slutty, dont drink, dont hang out with the football team if you dont want to get raped. You have no one to blame but yourself...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  7. #527
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    108,853

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    I am pretty sure we are all on the same page...we're just phrasing it different ways.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #528
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,657

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I don't think you should say something like this if you're an elected official. It appears to condone it, even if that's the last thing on the speaker's mind.
    I'm not sure that acknowledging reality = condoning something.

  9. #529
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,611

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I don't think you should say something like this if you're an elected official. It appears to condone it, even if that's the last thing on the speaker's mind.
    I'm a little surprised there wasn't a follow up question to the statement, "I know a guy who wears a tutu and goes into bars on Friday nights."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  10. #530
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,657

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I think we all get what he is saying...the point is he shouldnt be saying it especially to kids. He is tacitly endorsing the action even in the best light. (and lets not pretend that is light he is bathing in right now)

    And again, there is zero chance the knife cuts both ways. If he walks into my bar in Minneapolis (a very tolerant area) and starts spouting homophobic nonsense I would not tell him he should expect to get beat down for saying it. Sure it might happen, but he is no more deserving of it than he seems to imply the man in the tutu is.

    It is this type of crap and these types of statements that lead to the idea that women are asking for it...oh dont dress slutty, dont drink, dont hang out with the football team if you dont want to get raped. You have no one to blame but yourself...
    As I said to Kepler, I don't think acknowledging a possible reality = endorsing something.

    I wouldn't say that someone spouting homophobic nonsense should expect to get beat up for it, but at the same time, I would certainly advise them for their own safety not to go into a bar and start spouting that off.

  11. #531
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,930

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    It's just another example of how we never learn or progress as a species. The movie The Accused starring Jodie Foster came out in 1988. Yet, rape is still considered ok and women are still "asking" for it.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  12. #532

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,175

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Fox is starting the sound a lot like Scientology. If you're harassed by their star performers you're ostracized and smeared. When complaints are filed, management forms a wall and deflects, denies, deceives. I guess this should not be a surprise -- it's how authoritarian cults work. But just think of the damage this particular cult has done to the country over the last 30 years.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  13. #533
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,298

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    In an update of that story: They Filed The Class Action

    "An expanded lawsuit filed Tuesday accuses Fox News Channel of racial discrimination “that appears more akin to Plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment.”

    The lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court, adds eight former and current Fox employees to a case involving three former Fox workers and their accusations against a since-fired Fox financial executive. It also expands the case to include Dianne Brandi, Fox’s chief counsel. "
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  14. #534
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,930

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/u...smtyp=cur&_r=0

    An Ohio woman who was abducted and trapped in a pit in her neighbor’s shed was found early Wednesday after the authorities investigated reports of cries coming from the house’s backyard, the police said.

    The police identified the suspect as Dennis Dunn and said that he had been taken into custody and charged with one count of kidnapping. The woman was taken to a hospital.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  15. #535

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,175

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  16. #536
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,657

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's just another example of how we never learn or progress as a species. The movie The Accused starring Jodie Foster came out in 1988. Yet, rape is still considered ok and women are still "asking" for it.
    I'm not sure how we got from saying it might not be a good idea to walk into a backwards southern bar cross-dressed to women are asking to be raped? Seems like a big leap?

  17. #537
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,930

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I'm not sure how we got from saying it might not be a good idea to walk into a backwards southern bar cross-dressed to women are asking to be raped? Seems like a big leap?
    Have you seen the unreported rape statistics? The whole concept of "asking for it" needs to end. Just like the whole concept of "enforcer" in hockey needs to end.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #538
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    5,657

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Have you seen the unreported rape statistics? The whole concept of "asking for it" needs to end. Just like the whole concept of "enforcer" in hockey needs to end.
    I understand, but the subject was never rape in this thread?

  19. #539
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,930

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I understand, but the subject was never rape in this thread?
    No, but asking for it was. In that context it applies.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  20. #540
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,971

    Re: Nice Planet 13: This Planet Sucks

    I was going to make the same comment scooby. This is victim blaming.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •